Sign in to follow this  
humpbacks1962

Joke.IM.Sherar.A

Just when I was ready to buy the software, a threat called "Joke.IM.Sherar. A" pops up. No matter how many times I hit "delete", the full scan picks it up.

What can I do?

I am on Win 7 64bit, explorer browser, Ad Aware Pro 10.5

Hi humpbacks1962,

A file considered to be a "joke" isn't dangerous, but may be disturbing. See the descriptions displayed when you click the "i" icons on http://www.sunbeltsecurity.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Joke.IM.Sherar.A&tid=180148&cs=A06D4D4AE9EC2BDCC1597FE51096E401

Is the Joke file listed on the quarantine tab?

If yes, you can double-click it to get information about the file name and its location (folder). Please, write that in your answer and I'll try to find out more information about it.

It has turned up in the quarantine list. I deleted it and the scan finds it again.

It is more than an annoyance to see the red screen warning me about a threat that it can't get rid of.

After I deleted it a first time from the quarantine list, it was never added to it again. I do not feel comfortable seeing a perpetual red warning.

File name is in the title of the thread.

Location.. Who knows!

I keep hitting the delete button and the window turns green telling me all is well. Then when I redo the scan, the file pops up again with this horrible red window that keeps reminding me that there's a threat the software can't erase...

Is there nothing to do?

The title of this thread is the name of the "threat", not the name of the file. Please, look at the quarantine tab and double-click "Joke.IM.Sherar.A" (or somewhere on that line) and write down the path and file name displayed in the little window/box that pops up.

Or if you prefer that, attach the log file of Ad-Aware, even if I find that far more complicated:

C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\AntiMalware\History\<date information>.xml

Right-click the file and select Send to - Compressed folder. A new file with extension .zip will be created and it is this file you should upload.

To upload the file, click on the More Reply Options button followed by the Browse button, navigate to the log file's location, select the file then click the Attach the file button.