Sign in to follow this  
cootmaster

every time i run live update w 9x the program says unexpectly needs to close

Hi BigSigh,

I informed my contact person at Lavasoft about your experience with the tech help in India.

Unfortunately it is impossible to make a product that satisfies everyone ;)

..>Unfortunately it is impossible to make a product that satisfies everyone ;)

I do know that. Ad Aware until now has just been so good! Re Total Security, I was perfectly satisfied with the ease with which I was able to get a refund. Just don't want to try 10 after that fiasco. And hoping that Andy and his cohorts will come through with the stand alone anti-spyware!

Thanks for passing the word about the tech help. It was very clear that they didn't know about this issue.

[size=5]I have been using Ad-Aware Anti-Spyware for several years, but I am about to remove it from my home systems. [/size]
[size=5]As a Software Developer, I'm getting fed up with the "Ad-Aware has unexpectedly terminated..." pop-ups every time a [/size]
[size=5]new update runs, and i am clearly not alone. As a long time developer myself, I expect the Lavasoft development team [/size]
[size=5]to use all the debugging tools at their disposal to fix this cronic issue ASAP. The excuse that this update and service restart [/size]
[size=5]issue is caused by conflicts with another AV program is just that - an excuse. Clearly something was changed that introduced[/size]
[size=5]this reproduceable problem and the Lavasoft development team needs to track down the root cause and create a fix or workaround.[/size]
[size=5]I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the AA update process is forcefully killing and restarting the AA service process rather [/size]
[size=5]tham gracefully telling[/size][size=5] it to use the updated files. But it could also be a transient file update, close, and reopen problem than needs [/size]
[size=5]improved retry logic - reading from an invalid handle will kill you every time..[/size]

[size=5]Also, Like many others, I was happy with Ad-Aware just being just an AntiSpyware, AntiAdware product. Even though it has a [/size]
[size=5]setting to turn off the AV component, it doesn't remember the AV on/off setting across restarts - a clear defect in the code. If I turn [/size]
[size=5]off Adaware AV scanning, I expect to stay turned off and not conflict with any other AV product on my systems. [/size]

[size=5]And the suggestion that we upgrade to AA 10 was a disaster. Where was the Lavasoft QA Team when AA 10 was released ?[/size]
[size=5]I had to roll back to the previous Windows restore point to get rid of the hangs and get my systems fully functional again. [/size]

[size=5]Please return basic Ad-Aware to just being the great AntiSpyware, AntiAdware product that it once was.[/size] Edited by AbsoluteJoe

[quote]Where was the Lavasoft QA Team when AA 10 was released ?[/quote]Hi AbsoluteJoe,

I guess they were testing the product following the requirement specification and that didn't mention that the product should be able to run together with other antivirus programs.

Hi there,

Just to add to the list of AV's with which AAW9.6 exhibits this problem, I found that AAW8.3.5 wouldn't now update and, on checking, found that it was no longer supported so updated to v9.6. I then started getting the above problems with updates and was ready to tear my hair (what little is left!) out when I found this topic on the forum.

I am running XP SP3 with Zonealarm (Firewall + Identity protection; Free AV disabled) and Avira Free AV 2012 as well as Ad-Aware. I guess that this means that there is a conflict between Ad-Aware and Avira for resources??

Anyway, as the problem is known about, this is just for info.
Regards

You can add Nod32 to the list. During updating the definitions Ad-Aware also crashes with the same eror message. It would be very nice if Lavasoft could develop a complementary version of Ad-Aware which cold be run as an on-demand-scanner with other antivirus software as a second defense line. Thanks! Edited by kjz1

Hi kjz1,

For the future see the post http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32555-every-time-i-run-live-update-w-9x-the-program-says-unexpectly-needs-to-close/page__view__findpost__p__137027 by LS Andy.

Hi HerbS1944,

It is decided that they will develop such a version, as you can see in my previous post. :)