Sign in to follow this  
libran38

Why trial and Symantec Endpoint

Hi,

I have tried to install the Free version of AA 10, but both times I tried, I get the 30 day trial version for AA Pro. The first time I thought I had made a mistake and asked for the Pro version. I un-installed, and then re-installed today, and I was very careful to ensure that I only asked for the Free version However, I still have a 30-day trial of AA Pro. What gives? BTW, I had to click the download button a couple of times before it started the download; the first time I clicked download, it brought me back to the same page (I have Windows XP).

Also, I have scanned some of the posts about AA 10 interfering with previously installed anti-virus programs. I have Symantec Endpoint Protection. I didn't get any complaints during the installation process, so I am guessing that AA is happy with what I have. right?

thanks

Vivek

p.s. It's a very nice product. thanks.

Hi libran38,

Yes, it is correct that you get a 30 day trial of Ad-Aware Pro Security. If you don't want to use the extra features, you turn off everything below "Advanced Protection" on the main screen.

If you don't have any issues running Ad-Aware together with Symantec Endpoint Protection, you can continue to do so. Common issues with running two antivirus programs together are crashes in Windows with bluescreen (BSOD) and very slow computer.

I'll forward your "thanks" to my contact person at Lavasoft.

Hi Cecilia,

thanks for the quick response. I have a couple of follow-ups

AA9.x would tell you how many files it scanned at any given time, and since I had a general idea of how many files were scanned, I had a reasonable sense of how much time was left. With AA 10, this information is missing.

Also, can I turn off the anti-virus in AA, or is that not doable? I obviously don't want a slow computer.

vivek

Hi vivek,

You are welcome :)

Please, add suggestions to the topic http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32154-suggestions-ideas-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-in-ad-aware-10/ since it is monitored by Lavasoft staff.

You can't turn off only the antivirus part since it is only one engine in Ad-Aware 10 (to reduce the used resources). It is not really the antivirus part that sometimes collides with other antivirus program, it is that even version 10 Free Antivirus+ has a complete real-time protection instead of the limited one in 9.x Free.

Do you think your computer is slow now?

Hi Cecilia,

hard to say if it is slow. It does seem a little sluggish, especially when I am doing a scan (don't recall that much sluggishness before).

Is it possible to revert back to 9.x? I am happy with my anti-virus, and I use AA on top of that. Not quite ready to ditch my old anti-virus.

vivek

Hi vivek,

I think your computer is running nicely without any conflicts. To get it run smoother during a scan, click "Settings" on the main screen of Ad-Aware, select "Performance Settings" and drag the orange buttons marked "Quick" and "Full" to "Lowest". Then Ad-Aware will get lower priority than other things you do at the computer.

It is possible to download Ad-Aware 9.6 from FileHippo.

Hi Cecilia,

9.6.0 is available at http://www.filehorse.com/download-ad-aware/. Is that a legitimate site? I am always a little paranoid about downloading malware, etc. from unknown sites.

vivek

p.s. (I didn't see it on the site you mentioned)

Try this link.

[url="http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/10910/"]http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/10910/[/url]