Sign in to follow this  
LS.Andy

Suggestions & ideas - what features would you like to see in Ad-Aware 10?

1, 5 and 6) Other persons have written that they want the opposite.

3) It is Windows that displays the balloon notification and not Ad-Aware.

6) Do you mean real-time protection? You control that on the tab Real-Time Protection and if you set "Prompt User" Ad-Aware will ask you what to do.

1) A schedule scan should run silently and should take necessary action of it own.that is the real reason why most company includes schedule scan.
3)Avg,avira,avast doesn't do that.

game mode should put ad-aware 10 in automatic mode it should update,silently block virus but in this version you have mentioned game mode doesn't allow automatic update.

Hehe. :) I like to use my PC for other things, not for protecting it 24/7. :ph34r: :P

p.s. And it's still protected, by the way, just not with the latest of the latest definitions. Edited by Smith999

Hi,

AA9.x would tell you how many files it scanned at any given time, and since I have a general idea of how many files are scanned on my system, I had a reasonable sense of how much time was left. With AA 10, this information is missing.

Vivek

Hi:

I installed Adaware 10 and I HATED it.

[b][color=#ff0000]Problems:[/color][/b]

1. The software wasn't as lean and fast as implied (in those annoying messages to upgrade to version 10 while using version 9.6). While the installer was very small, around 5.9MB the installed package was much bigger than version 9.6. The bloated features made my system startup much slower than version 9.6.

2. The GUI - I know the recommend screen resolution is 1024 x 768 but since I value my eyesight I've always used 800 x 600. Since upgrading to version 10 I am unable to see the whole GUI unless I use the 1024 x 768 resolution and even then there seem to be problems with the GUI.

I clicked on the minimize button because I wanted the GUI to get a little smaller so that I could view it completely in with my 800 x 600 resolution. That didn't happen. Instead the software just went to the taskbar.

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b]800 x 600 resolution[/b][/color][/size]
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/lapetite66/LavasoftGUIat800x600.jpg

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b]1024 x 768 resolution[/b][/color][/size]
[url="http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/lapetite66/LavasoftGUIat1024x768_VirusList.jpg"]http://i11.photobuck...8_VirusList.jpg[/url]

3. Showed viruses names in quarantine but NOT what file was infected with the said virus or where that infected file was located. It's all well and good to know the type of virus but if I don't know what file ie where it's located I could make the mistake of downloading that file again if I deleted it. By the by, clicking on the name of the quarantined file didn't show me any information and I don't want to have to go to C:Program Files just to find out information that should be readily available...like it was in version 9.6.

[size=5][color=#FF0000][b]Quarantine Images[/b][/color][/size]
[url="http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/lapetite66/LavasoftGUIat1024x768_VirusList.jpg"]http://i11.photobuck...8_VirusList.jpg[/url]

[b][color=#ff0000]Suggestion:[/color][/b]

1. Make the software package (installed) lean and fast as advertised BUT still effective and efficient.

2. Fix the GUI so that it can be seen in a minimized view (not on the taskbar!!!). You know more like the Adaware 9.6 GUI.

3. Show quarantined viruses but also show [b]what[/b] file was infected as well as [b]where[/b] that file is located. There should also be a button that would allow you print out the scan logs because I shouldn't have to go to Program file/Adaware to get something that should be at my fingertips. Edited by lapetite66

Just so you know, I have uninstalled Ad-Aware as a result of this misguided "upgrade" and will not be renewing. Constant BSODs and hogging 95% of my CPU when it wasn't crashing is just completely unacceptable. You've managed to turn what was a really good program into malware. Nice work, guys.

[quote name='lapetite66' timestamp='1338423057' post='136115']
3. Show quarantined viruses but also show [b]what[/b] file was infected as well as [b]where[/b] that file is located. There should also be a button that would allow you print out the scan logs because I shouldn't have to go to Program file/Adaware to get something that should be at my fingertips.
[/quote]

Immediately after the scan you are able to click on it and it will show you what and where. Problem is, when adaware is closed/restarted, you will no longer be able to do so, and the report list will not tell you either (it seems that instead of first quarantining a file, it just deletes it instead.. with certain filetypes like txt.. they should fix this soon..) Anyway, if you go to C:\programdata\lavasoft\antimalware\history you will find the logs, including the information of where/which files were deleted in the process, and why. It would be nice to see this in the program, so I hope this will be introduced soon so there is no need to manually search for what exactly is going on (and people will be satisfied with the newest versions rather than going back to the old ones :)

ok nevermind.. I uninstalled this piece of crap. How the hell do I get rid of the ''safe browsing" I uninstalled the program and it still bothers me! (found out now, I had to find a hidden folder that it left on my computer after uninstalling) #$#@%#%@$% great job on creating the most trustworthy malware I guess.. I will now definately never ever ever ever install anything from lavasoft again.. such a shame because it used to be a proper piece of software Edited by Betterbest

[quote name='lapetite66' timestamp='1338423057' post='136115']
3. Showed viruses names in quarantine but NOT what file was infected with the said virus or where that infected file was located. It's all well and good to know the type of virus but if I don't know what file ie where it's located I could make the mistake of downloading that file again if I deleted it. By the by, clicking on the name of the quarantined file didn't show me any information and I don't want to have to go to C:Program Files just to find out information that should be readily available...like it was in version 9.6.

3. Show quarantined viruses but also show [b]what[/b] file was infected as well as [b]where[/b] that file is located. There should also be a button that would allow you print out the scan logs because I shouldn't have to go to Program file/Adaware to get something that should be at my fingertips.
[/quote]
You double-click on the threat name and a new window is displayed containing folder and file name of original file.

[attachment=9398:Skärmklipp.PNG]

[quote name='Betterbest' timestamp='1338432889' post='136120']
ok nevermind.. I uninstalled this piece of crap. How the hell do I get rid of the ''safe browsing" I uninstalled the program and it still bothers me! (found out now, I had to find a hidden folder that it left on my computer after uninstalling) #$#@%#%@$% great job on creating the most trustworthy malware I guess.. I will now definately never ever ever ever install anything from lavasoft again.. such a shame because it used to be a proper piece of software
[/quote]
Did you uninstall both Ad-Aware Antivirus and Ad-Aware Browsing protection?

[quote name='CeciliaB' timestamp='1338460711' post='136137']
Did you uninstall both Ad-Aware Antivirus and Ad-Aware Browsing protection?
[/quote]
Yes I did, had quite some trouble figuring out that the uninstall left the browsing protection on my pc, where I even specifically chose not to install that part! When I uninstall something it's only normal that it will uninstall all components of the software.. Anyway problems are fixed now, no more lavasoft software detected, gone back to my old antivirus. Maybe if in the future the software doesn't make my laptop a frustrating piece of equipment I will consider trying it, but for now I'm pretty much done with it. A shame.. I loved adaware a couple of years ago. Edited by Betterbest

[quote name='tjbinno' timestamp='1335551504' post='135048']
Great that you have added an anti-virus. But for those of us who want to remain with our trusted anti-virus, please make a more positive way of disabling your antivirus. Yes I know I can disable by setting (one or more) buttons, but even now I'm not sure if its completely turned off.

You should provide an "anti-virus" on or off switch just as you provided many other options.
[/quote]

Me too. I always used Ad-Aware as an antispyware tool and made scans on demand. I don't want to unistall my other antivirus software to install Ad-Aware. So, is it possible to install Ad-Adware with disabled antivirus detection using another antivirus software? Edited by kjz1

[quote name='kjz1' timestamp='1341057745' post='136959']

Me too. I always used Ad-Aware as an antispyware tool and made scans on demand. I don't want to unistall my other antivirus software to install Ad-Aware. So, is it possible to install Ad-Adware with disabled antivirus detection using another antivirus software?
[/quote]
Hi kjz1,

It is only one engine in Ad-Aware 10 instead of two in Ad-Aware 9.x. This makes version 10 much faster and lighter than version 9.

But the reason why you shouldn't have another antivirus program installed when you install Ad-Aware 10, is not that Ad-Aware can detect viruses. It is that Ad-Aware 10 has full real-time protection while Ad-Aware 9 Free only has a limited real-time protection. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30909&view=findpost&p=125582 is written for version 9 Pro (with full real-time protection), the principle is still the same.

Ad-Aware installation program should create a restore point before installation and before uninstallation of Ad-Aware. Even small programs as Java run-time creates restore points before installation of an update and Java doesn't have any drivers that can crash Windows.

Personnally, I would like to either see the antivirus removed from adaware and go back to malware/spyware. Or make the program so that you can install what you want not what it wants. For this reason I have removed 10 and back to 9.6. When you quit updating 9.6 I guess life with Adaware will be over for me unless you fix the antivirus install issues. Please go back the the great product you had and stay out of the Antivirus business there are enough doing that now. Just my two cents. Edited by juliopasqualli

[quote name='juliopasqualli' timestamp='1341493932' post='137059']
Personnally, I would like to either see the antivirus removed from adaware and go back to malware/spyware. Or make the program so that you can install what you want not what it wants. For this reason I have removed 10 and back to 9.6. When you quit updating 9.6 I guess life with Adaware will be over for me unless you fix the antivirus install issues. Please go back the the great product you had and stay out of the Antivirus business there are enough doing that now. Just my two cents.
[/quote]
Hi juliopasqualli,

Message received! Please see my post here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32555-every-time-i-run-live-update-w-9x-the-program-says-unexpectly-needs-to-close/page__view__findpost__p__137027

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

Since lavasoft update is very slow if you don't update it for some days it will take hours to update.To solve this problem you should either provide we users offline updates like avast or you could implement p2p updater like spyware terminator which i found most effective updater of all antimalware so that we users don't have hassle in updating Ad-aware.

[quote name='megamind' timestamp='1342077370' post='137185']
Since lavasoft update is very slow if you don't update it for some days it will take hours to update.To solve this problem you should either provide we users offline updates like avast or you could implement p2p updater like spyware terminator which i found most effective updater of all antimalware so that we users don't have hassle in updating Ad-aware.
[/quote]
It's probably your internet speed. The update process is very fast here. It takes about 10 seconds to update, and I'm updating it manually, 2-3 times a week.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1342214836' post='137218']
It's probably your internet speed. The update process is very fast here. It takes about 10 seconds to update, and I'm updating it manually, 2-3 times a week.
[/quote]

I am from India. getting fast internet connection is still costly here there are lot of countries with this issue i only like them to improve updater so that if i some how get disconnected form internet definition update would resume from that position not from beginning that would help us a lot.

Currently using Ad-Aware Free 10.2, and finding UI somewhat frustrating. Sometimes a user wants to ignore a detected threat and leave the file as-is. There are many reasons for this, including false positives, awareness of threat vs. usefulness of file, etc.

1. With other AV's and I'm certain previous Ad-Aware versions, it was possible to select "Add to ignore list" as an action for a detected threat. With Ad-Aware 10.2, selecting "Ignore" DOES NOT add the item to the ignore list, it simply prevents any action being taken THIS TIME ONLY.

[b]Please add an option, "Add to Ignore List" to the available actions.[/b]

2. When Real-Time Protection detects and quarantines a threat that I would like to ignore, to actually achieve this requires a convoluted series of manual actions:[list=1]
[*]Switch off Real-Time Protection
[*]Open the Quarantine list, select the item and click Restore. Note that if step 1 is not taken first, RTP simply re-quarantines the file almost instantly - dumb!
[*]Open the Ignore list, click Add, then browse to the file and select it.
[*]Switch on Real-Time Protection.
[/list]
[b]Please add a third button to the Quarantine list, "Restore and add to Ignore List"[/b] Edited by cogs