Sign in to follow this  
LS.Andy

Suggestions & ideas - what features would you like to see in Ad-Aware 10?

Hey there.

First and foremost, this is an excellent Anti-Virus solution. I love it and have used Ad-Aware since 2004 (before it was both an Anti-Spyware AND an Anti-Virus).

Anyway, I don't know whether what I'm about to suggest is anything new, as I didn't bother to read all the the posts. So, if it's already been said, sorry.

I have two reasons I don't use this solution anymore:

1. Version updates. I don't feel like looking up the current version or those before, but here is my example. Having to RE-INSTALL from say, version: 10.4.400 to 10.4.410 is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm currently using Avira and when it has the same kind of version updates I'm talking about here, you don't even need to restart, let alone re-install. The only time you should need to re-install an A.V. is when you're changing from the MAIN version #. Ya know, from say 10 to 11 or 11 to 12. But it becomes very annoying having to re-install this problem every month or so. Anyhow, I'm rambling now.

2. Exclusions! I really can't stand how the exclusions work here. You cannot add a whole folder. That sucks, big time. You have to add each individual file you wanna add, when you could add the whole folder and be done with it.

Oh, and another thing that would be wonderful: Opera and Chromium Ad-Aware Security Toolbars! That would be excellent.

Other than all of that, it is one heck of an A.V. and I would love to use it again. But I become annoyed with all the listed above problems.

So... Thank you for the always wonderful program, take care, and may the Lord be with ya.

Guest ght1

1) Remove the message "Ad-Aware will continue to protect your computer against malware" from the system tray icon :unsure:

2) Remove the warning "ACTIVATE the identity protection" if someone isn't living in the US and therefore can't activate it :angry2:

3) Don't install the useless Ad-Aware search plugin 0.6 in the Firefox add-ons :closedeyes:

4) The previous GUI was much better, I don't like the full screen window :blink:

Thank you for this thread; I hope to see some improvements/changes in the next version.

5) Virus warnings should be displayed in front of the firefox window, not behind. :(

post-86072-0-63157500-1356200461.png

From another forum:

After using Ad-Aware for a while, I have uninstalled it. While on the whole it is very light, at times CPU use does get high which is why I ditched it. Also I didn't like the fact that new releases have to be manually downloaded and installed. I guess this is okay for major releases, but for minor updates I would prefer if Ad-Aware could do the updating on its own.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2168213&postcount=176

And the answer to that post:

Yeah, that makes Ad-aware VERY unfriendly for other computer installs (for friends) because you'll have to update it for them all the time...
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2168297&postcount=177

From another topic:

Please consider a Fully Automatic Game/Fullscreen Mode in future. Many AV/FW programs already have this in place including Avast Free, AVG Free, Outpost Free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Panda AV-Pro, HitmanPro, to name a few, all have fully automatic Game Modes.

A Manual Game Mode is Useless & might as well not be their IMO as I've already described in detail, I wont be bothered to use it as I'm sure most wouldent. As I feared, turning it on & off ten times a day your bound to forget it on etc.?, this would leave your PC at risk. Manual just dosen't work. :(

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33047-gaming-mode/

It should be possible to select to install Ad-Aware in the on-demand scanner mode. There are already two topics in the forum where other antivirus programs aren't detected, Comodo and Norman. It will also always be a gap between the release of a new antivirus program version and a necessary Ad-Aware update to discover this new version.

Ad-Aware should turn off Defender when installing in Windows 8, that seems to be the normal behaviour for other antivirus programs.

When Ad-Aware's firewall is activated, Ad-Aware should turn off Windows firewall since that is the normal behaviour by other firewall programs.

When Ad-Aware is uninstalled it should turn on Windows firewall, normal behaviour too.

p2p means adware users can download definition from other adware users it will be faster and there will be less load on lavasoft update servers.

Smart installer means suppose i click on lavasoft installer then web installer will start downloading necessary files form lavasoft servers lets say suppose due to some odd reason my Internet gets disconnected with current lavasoft installer installation will fail but with smart updater when I click on lavasoft installer again installation will resume from exact point when my network was disconnected.

5) Virus warnings should be displayed in front of the firefox window, not behind. :(

I fully agree with the contents of this post although I don't notice any impact to Firefox 18 by Adaware.

My main complaint is that AdAware reports problems without telling anything about their identity. I have yet to find any way to identify what was found or what its risk is.

Another item is the update process mentioned in an earlier post. I find it very confusing and totally misleading. I have version 10.4.49.4168 and an offer to upgrade to a new version. When I try to download the update to 10.5 manually I wind up having to login to MyLavasoft which I never heard of and since my normal Lavasoft id doesn't work, I try to create a new account. That also doesn't work. I'm left with only one option: get a new password for my old account. Here again, is a glitch. After numerous refreshes I still haven't received that email. It has been over an hour and still no email.

This message means nothing:

"A new password has been sent to your email address.

Please check your inbox, junk, spam and bulk folder"

Hi Thunderbill,

To get more information about quarantined items, you double-click the threat name on the Quarantine tab to see the file name.

You can download 10.5 from http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware.php, if you have a problem using the "Free Update" button on the web page that the program displays.

• Like 1

Thanks. Perhaps you can tell me why Windows 8 doesn't recognize that AdAware is up and running. It always reports no AV active.

Please, start a new topic in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/forum/184-ad-aware-10x/ since Lavasoft needs more information to know, and this is a general suggestion topic.

In reply to this thread, I'd like to request that you remove or let us hide the annoying popup that shows when ad-aware is minimized.

I am seeing this popup every single time I start my machine because I have the ad-aware icon set to "only show notifications".

The message is useless and shown too frequently, it is annoying me to the point that I am thinking about removing your software.

Please remove it or let me check a box that stops it from displaying in the future.

Guest ght1

The message is useless and shown too frequently, it is annoying me to the point that I am thinking about removing your software.

Please remove it or let me check a box that stops it from displaying in the future.

Here is an update of my suggestions:

1) Remove the obtrusive message "Ad-Aware will continue to protect your computer against malware" from the system tray icon!!!

2) The systray icon shouldn't disappear when opening the GUI

3) Remove the warning "ACTIVATE the identity protection" if someone isn't living in the US and therefore can't activate it

4) Lavasoft should integrate automatic program updates soon

5) Eicar.com has been deleted without any warning - sometimes the pop up doesn't work or is in the background of the browser window.

6) The GUI shouldn't be fullscreen size

7) Don't force the user to register for a free version

I can't understand why Ad-Aware is unable to implement such a simple thing as point 1) within one month!!! :angry: I removed Ad-Aware on several computer because I hate that annoying notifications.

It's annoying that suspected items are moved to quarantine automatically when manually scanning, with no apparent means of adjusting this behaviour (well, not in the manual, the help, or the FAQ).

I want to choose (ask, ignore, quarantine, delete, disinfect, etc). I know too many cases where AV programs have "healed" infections, which later turn out to be false positives, (or worse; "healed" false positives inside databases, thoroughly corrupting the database) or "moved" files that should not be moved (whether false positive or not), particularly when this causes another program to crash and burn. My STRONG preference is for tools to allow me to decide on the required action. My strong preference is for an AV tool to do nothing that may cause data loss in another application - and moving files without asking can definitely do that. Only the user has the context to make that call.

I can understand a real-time scanner needing to prevent access to an infected file; but I'm not using the real-time scanner (I use another solution). [Even on the real-time scanner, I'd like the choice]. Other AV products offer a choice of default action, (and of the action at the time of scan).

Hi MalWatts,

But you can choose what to do with the threats found during a manual scan. On the "Infected Files" tab of the "Scan Results", you can choose between Quarantine, Ignore, Delete and Disinfect.

Thankyou for Ad-Aware Pro Security

I was recently testing malware samples and in the process somehow I had a change made to my registry and would like to see some protection built into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I was able to fix it through comodo cleanning essentials repairing the entry but it took me some time to find the right tool to see what was going on
as I was only able to log on to my account and get a explorer window but not a desktop I was able to run full scan via taskmanager run feature but nothing showed up odd
untill I ran comodo cleaning essetials so if these registry keys could be protected in the next update or beta that would be awesome

Thanks for your hard work in making Lavasoft great

post-100958-0-68560600-1367171246_thumb.jpg

Hi Lighthouse,

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to provide such a detailed description. This is an excellent suggestion and will be put forward for consideration for inclusion in Ad-Aware.

Regards,

Andy

Lavasoft Malware Lab

I just wanted to say the obnoxious popup in the system tray that announces Adaware is active on your computer every time you reboot HAS to go, or Adaware goes off my computer....

I know it is imortant to you guys that you be acknowledged for your work, but just imagine if EVERY programmer who added something to mycomputer had to also have a little popup announcing that their program was installed and running....

BAD BAD BAD BAD ADAWARE!

Guest ght1

I just wanted to say the obnoxious popup in the system tray that announces Adaware is active on your computer every time you reboot HAS to go, or Adaware goes off my computer....

I hate the popup too and because Lavasoft is unable to fix such a simple thing within 1.5 months I don't recommend or install Ad-Aware any more. Sorry Lavasoft! :blush:

Edited by ght1