• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dusf

Windows 8 Defender AND Ad-Aware Real-Time Protection?

4 posts in this topic

Hi

When I tried to scan today with Windows Defender on my recently upgraded Windows 8 computer it told me it was disabled because other spyware software was active and it brought up the spyware action centre showing an entry for Windows Defender and Ad-aware.

I was only able to access Windows Defender by disabling Ad-Aware from this action centre, which I confirmed in Ad-Aware itself is disabling Real-Time Protection.

Is there anyway I can have both pieces of software working at the same time alongside each other at the same time?

Hi dusf,

It is always possible that the drivers of two antivirus programs don't work together and the common recommendation is that you should only have one antivirus program with real-time protection. If there is a conflict between the drivers, it can cause crashes in Windows, computer slow-down etc.

Hi dusf,

It is always possible that the drivers of two antivirus programs don't work together and the common recommendation is that you should only have one antivirus program with real-time protection. If there is a conflict between the drivers, it can cause crashes in Windows, computer slow-down etc.

Hi CelciliaB

Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway around this short of reinstalling and then uninstalling Ad-Aware everytime I want to run a scan? I would really like the benefit of both Ad-Aware and Windows Defender if possible.

What security software do you use yourself apart from Ad-Aware? Re antivirus, antispyware and firewall?

Hi dusf,

You are welcome :)

I suggest that you have Ad-Aware installed and running with real-time protection, and then use Microsoft Safety Scanner as a second opinion (on-demand scanner). That scanner has the same possibilities as MSE to detect malicious files but doesn't install any drivers that can cause conflict with another antivirus program: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/

There are other online scanners, too, for example from Eset and F-secure. You can switch between different online scanners to get better coverage.

With Ad-Aware 10.5, it is possible to install it as only an on-demand scanner, see the release notes: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33131-ad-aware-105-released/

Then you can have MSE running with real-time protection, and use Ad-Aware as a second opinion, but tests performed by AV-test shows that Ad-Aware is better than MSE, so the other solution is probably better: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/

I have Ad-Aware Pro Security and WinPatrol running, and have installed NoScript and WOT add-ons to improve security in my browser (Firefox). I also take care of having all add-ons as Flash and Java updated, as well as other programs to avoid vulnerabilities. I haven't infected my computers, since I started to have a computer at home for more than 15 years. But someone with higher risk of getting an infected computer, could use more protections.