• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zon14

Ad-Aware 10 does not start

6 posts in this topic

So here's what I did so far.[list=1]
[*]Installed 10.x over 9.6. on Vista 64bit. Installation went off without errors or any notifications.
[*]Tried starting 10.x and...nothing happens. No errors no notifications, nothing.
[*]I look through the logs and came across this notable entry. "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Lbd". Now I don't know if this file is part of the 10.x suite or not, but I look for an lbd.inf file, and fail to find it anywhere.
[*]Uninstall 10.x and reinstall 9.6.
[*]Completely uninstall 9.6 as much as possible, down to booting regedit and manually removing any entries releated to AdAware.
[*]Reinstall 10.x with same results.
[/list]
The only other relevant error log I get is 'DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service Ad-Aware Service with arguments "" in order to run the server:'

I do have Avira Antivirus so I'm not sure if that would block anything or not. That's what I got so far.

zon14,

Installing two antivirus is not recommend you are lucky that you didn't get BSOD like other people who are trying to install AD-aware 10 with other antivirus.Ad-aware 10 is full fledge antivirus with antispyware.
Remove Avira then install ad-aware 10. Edited by megamind

I went ahead and uninstalled both Avira and Ad-Aware, thinking that may be the former was interfering with installation, and tried reinstalling Ad-Aware again. Same results. lbd isn't there, and the Ad-Aware server won't start.

I may be forced to downgrade back to 9.6 since I don't want online without some sort of antivirus installed.

Hi zon14,

Lbd.sys is a part of Ad-Aware 9 and not Ad-Aware 10, as far as I know.

Have you followed Avira's instructions for manual uninstallation to be certain that whole Avira has been removed? http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/902

I had a nearly identical problem that still has not resolved, however I did not have Avira. My Avast subscription had run out and I uninstalled it before downloading the new AdAware. The installation seemed painless and easy, I was prompted to restart for final phase, and then I noticed something wrong. After the restart, AAW did not run the scan that I was told would start so I clicked user icon to logon to windows and double clicked desktop icon to open the Adaware user panel.
It did not open.
After a couple of tries, I went to services.msc where I found that Ad-Aware had 2 services listed, one with the description "Manages your antispyware and antivirus application" which was started and automatic, and the other simply "Ad-Aware Service" which while automatic was not. Itried to start from there and got " Windows could not start the Ad-Aware Service service on local computer. Error 1053: tThe service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
I have since downloaded Avira as a stopgap protection, but I dont have faith in it like i have had in past for AdAware. After 2 weeks of trying to get it working however I am considering going with Norton or McAfee. Any chance of fixing this issue?

Hi Stormpc,

Did you run Avira's special clean-up tool after uninstalling it and before installing Ad-Aware 10?
Avira RegistryCleaner: http://www.avira.com/en/downloads

If you still has the same problem after that, please see if http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32398-solution-if-ad-aware-does-not-start-after-clicking-program-icon/ is applicable.