Sign in to follow this  
sophos

General questions about Ad-Aware Free 10

Hi! I've installed the final release of Ad-aware 10 [b]FREE[/b]. I have some problems with my windows firewall, since the installation of Ad-aware.Something is messed up. Look at the screenshot.

questions
1 how long can i keep using 9x bc its asking remove norton
no thank youi not interested in that i want keep my own
and will 9 ask to upgrade or can i keep using 9 or is it discontinued Edited by cootmaster

After installing latest ad-aware 10 on xp sp3, running s scan and removing detected objects I got blue screen referencing sbhips.sys on rebooting. F8 last configuration that worked did not help. In safe mode I could not see enough of the user interface to figure out how to restore objects from quarantine. Uninstalling the antivirus part of the program was not possible in safe mode. I had to do a system restore as no other options were available to me.

[quote name='cootmaster' timestamp='1333203944' post='133975']
questions
1 how long can i keep using 9x bc its asking remove norton
no thank youi not interested in that i want keep my own
and will 9 ask to upgrade or can i keep using 9 or is it discontinued
[/quote]Lavasoft generally supports a version during 18 months. Since 9.6 was released approx. 6 months ago, it will be possible to use 9.6 during approx. one year from now (if they don't change the policy).

[quote name='sldk72' timestamp='1333204599' post='133976']
After installing latest ad-aware 10 on xp sp3, running s scan and removing detected objects I got blue screen referencing sbhips.sys on rebooting. F8 last configuration that worked did not help. In safe mode I could not see enough of the user interface to figure out how to restore objects from quarantine. Uninstalling the antivirus part of the program was not possible in safe mode. I had to do a system restore as no other options were available to me.
[/quote]Do you have another antivirus program installed? It might have been a conflict between the two antivirus programs.

System restore is a good tool :)

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1333191296' post='133974']
Hi! I've installed the final release of Ad-aware 10 [b]FREE[/b]. I have some problems with my windows firewall, since the installation of Ad-aware.Something is messed up. Look at the screenshot.
[/quote]What does Ad-Aware main screen say about the firewall?

[quote name='cootmaster' timestamp='1333219444' post='133988']
ok ty
[/quote]
No problem

[quote name='CeciliaB' timestamp='1333219622' post='133990']
What does Ad-Aware main screen say about the firewall?
[/quote]
What can it say, it's disabled in free version.:)

Fixed(?) I've disabled Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter in local area connection properties.Windows firewall was still not working properly, even after restart. Uninstalled Ad-Aware FREE(Settings and definitions saved for reinstall), then installed it again. Now my windows firewall works fine. Do I need [b]Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter[/b] to be checked(enabled) for Ad-Aware to work on 100% or not?

edit: Enabled [b]Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter again. No probs for now, bus still curious-do I need this Sunbelt filter and what exactly is it's job?[/b]
[b]Thanks in advance! :)[/b] Edited by Smith999

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1333238248' post='133997']

What can it say, it's disabled in free version.:)
[/quote]
When you download and install the released Ad-Aware from Lavasoft, you should get a 30 day trial of Pro Security. But maybe it is possible that if you don't uninstall the beta version including deleting settings, Ad-Aware gets confused. I suggest that you uninstall Ad-Aware, including deleting settings, and then install it again with the file you fetch on Lavasoft web site.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1333262634' post='134001']
Fixed(?) I've disabled Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter in local area connection properties.Windows firewall was still not working properly, even after restart. Uninstalled Ad-Aware FREE(Settings and definitions saved for reinstall), then installed it again. Now my windows firewall works fine. Do I need [b]Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter[/b] to be checked(enabled) for Ad-Aware to work on 100% or not?

edit: Enabled [b]Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter again. No probs for now, bus still curious-do I need this Sunbelt filter and what exactly is it's job?[/b]
[b]Thanks in advance! :)[/b]
[/quote]Sorry, I didn't see your latest post before I answered the previous one :(
I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow about that file. But it is strange how often an uninstallation and installation solves problems.

[quote name='Tachikoma' timestamp='1333229754' post='133994']
What firewall does Ad-Aware 10 use?
[/quote]It is from Sunbelt, at least according to information in the driver files.

[quote name='CeciliaB' timestamp='1333276702' post='134006']
I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow about that file. But it is strange how often an uninstallation and installation solves problems.
[/quote]It is an essential part of the firewall but if you don't use the firewall, nothing should stop working when you disable it. The exact sentence is:
"If you disable the NDIS IM Filter in a network connection then the firewall will not monitor that network connection at all."

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1333456883' post='134097']
Thank You very much! :)
[/quote]You are welcome :)

Real-time protection will check files regardless of how they are downloaded.

I also wish Lavasoft gave the option to use their antivirus. Understandably it's a move towards making a bigger mark in the AV world but I've never been a proponant of anything that is forced upon me and I only ever used Adaware for Spyware. This of course isnt to say that Lavasoft's AV isn't any good but I still prefer to have a choice. So for now it'll be version 9 untill it's no longer supported.

[quote name='MistahMan' timestamp='1337033532' post='135589']
I also wish Lavasoft gave the option to use their antivirus. Understandably it's a move towards making a bigger mark in the AV world but I've never been a proponant of anything that is forced upon me and I only ever used Adaware for Spyware. This of course isnt to say that Lavasoft's AV isn't any good but I still prefer to have a choice. So for now it'll be version 9 untill it's no longer supported.
[/quote]Many persons have wished that, so maybe there will a special anti-spyware version of Ad-Aware in the future.

I have a question that is important, this product found 7 viruses on my computer that my regular anti virus did not find, good god,,, these 7 viruses were put in quarantine, HERE IS THE IMPORTANT QUESTION,,, do I leave the viruses in quarantine forever or do I delete them,,,, it seems that yesterday this program found 3 viruses I did delete them but today I ran the program again and it found 7 viruses. PLEASE HELP

Hi debb.depot,

You can leave them in quarantine for a week or so. All antivirus programs now and then have false positives, you should leave the infected files in quarantine until you are sure they are not false positives, that is one of your programs has stopped working.

It seems that Ad-Aware has found a lot of things in your computer every day, either you have a really bad infection that needs special treatment or Ad-Aware finds cookies. Do you know who to make a screen shot (Print Screen)? If yes, please make one on the quarantine tab in Ad-Aware and attach to your answer.

Depending on what were found I will move your question into its own topic, since your question isn't a general question about just Ad-Aware 10.