Sign in to follow this  
carlsutherland

Can't activate Ad Aware

I am a complete novice with Windows and it's associated products so please bear with me. I was computer illiterate and then I have been an Apple person for the last few years. I wanted to run some interactive cds that only run on Windows computers. I got the latest Parallels software (8.018) and a copy of Windows 7. I also installed the latest Mac software 10.8.3. My computer really slowed down. I talked to the Parallels people and they had some suggestions about memory allocation. I talked to the Apple people and they suggested I add more RAM which I did the other day. I have an early 2009 iMac which came with 4 GB RAM and I put in 2-4 GB chips to give me 8 GB RAM. I had to shut down the computer to do that. When I opened the computer today and the Windows program, it didn't look like the ad aware program was working-it had been working just fine until now. I clicked around some and nothing happened. I couldn't find a way to delete the program and start over so I thought I would just download a new one and install it over the old one. I think I did that but the download seems to stall at the point where it says "removing back up files." I can't get it to move from there. I tried to download it again and it got stuck at the same place again. I really don't know what I am doing and would appreciate any help anybody could give me.

Thank you

Carl

Hi Carl,

Have you restarted the computer and Windows several times since you installed the new memory?

Is the computer working well when you haven't started Windows?

You could start with trying a system restore to a recent restore point when everything worked well:

Start menu - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

See http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html "Option One" for more details and pictures.

Is Ad-Aware listed in the Start menu, and if it is, what menu selections are available?

Is Ad-Aware listed in the list of installed programs in Control Panel?

CeciliaB,

Thank you so much for the reply. I was able to activate the Ad Aware anti virus program by the method you mentioned by going through the Control Panel uninstall and then re-downloading Ad Aware and activating it again. I appreciate the help. Now can you help me more? How can I get rid of that #@$#@%$#@%$%^& LavaSoft Browser that came along with the anti virus program. I do not want that browser! I want to use Internet Explorer! I can not find a way to inactivate the LavaSoft browser. I even deleted the Ad Aware program and the LaveSoft browser is still there! Why is Lava Soft so insistent on us using their browser?

Thank you,

Carl

You are welcome, Carl!

Do you mean toolbar or search engine when you write "browser"?

Lavasoft hasn't a browser, but a toolbar and a search engine will be installed, if you don't deselect it during installation.

CeciliaB

Thank you for your response. I am sorry if I do not know the correct technical terms. I am totally lost in dealing with anything related to Windows products. When I click on the IE button, insterd of IE coming up I get a white page with a window in the middle that I can type in labeled Lavasoft secure search and down below this window it says powered by blekko. I have been on the Windows forum and they have had me all over the computer looking for a place where this program is hiding. Ad Aware is gone, but somewhere this little [email protected]#$%^%$#@#E% still lurks. Can you tell me where it is so I can get rid of it. No one else seems to know where it might be and how to get rid of it. I was very happy with Ad Aware until I had to shut my computer down to install more memory because OS 10.8.3 plus Parallels and Windows 7 had it running too slow and then Ad Aware stalled and gave me a lot of problems. My son-in-law and daughter use Ad Aware and recommended it to me highly. I probably wouldn't be unhappy now except I don't like to be forced into anything and that is what I feel like. Ad Aware is forcing me into using their toolbar and search engine.

Thank you

Carl

You are welcome, Carl :)

It is still Internet Explorer but the the start page has been changed.

First of all check that you don't have any Ad-Aware program installed, e.g. Ad-Aware Browsing Protection. See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32938-how-to-uninstall-ad-aware-10x/

Then change start page by following http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33178-how-to-remove-blekko-start-page-and-search-engine/

If you are installing Ad-Aware again, please note that it's is possible to opt-out for Safe Browsing Add-on, if you don't want to have a more secure search than Google and Bing. See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33131-ad-aware-105-released/