Sign in to follow this  
Josella

Intrusiveness of Ad Aware

I have the current personal paid version of Ad Aware and I'm using the antivirus and antispyware, real-time protection, and safe browsing functions. I've just paid for another years' protection but I'm finding this program so intrusive and I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to remedy this before I stop using it. When it's not crashing Firefox, it's slowing it down to the point where I have to restart my browser and sometimes even have to reboot the computer. It's slowing my system down to the point where my media player won't play songs smoothly and they play back distorted.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can have Ad Aware running in the background without taking over?

Thanks.

Hi Josella,

Since you have used Ad-Aware for a long time and Ad-Aware haven't changed a lot during at least 6 months and I'm using Firefox a lot without any issues, it must be something special with your computer.

Maybe you have some add-ons in Firefox that don't work well together with Ad-Aware.

Have you tried to start Firefox without any add-ons running?

You do that by selecting the Help menu in Firefox, and then "Restart with Add-ons disabled".

Any change?

Please, check that all extensions are up to date by browsing to https://www.mozilla.org/sv-SE/plugincheck/

I couldn't agree more with Josella about this 'rotten' software. I have been messing about and trying to use my laptop for the past 4 hours. I left off using this laptop because of the overbearing installation of new definition file updates which go on day after day for hours. I am now finding that Adaware is more intrusive than the viruses it attempt to control. I'm not sure which I would prefer!

There is a thing running almost constantly in the background called SBAM and there is simply no way either to stop or control this damned intrusion. The main problem is that Lavasoft determine how and when I want to update my definitions files when in fact I want to control what I run on my laptop and when I run it. The set-up features limit the running of this feature to once every 24 hours on a predetermined day. However it seems to run whenever it wants to and there is no way of stopping the damned thing depite there being a cancel button to which it doesn't respond.

If I could, I would schedule this to run once per week at a time when I am tucked up in bed during the early hours rather than delay my opportunity to use my laptop. Unless you are able to give me some reasuring response I almost certainly will unload this thing from my laptop and go elsewhere for a less intrusive anti-virus tool. Surely a definition file doesn't really need to be refreshed every day/hour!

Incidentally if it is of any help at all I am UK resident and an AOL user.

Hi Cromwell!

The forum is mainly a place for Ad-Aware users to help each other with common issues. It's seldom read by Lavasoft staff.

Ad-Aware doesn't behave in my computer as it does in yours. I don't notice that new definitions are downloaded several times a day while I'm using the computer and SBAM isn't running constantly. Do you want any help with investigating what the problem is in your computer?

For security reasons it's important to get new definitions as fast as possible. Many malicious files are only circulating 3-4 days, before they are replaced with new versions, and therefore it's crucial to get new definitions before the files try to sneak into the computer.

I am sorry but I am in pretty much agreement with others listed above. After the inclusion of the antivirus protection it became intrusive. Program like Samplitude, firefox and others that have a file opened at the time of closing would be held open for some time by SBAM. After finding out the cause of the delay in closing, I just knew to expect it. but I need to know of a way that I can unquarentine all of my files and restore them. It is now quarentining files that I have had since 1998 but now they are bad. Worse than that, when I try to restore them it needs to know where they are. This has been a very mundane process.It keeps scanning file that it has been told to ignore.

To the comunity: How do I restore all of the quarentined files?

Get the ignore list to work properly,

and stop SBAM from holding the programs open so long before allowing them to close.

James

Hi James,

Your Ad-Aware is definitely behaving different from Ad-Aware in my computer. If you want to investigate the matter, we need to know more about your computer.

Which version (number and type) of Ad-Aware do you have?

What antivirus program did you have before you installed Ad-Aware?

Did you use a special removal program from the antivirus company when you uninstalled it or only the usual way in Control Panel?

How long time ago did you install Ad-Aware?

Did you install Ad-Aware together with Safe Browsing Add-on (toolbar, search engine)?

Can you see the original location of a file if you double-click it in the quarantine?

Is it exactly the same as the location you have entered in the ignore list?

My Ad-Aware is version 10.5.1.4369 Free

I had Avast and Ad-Aware both running together. Since the update included the anti-virus portion, it shut down Avast.

There was no removal program used.

I have been using Ad-Aware more than a year.

Yes I did install it with the Safe Browsing Add-On.

I and running 14 drives for a total of 4TB and a total of 322 windows installed programs. These include drives with various OSes That can be run on my older machines without buying new keys because they are still licensed for those machines.

If I were to uninstall Ad-Aware would the files that are quarentined be released after the uninstall.

Because of the known existance of many of the files, no full search was ever made. But Ad-Awar chose to do it for me anyway.

I think it very bad that in order to restore these files it is necessary for me to go to the various directories and locate the folder for the program. I never had to do that with Avast. Why can't it keep the info...

With over one hundred files this is a burden on the user. I just want it the way it was. No anti-virus included, It was my thought the is would be better to upgrade a version. But this actially has come to be a step backward for me. The program does what it is suppose to do and does it well but it is now leaving the user out of the picture in a bad way. More thought should be given as to how the program will work with the user.

As for SBAMSvc.exe It crashed with FireFox today (opening a page at NewEgg.com) as the previous user had stated and after shutting it down it was 8 minutes before gaining control of my computer and still takes 32 seconds for Samplitude to close all of the time. And After shutting it down, today , it took 15 minutes to restart my machine. For the OS waiting for it to close. So I guess shutting it down does not do the trick.

Edited by jjjjbbbb

Avast uninstall utility: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

One possible reason why you have issues with SBAMSvc could be left-overs of Avast, or maybe something left of an old Ad-Aware version.

If I were to uninstall Ad-Aware would the files that are quarentined be released after the uninstall.

No, since the normal user certainly doesn't want to have malicious files restored automatically when uninstalling Ad-Aware.

I think it very bad that in order to restore these files it is necessary for me to go to the various directories and locate the folder for the program.

I agree, I don't need to do that in my computer. I click on the Restore button and the file is restored automatically to its original location. That's why I asked you, if Ad-Aware could display the location when double-clicking on the file in the quarantine.

Hello CeciliaB, after hours of restore and add to ignore list, I have decided that I want Avast back and Ad-Aware (with antivirus ) gone. Files were found from the 90's, such as onlfow plugin for Netscape Communicator. A program from my Saphire video card manufacture was found, a plugin from Winamp ver 4 was found. There needs to be a warning, for those people that have a lot of files and try to save them, that states the .Zip and .rar file may not be recovered properly. Mine ended unusable, Rars were corupt and Zips would not open. With the zips a .txt file with the name of the exe file preceding it stating the "Malicious content removed" leaving no hope of recovering the file. It was just deleteed. Even a file created by visual Basic was flaged. Created whiile I was in school last year.

And yes you can double click on the listing and a window will open showing the location and a good point, that I only found with four left, if you click on the location it will open the location folder.

The program as it stands is probably great for the masses but has far too much control with out recovery for me. Bad files can be ran in a Sandbox and still serve the purpose that may be desired.

Another thing, after recovering a file. Then trying to add it to the ignore list, it would again be quarantined before you could add it to the list. This changed after taking the program out of game mode.

What is the latest version that does not have the antivirus included?

Thank You

James

Edited by jjjjbbbb

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip about clicking on the location to open the folder :) I didn't know that.

Yes, Lavasoft wants to do a program that is easy to handle by the masses.

In version 9.6, it is possible to turn off the antivirus engine, but I don't know if Lavasoft still supports it with new definitions, since it's so old, and the latest versions of Ad-Aware 10 can be installed alongside another antivirus program as an on-demand scanner.

Do you want to upload some of the files that Ad-Aware quarantined?

Then Lavasoft would be able to correct the definitions.

Hello again CeciliaB I can upload some of the files. I am running version 10 how do I turn it off?

This site does not state the lastest version number.

Edited by jjjjbbbb

Hi James,

In Ad-Aware 10 it isn't possible to turn off only the antivirus engine, since it is only one engine handling all types of malicious files. You can turn off the real-time protection to be sure that no files at all are quarantined or deleted.

Please, make a new folder, e.g. on the desktop, and copy as many as possible of the false positives to that folder. When done, right-click the folder and select Send to > Compressed folder.

Start a new topic here: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/forum/93-report-a-false-positive/

Read the pinned guide first and follow it if you can.

A couple of weeks ago I had Ad-aware (free version) loaded on my laptop. Ever since then my use of Firefox greatly lags between clicks and the fan on my laptop is cycling on and off multiple times with in a 2 minute time period. After calling the support line and researching this site, I have downloaded and ran Revo Uninstall (which did not solve my problems) and now have created the two OTL files. What do I do next to take Ad-Aware completely off my computer (including the annoying "spam" button bar)?

Just wanting to walk away,

Savy-non-expert

Hello Cecilia B, been trying to give the program a chance. It has requarentined files in the ignore list again. It also caused a recording error by updateing definitions. This is a no no for anything running on this computer. So there may be some improvements needed in the program. I did turn off the real time protection as you had suggested. So doing so did not stop the quarentine issue. I must uninstall it. I still just want it as it was, it worked great and the only time I knew it was there was when something was going on wrong at that time. It did that well. I do appreciate trying before you buy, but time time it is not panning out for this software package. Thanks again for all of the help.

James B

Hi James,

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean with a "recording error".

Let us hope that you'll be more happy with version 11 when it's finished.

You are welcome :)

Hello again, to explain recording error I must explain process, so please forgive the length of this response.

I an 68 years old. so it may be said that I am still back in the day. I have over 700 albums and am in the process of converting them to CDs. The process includes a high quality phono preamp and turntable and the outputs of the preamp is going to the line-in of a high quality sound card. The sound card has an A/D converter(analog to digital). The recording is done at 24/96 or 32/96. This is arguable by many, but time and trials have proven it to be worth it for preservation and clarity of sound. All of this is done in realtime(minute by minute). The files are very large and involve a great deal of processing power. When the update of definitions come, it takes a quick chunk of memmory and that disrupts the process and steals a part of the recording making two part of the music run together(not a skip or blank but as though it was never present). The only way to regain this loss is to re-do the recording. Other software has done updates of definitions before as many as four times in one day but not caused any problem. A notification would be given and things were as normal(no interuption of processes).

Sorry, the 24 and 32 are bit depth. This could equate to the higher mp of a digital camera. Beter resolution of the picture or using a magnifying glass for better detail, and it also prevents digital clipping, which would occur if there were to be a scratch or a piece of dirt on the vinyl record. The 96 is 96,000 which is divided by half the frequency that can be achieved for each channel. The very high frequencies cannot be heard by the human ear, but neither can you hear the wind(itself) but the engergy of it can do unthinkable things. The same goes for the higher frequnecies, they contain a lot of energy. Take them away from the recording process, and the diference can be heard.

I said it would be long, Thanks again, when will version 11 be released?

James B

Edited by jjjjbbbb

Hi,

I see, you can try to turn on Gaming mode (what you want seems to be pretty much the same as a gamer when playing, e.g. don't disturb my game) when you record your albums.

I don't know, the only thing I know is that Lavasoft is working on version 11 but it hasn't entered beta test phase yet and beta test phase is probably a couple of months.

I must agree with others on this topic. I have used Ad-Aware for years and it worked well. I recently downloaded Vesion10.2.21.3698. This has the virus protection included. I have used Avast for years and am happy with it. I don't need more virus stuff.

Since the install of Ad-Aware, my computer has slowed to a crawl most of the time. I now takes almost 5 full minutes to boot my machine so I can use it. I want to be able to turn this thing off and only run it when I want to, not when Lavesoft want to. I haven't been able to find a turn off if there is one. Is there any way to turn this thing off or do I have to un-install it???

Hi lynn1102,

Why download a version of Ad-Aware that is one year old and isn't meant to be run together with another antivirus program instead of the latest version, 10.5, that has a compatibility mode for installation alongside another antivirus program?

Please, uninstall your current version by following How to uninstall Ad-Aware 10.x. Turn off Avast before the uninstallation, too. After a restart of the computer, you can install the latest version in compatible mode (on-demand scanner mode).

You'll find the latest version here: http://www.lavasoft.com/free_download/trial/

Descriptions of on-demand scanner mode and compatible installation mode:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32963-ad-aware-104-released/

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33131-ad-aware-105-released/