Sign in to follow this  
Jessicajil

Lost internet connection after un-installing Ad-aware 10 blue-screen

I have a lap-top running Windows 7 with a dual-core processor.
I up-dated from Ad-aware 9 to Adaware 10 as prompted by a message.
Since then, it took up to half an hour or more for the lap-top to come out of hibernation; and programs have appallingly slowly with delays.

As a result which I then un-installed it through Control Panel. Half way through it came up with a blue-screen saying something about a serious error, but it disappeared before I could write it down.
I chose the 'Start Windows Normally' option and it re-booted OK

I went back to Control Panel and Ad-aware was still there, so I clicked on un-install again, and after a moment or two it came up with a message saying that installation was already in progress, and then went ahead.

I re-booted after it had finished and found that I had lost wireless connectivity. I thought at first it was just because it no longer had the password for my router, but after typing that in it still did not work.

I have tried connecting direct to the router using a LAN cable, but no luck.

I went through all the BT and Windows trouble-shooting and they just said that there was a problem with the LAN and network adaptors.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I should have mentioned that I tried System Restore from two different points but each time it reported that it had failed. [/font][/color]

Does anyone know what I do now? Edited by Jessicajil

Hi Jessicajil,

Have you tried a system restore (in safe mode) to a restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware 10?

I have exactly the same problem post Ad-Aware 10 - I uninstalled it and now my wireless network adapter is broken post blue-screen-of-death. I tried a system restore in safe mode to pre-ad-aware 10 days, but got blue-screen again and it wouldn't restore. Help!!

Hi 0darroch,

Which Windows do you have?

What is the important information on the blue screen?
Near the top an error message in capital letters (for example BAD_POOL)
Near the bottom a row starting with STOP
Below that sometimes a file name

Can you start the computer in Safe Mode?
Start the computer in Safe mode by tapping F8 key repeatedly during the start and select [b]Safe mode[/b] in the menu, see [url=http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx]http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx[/url].

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks so much for replying! I'm on Windows 7. The blue screen tells me that an error has been detected, and that information is being sent to the crash dump. The screen is only up for 3-5secs, so I haven't managed to see the file name I'm afraid. Sorry! This happens when I try the system restore both in non-safe mode and in safe mode. I've tried doing the system restore to a point before Ad-aware updated to version 10, but the same blue screen comes up and it will not let the system restore complete.

The rest of the computer is working very well with no problems at all.

I'm currently running a factory reset - the computer's only 2 months' old so there's not that much to lose, and I've backed up the important stuff. With a bit of luck the factory reset will reset the wireless network adapter's software too. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for replying!
0darroch

Hi 0darroch,

You are welcome :)

When the factory reset is done, it is probably good to change the settings to let the blue screen stay instead of that the computer restarts automatically after a few seconds:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

P.S. There are methods to save files even if Windows doesn't start.
In Windows 7 there is an alternative to make a startup repair in the F8 menu with Safe Mode.