Sign in to follow this  
CeciliaB

Suggestions & ideas - what features would you like to see in Ad-Aware 11 or 12?

Question

Ad-Aware 11.0 have now been released, but let Lavasoft know what improvements you want them to include in future versions.

If you have a idea for a new feature, something you'd like to see in the GUI or any other suggestions you have to make Ad-Aware 11 better, post them here.

Be as detailed as you like!

Please, try to only post suggestions and short answers in this topic. If you want help with an issue, please start your own topic.

Guest Ann_M

Hello Valacapt,

The functionality of popup/message appearing from firewall when any program (for which a rule was not created) tries to access internet is in our list of tasks. It will be implemented in one of the future versions.

Meanwhile, you can set "Allow" or "Deny" action to any program or zone, for which rule has not be created (see my previous answer).

Regards,

Anna

Hello Valacapt,

The functionality of popup/message appearing from firewall when any program (for which a rule was not created) tries to access internet is in our list of tasks. It will be implemented in one of the future versions.

Meanwhile, you can set "Allow" or "Deny" action to any program or zone, for which rule has not be created (see my previous answer).

Regards,

Anna

Hello svdiomedea,

No, this feature was not removed.

Open Network Protection tab, click on Advanced settings link and find Default Action menu. "Allow" option is set by default.

Regards,

Anna

The options for the default action are only "allow" or "deny" NOT "ask." I want the functionality that Ad-Aware 10 had to ask if I want to allow a program to access the internet when the program tries to do so. If this functionality still exists, please direct me to how to set that up.

Guest Ann_M

Hello svdiomedea,

"The options for the default action are only "allow" or "deny" NOT "ask." I want the functionality that Ad-Aware 10 had to ask if I want to allow a program to access the internet when the program tries to do so. If this functionality still exists, please direct me to how to set that up." - no, there is no such functionality yet. It will be implemented later.

Regards,

Anna

Hello Valacapt,

Regards,

Anna

Yes, but the only options are "allow" or "deny." I want to be asked whether a program should have internet access and click a button to set up a rule to that effect when the program tries to gain access. Zone Alarm does this by creating a popup window that indicates that that a porogram wants to access the interet and asking what action (allow or deny) I want to take. Ad-Aware 10 apparently also had this

Hello svdiomedea,

"The options for the default action are only "allow" or "deny" NOT "ask." I want the functionality that Ad-Aware 10 had to ask if I want to allow a program to access the internet when the program tries to do so. If this functionality still exists, please direct me to how to set that up." - no, there is no such functionality yet. It will be implemented later.

Regards,

Anna

Why later when it was already in Ad-Aware 10??!! Why was it taken out? And how much "later" are we talking about??

Guest Ann_M

Hello svdiomedea,

Thank you for the answer.

Ad-Aware 11 is completely different program which has another engine.

I cannot tell you now when this feature is implemented.

Thanks,

Anna

When I tried to install Ad-Aware 11 free, the only option that it gave me was to install in compatible mode. However, I did not have any other virus protection installed. I checked the list of programs on the Ad-Aware website that are incompatible and did not have any of them. I did used to have AVG and Avast so I wasn't sure if there were still some pieces of them lingering around or what was going on. Finally, I guessed that maybe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was it and uninstalled it and that did the trick. I'm not sure why since Malwarebytes is not an antivirus but a program that cleans up after a virus is already there.

My suggestion is to please, please tell the user what program was detected that is incompatible. It would have saved me trying to reinstall four times, two reboots, researching on the internet, and almost walking away from Ad-Aware altogether. Another suggestion is to add Malwarebytes to the list of incompatible programs if it truly is incompatible. Thank you.

Hi there

I am running Windows 7 Pro and was having problems with my computer lagging/freezing/not loading webpages etc and I came across your program Ad-ware 11.

I started installing it at 9.30am this morning....it is now 2.50pm and it still has not loaded????

My suggestion for any other upcoming developments would be make the program QUICKER to install (shrink it). And I am not happy with how much it overtakes my computer so if you can reduce that as well would be a bonus :D

Hi HappyNann,

That's not normal behaviour of Ad-Aware. It should install fast, if you haven't a very bad internet connection. Please, start a new topic for help and investigation.

I as many thousands of others including personal and business users, both free and potential customers, would like a stand-alone Ad-Aware. That is #1 priority. Below is more suggestions for you to take into serious consideration and implement, please.

Hello,

Please add support to your wonderful product of Lavasoft Ad-Aware support for protection against spyware within all web browsers including a new wonderful and evolving web browser called Maxthon, in which its site is located at http://www.maxthon.com - the browser is also making use of its own [virtual] Cloud, allowing users to never lose track of their information or websites they've visited so long as they have a Maxthon Passport.
I am a web developer myself as well as a "tech junkie" since 2000. I have been using Maxthon for years and this program is perfectly harmless and actually one of - if not THE BEST - web browser I have ever used. There are so many features and settings that you can adjust as well and it's perfect for developers and regular web surfers alike.
Please, also update Lavasoft Ad-Aware. If possible as well, maybe it can share databases with safer-networking.org and other databases that are constantly and freely updated in which you can find online with the simple search of Bing or Google. There are also sites in which list known bad sites including advertisement publishing companies and companies that advertise pop-ups that automatically play Flash, Java, and deliver Spyware as well as automatically download things.
I am trying to avoid using Google from now on as well in which is why I mentioned Bing as the first search engine above. Bing has really improved and doesn't collect information like Google does nor peak inside or advertise in every aspect of your life. Like Microsoft's Live.com is amazing as well as Outlook.com and SkyDrive.com where you can email with no ads and no privacy concerns as well as SkyDrive, where they offer what Google similarly offers but with privacy in mind and their web-based applications are a LOT more elite. They actually have Microsoft Word that you can use in your browser - you'll never have to buy another Microsoft software product again, really, unless it's Windows in which typically comes pre-installed with most PCs. Spread the word about Microsoft, Bing, Live, Outlook, SkyDrive, and its services, especially in terms of usefulness and better privacy protection whereas Google has failed and reads our emails.
I would also love for it to be an all in one, to detect Spyware, Malware, Adware, Trojans, Viruses, and so on. As stated above, there are sites with such databases that are constantly updated that you can use. Please look into it.
It would also be a nice feature for it to actually work inside the browser to avoid spyware from being exposed to any PC for that matter, securing people browsing the web while they're browsing the web or idle, especially from annoying advertisements and pop-up ads.
Please consider this and definitely change the name to Lavasoft Ad-Aware, without the version number - it can be in the program when you open it and when you check for updates and when you click on About - keep it up to date, and add support for Maxthon. I hope that all my suggestions can really be of use.
* Furthermore, please extend LavaSoft-AdAware 10.x series, the series that was standalone without anti-virus. We all need it, including the business and corporate world.

--- Signature ---

Essential Security Software for Windows: SpyBot Search & Destroy | Lavasoft Ad-Aware 9.x | Spyware Terminator 2012 | SpywareBlaster
Free, Most Effective Firewalls with AntiVirus: ZoneAlarm w/AntiVirus | LavaSoft Ad-Aware w/AntiVirus
We need to start using sites and databases that share blacklisted sites and programs for the security of ALL.

Hi Web be Safer,

Please, see the commonts in one of your other topics: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33761-whats-needed-in-11-no-anti-virus-option-maxthon-support-and-intelligencedatabase-sharing/ and most of your suggestions are already included in the product.

I want more information and control when ad-adware free antivirus detects a virus. I certainly don't want email databases corrupted by ad-aware doing what it thinks best. And the pop ups often go unnoticed. False positives can be as painful as a virus.

Thanks.

I would like to be able to change the email protection level - the current version gives 3 levels (aggressive, Normal and Permissive) in a drop down menu BUT there is not change when I try to change this level. The program appears to remain at the Aggressive level.

First impressions almost kill Ad-Aware eleven for me.

As a comparison, I have no problems with ten.

First I'm greeted with compatibility mode. Basically I can install your program, but it won't actually work, and anybody with a lesser amount of patience is going to flush the install right there versus hunt around for the AV program Ad-Aware doesn't like (and as others have mentioned ad-nausem, won't tell you before you install). How many less dedicated users did you kill right there? Especially if it was a more complicated process, such as hunting around for left over registery entries? My time is not worth your cludge, especially when v10 failed to have these issues.

Second, your program is rendered completely unusable until it's updated, featuring an awesome black banner that bars any use of your program after a fresh install. Are you serious? I don't get basic functionality until this is done? No. Apparently not. Because we didn't bother to include a usable base of definitions in the original install package would be my guess.

Third, modular fail. Because I had to install in compatibility mode, I also find out that a full installation didn't actually take place. I clicked on real time protection to find the incompatibility. Uninstalled MS Security Essentials as requested. Rebooted because Ad-Aware still recognized it as incompatible. Then find out you didn't bother to actually install what is probably one of the more important components of an AV, presumably because of compatibility mode. WOW.

And finally, guess what I'm doing as I'm writing this? Using your program? No. I'm back downloading definitions, because I had to cancel the download several times just to get to this point, while Ad-Aware itself has zero functionality until I dowload a 168mb file. And the scary thing is this is probably going to be the user experience of most of the people who download your program. I mean, who didn't get some form of AV when they bought their computer from HP, Dell, or whoever?

Gotta say, this has got to be the worst setup I've stumbled across in a long, long time. You're going out of your way to make it difficult to get started, on top of using spam vendor cnet as your distributor in the first place. I realize you gotta make your money. but you won't carry me or others to 12 if you keep stacking a horrible user experience like 11 does.

Edited by Ozzallos

Is anyone else having problems with Email Protection in updated AdAware 11? Mine seems to be permanently set at "Aggressive" and even rejects emails from Lavasoft!!

Could developers consider an email quarantine file to that users can see what emails are being rejected and restore those which are from known sources?

Two points.

1. How am I supposed to know which version of AdAware (free version) I have? - there's no obvious indicator that I can see on the splash screen.

2. AdAware has just deleted my Outlook .pst file. It was only AFTER this happened that I have seen suggestions that you exclude this file from the scan,
Therefore either make this risk clear on installation or get the .pst excluded by default or get it backed up to somewhere obvious where it can be recovered if neccessary.

If you want to know how and why this happened I can provide more info.

2. AdAware has just deleted my Outlook .pst file. It was only AFTER this happened that I have seen suggestions that you exclude this file from the scan,

Therefore either make this risk clear on installation or get the .pst excluded by default or get it backed up to somewhere obvious where it can be recovered if neccessary.

If you want to know how and why this happened I can provide more info.

It's usually not necessary to exclude the .pst file, since the recommendation is to quarantine files that all antivirus programs finds. A quarantined file can be restored.

It also depends on your backup solution. A person, that have backups of everything important (the general recommendation). can easy restore a quarantined, deleted or corrupt file from the backup, and it doesn't matter if the file was deleted by an antivirus program, destroyed by a bad hard disk or destroyed by a bug in a program.

I strongly support the recommendation that the GUI is enlarged preferably like M$ GUIs which are flexibly controllable. I use several laptops and the Ad-Aware GUI is far too small for me.

Also, clicking on an Ad-Aware discerned threat, in the GUI, has no effect. I want a click to produce a full description of the "threat", its path, definition etc. suitable for the clipboard where I can manipulate it to suit me - not you (sorry, don't mean to be rude to your business model). I run several machines and want more flexibility. My business model based on roaming freely across the net is to remain safe!

Thank you for the clear incompatibility warning on setting-up. I'm aware from past experience that my main anti-virus (ESET) blocked Ad-Aware 10 and you have, obviously, pretty much resolved that. It would be helpful if you setup identified the problem for sure though, as maybe I have the dregs of something I'm unaware of on my machine.

Also, I run various defences as I've suffered drive-by-shootings from hackers in the past and will never give up Malwarebytes, nor PeerBlocker and other precautionary measures. Please flex a bit more to meet users need to cover contingences with everything they can.

For info: The Zero Day virus got into my laptop last November, came in with a Google Update (not Google's fault, the update was legit, the baggage it brought wasn't) and caused me real problems but it would have been far worse without my in-depth protection and Ad-Aware didn't even see it - until afterwards.

Sorry for the length of this comment - I do highly value Ad-Aware but still prefer the 9.6 version. :D

Who the hell designs your GUI? And you gave it the thumbs up in your staff meeting!

Hmm.... why not make it so small that you need a slide bar on the righthand side to make things very annoying, and then have no maximise button to boot. Arrgghhh... my fists are punching my head. WFFS???

Worst version update I have seen in years.

• Option not available on FREE version

Just what we like. In that case, don't put it on then.

Why ask us if we want any new features? You wouldn't include them on a free version in any case!

Quick Scan takes 30 minutes to perform! Dear God.

Custom Scan Settings - what's happened to all the options found on v10?

Then you tell me to uninstall other incompatible programs... I don't think so guys.

Most of us use several programs by other companies and we ain't gonna be ditching our MBAM, Avast, SAS, Spybot S+D, Exterminate it, just to run your sole product.

I'd like to add some more usefull links in case you do not trust Lavasoft ;)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186533/is-it-bad-to-run-multiple-antivirus-programs/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/ja-JP/d6945abc-3b6c-4053-8991-37a473e8ad33/windows-vista-not-recognizing-my-antivirus-program?forum=itprovistasecurity

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-229917/can-i-have-multiple-antivirus-software-on-my-computer/

you can find many more threads on differrent forums if you do a search on running multiple antivirus.

Hope this helps :)

Andrew M

Edited by kamazzz

Not a super big fan of the gui, no more control with settings either. I know it's business logic, but the buy, buy, buy interface is not going to make the interface pretty for the many free users.

•Signature/definition update when system wakes from sleep or resumes from hibernate.

•The availability of a Security Add-on xpi to manually install in Mozilla variants (i.e Palemoon, Portable Firefox).

•A re-write of your Web and manual which clarifies the distinctions between the feature set & protections of the all-versions Security Add-on "Web Protection" and the Personal/Pro "Web Protection" and particular the latter when the former is not installed or is uninsatalled.

I have used ad aware free AV. I wish to know the version even it is free and I wish they are also available in mobile too.

I have used ad aware free AV. I wish to know the version even it is free and I wish they are also available in mobile too.

Hi awoodhcl,

Ad-Aware 11 is available in a free version, see Lavasoft's web site: http://www.lavasoft.com/free_download/trial/

There is no mobile version.

Hi... first time user, perhaps soon to be last time user...

#1: Sorting: How about changing the way you sort forums? It seems that the default is ascending, that is the oldest is first, and you have to chose the last page box to find out what is current.

Yes, I found sort in clicking the word SUGGESTIONS and found a sort there, but when I returned to the forum, it had not changed. To me it's more logical to read the latest first.

How about a sort choice at the top of each forum? It's not that different when you shop, and you can tell the answer page to sort by price, relevance, etc, sort, you don't have to return to a home page, etc.

#2: NON_ANSWERS: Since I was reading from oldest first, I noticed multiple questions on the same item bothering me. Despite multiple users asking the same thing, there was NO RESPONSE from an administrator. That does not give me confidence in using your product or that you listen at all. So, I will repeat it here again:

#3: I installed your product yesterday, for the first time, and got the message that there was another product running so this would be in compatibility mode.

This morning at bootup, I noticed there was no AdAware icon in my notification box, and therefore wasn't sure if it was even loaded and working. It took me over a half hour + this morning to google it and ultimately find that MSE is considered to be non-compatible. I'm a pretty good savy unser, a low level geek, and thought that MSE is a basic coverage on my computer and that I should add a more thorough package like yours which provides broader coverage.

So I repeat the original (and multiple) question: If Ad-Aware is smart enough to notice there is another product it considers to be non-compatible, WHY DOESN'T IT TELL US WHAT IT IS???

Thanks for letting me waste my time this morning when your program could easily have a popup to let me know what I must remove.

If this once again goes unanswered, I might move on to AVG or Avast.