Sign in to follow this  
gszakacs

Long scans and duration time counter wrap

It takes a little over 3 days to do a full scan on my computer. I've notices that the duration time counter wraps back to zero after 24 hours, i.e. it doesn't count the days of duration time. When the scan completes, it will show something like 3 hours of duration when in fact it's been three days plus three hours. Then the status shows "At Risk" because it has been "too long" since the last system scan, even though a full scan just completed. If I tell Adaware to "Fix this now" it immediately starts a quick scan.

On another note, I see I'm not the only one annoyed by the pop-up message "Adaware will continue to protect..." when you minimize it to the system tray. I have noticed that on Windows 7 this is less annoying because the pop-up goes away after a few seconds, but on Windows XP it stays up until you click it. It would be nice to be able to turn this off, especially in conjunction with keeping the Adaware Icon visible in the system tray so I have some way of knowing that protection is active.

All in all, neither of these things will make me change to another malware protection provider, but it would be nice if they were addressed in future releases.

Regards,

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

Lavasoft is beta testing Ad-Aware 11 and there are many changes in that version compared to version 10.

During the first full scan Ad-Aware collects information about the files and future scans will be faster, since Ad-Aware uses the collected information to speed up a scan.

Do you have another antivirus program installed or have uninstalled one but you didn't run the special removal tool from the antivirus company?

That program (or it's left-overs) can interfere with the scan and increase the time.

I don't know if this is applicable in Windows XP, but please read http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/how-to-disable-the-tray-notification

Thanks for the reply.

I have had other antivirus programs over the years, but always removed them using the control panel uninstall. Actually I think that the three day scan time is already significantly down from the first full scan (I know, I probably should clean up some old data from my hard drives). I think a large portion of the scan is checking some rather large zip archives of downloaded applications, and I have added the largest of these to the Ignore list. A quick scan still takes only a few minutes to run.

I do have some other background programs running all the time including Carbonite (generally paused while I'm in front of the computer). It's possible that it can add to file access time.

As for notification, there is no tool icon in the Windows XP pop-up, and clicking anywhere in the pop-up closes it. It's just a bit annoying that it doesn't time out like in Windows 7. For now, I'll live with this. I unfortunately need to keep the old XP system running to support some very old application software.

Looking forward to the improvements of Adaware version 11.

Regards,

Gabor

You are welcome :)

I suggest you try to run the removal tools of the most recent antivirus program. The most common ones are listed on http://www.raymond.cc/blog/comprehensive-list-of-uninstallers-or-removal-tools-for-antivirus-software/ .

It's indeed very time consuming to unpack large zip files on an old computer.

Sorry to hear that it's impossible to configure notifications in XP.