Sign in to follow this  
CeciliaB

Suggestions & ideas - what features would you like to see in Ad-Aware 11 or 12?

Question

Ad-Aware 11.0 have now been released, but let Lavasoft know what improvements you want them to include in future versions.

If you have a idea for a new feature, something you'd like to see in the GUI or any other suggestions you have to make Ad-Aware 11 better, post them here.

Be as detailed as you like!

Please, try to only post suggestions and short answers in this topic. If you want help with an issue, please start your own topic.

Hi... first time user, perhaps soon to be last time user...

#1: Sorting: How about changing the way you sort forums? It seems that the default is ascending, that is the oldest is first, and you have to chose the last page box to find out what is current.

Yes, I found sort in clicking the word SUGGESTIONS and found a sort there, but when I returned to the forum, it had not changed. To me it's more logical to read the latest first.

How about a sort choice at the top of each forum? It's not that different when you shop, and you can tell the answer page to sort by price, relevance, etc, sort, you don't have to return to a home page, etc.

#2: NON_ANSWERS: Since I was reading from oldest first, I noticed multiple questions on the same item bothering me. Despite multiple users asking the same thing, there was NO RESPONSE from an administrator. That does not give me confidence in using your product or that you listen at all. So, I will repeat it here again:

#3: I installed your product yesterday, for the first time, and got the message that there was another product running so this would be in compatibility mode.

This morning at bootup, I noticed there was no AdAware icon in my notification box, and therefore wasn't sure if it was even loaded and working. It took me over a half hour + this morning to google it and ultimately find that MSE is considered to be non-compatible. I'm a pretty good savy unser, a low level geek, and thought that MSE is a basic coverage on my computer and that I should add a more thorough package like yours which provides broader coverage.

So I repeat the original (and multiple) question: If Ad-Aware is smart enough to notice there is another product it considers to be non-compatible, WHY DOESN'T IT TELL US WHAT IT IS???

Thanks for letting me waste my time this morning when your program could easily have a popup to let me know what I must remove.

If this once again goes unanswered, I might move on to AVG or Avast.

Hi ladyseakayaker,

#1: I'm not sure that I understand you. Inside a forum, e.g. http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/forum/190-ad-aware-11/ the topics are sorted with the newest first (Recently Updated) as default, but you can select another sorting by clicking on this blue menu.

Skärmklipp.PNG

#2: This is a suggestion topic, Lavasoft collects the suggestions and add them to their internal list of wanted features, together with suggestions they get by emails and in other ways. If many persons want a feature, it might be included in a new version of Ad-Aware. When a suggestion is posted, it's impossible to know if it'll be implemented or not. Do you only want that someone at Lavasoft posts that they have read it?

Wouldn't that be boring. if every second post just said that the previous post has been read?

#3. I suggest that you read the FAQ and manual about compatible mode and related information.

http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/compatibility-issues

http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/incompatible-softwares

http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/how-to-install-0

http://userguide.lavasoft.com/ad-aware11/Public/Default.aspx

It's a feature that many persons wanted when Ad-Aware 10.0 was released, and it was added in a later version (maybe 10.5).

Maybe an up-coming version of Ad-Aware will specify the installed antivirus program. At the moment, I think it's specified when you try to turn on e.g. real-time protection in the Ad-Aware program after an installation in compatible mode.

• Like 1

Version 11 is incredibly ugly. whoever okay'ed that design should be kicked back to 1983 he/she have nothing to do here in 2013. you should imidiatly release a version with the same loks as version 10.5

Version 11 is incredibly ugly. whoever okay'ed that design should be kicked back to 1983 he/she have nothing to do here in 2013. you should imidiatly release a version with the same loks as version 10.5

When version 10 was released, some persons wrote that it was ugly and they liked the look of version 9. Other users like the look of version 11.

Well it just seems like the gui is increasingly having (only available in paid versions), greyed out parts, which are extremely clutterly and unuseful to the free users. Version 9 seemed fine, gui looked fine. Version 10 there were sliders that were grey and unuseful and it made it look ugly so people wanted version 9. Now version 12 has even more of the non-existant features for free version and that made it even more ugly. I know this is a marketing tactic, but I don't really see other AVs have this problem. At most they have a small popup or ad on the side to promote their product.

I haven't read this entire thread, I simply did a quick text search of each page for keywords "schedule" and "cloud" and found no relevant hits, so I apologize if these have already been suggested.

First, I would really like to have the ability to set up multiple scheduled scans within the GUI itself, rather than being able to only set up a schedule for one scan type. I personally like to run a Quick scan 3x per week, and a Custom scan 1x per week, but the current system only allows us to schedule a single scan type. To schedule the second one, I have to set up a scheduled task manually through Windows to use the CLS. Every other AV I've tried/used allows scheduling of multiple scan types.

Secondly, I'd like to see the addition of cloud and community driven scanning systems like in 360 Internet Security or productls like Panda and herdProtect.

Thanks,

Drake

For a cursor hover on the tray icon, a readout of the current defintions version number from update.txt - i.e. 7.56303.

That would be nice, too, in the Protection Summary screen.

For Pro and Total, because they're pro and total, the option to select permissive, normal or aggressive levels
for the Advanced Protection HIPS and the behavior-based heuristics in Real-Time protection.

An "allow for session" in the firewall alert when Prompt is set as the default alert. I don't want a persistent rule for the once-in-a-while times I check for CCleaner or Networx or, well you get the idea. Right now I'm drilling into the UI to delete rules as there's no reason for many apps to connect out for anything but upgrade checks and if they do for some other reason, I want the alert.

Cheers.

Edited by dallas7

When version 10 was released, some persons wrote that it was ugly and they liked the look of version 9. Other users like the look of version 11.

I'm sure everyone will LOVE version 12. ;)

Edited by dallas7

I hope the next edition keeps the same color scheme for the main panel (blue, green, burnt orange). Great colors and design.

Maybe the Scan should have a Pause option? I don't remember if the Full Scan does, but the Quick Scan doesn't.

How about fixing your faulty activation process first before adding more stuff.

Hi Robbie,

The activation process works for almost all persons.

+1 to add a "prompt on action" on virus detection with the possibility of add it directly in whitelist!!

It's the only reason why I have not bought the pro version :(

•Your paid products should offer a process for a user to manually update definitions from a downloaded Bitdefender packaged file.

•Your Protection Status screen should indicate the update version from the update.txt file and appear also in the tray tooltip balloon. Even the most casual users understand versions and can recognize and appreciate the number ticking up. While the number of definitions is nifty, all that seems to do is have users post up in your forum wondering why the number decreases occasionally. (Yes, I know why.)

•The static tray icon needs a re-write to reflect protection status - you know, a ! or color change or something. (Yes, I know it goes gray if the service borks.)

Cheers.

Edited by dallas7

Please modify so that when using the AdAwareCommandLine it follows a /WAIT parameter in a START command.

Similar to the following batch extract:

SET AdAwareVer=11.4.6792.0

SET ACL="C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareCommandLine.exe

START "" /WAIT %ACL% --updatedefs <-- only proceed after update completes

START "" /WAIT %ACL% --custom C:\ <-- only proceed after scan completes

START "" "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareDesktop.exe"

< this opens the GUI so one can read the scan report >

This is because it is usually necessary to wait for completion BEFORE proceeding to the next command.

In the GUI's scan report list move the "Delete All" button to the far left so it is less likely to be used in error.

Also consider making the "All" and "Selected" button legend in a red and bold font.

Another option would be to remove the "Delete All" button and provide a "Right Click" context menu on all report names to "Select All".

Please modify so that when using the AdAwareCommandLine it follows a /WAIT parameter in a START command.

Similar to the following batch extract:

SET AdAwareVer=11.4.6792.0

SET ACL="C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareCommandLine.exe

START "" /WAIT %ACL% --updatedefs <-- only proceed after update completes

START "" /WAIT %ACL% --custom C:\ <-- only proceed after scan completes

START "" "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareDesktop.exe"

< this opens the GUI so one can read the scan report >

This is because it is usually necessary to wait for completion BEFORE proceeding to the next command.

Hi ebloch,

The program that is started by START /WAIT isn't aware of that. The WAIT parameter is handled by the START command and not transferred to the started program.

Hello,

Please add a "restore and whitelist" or "restore and exclude" one-click button in the quarantined file list view.

Ad-Aware tends to do more false positive than other comparable products in my experience, and this function is sorely missed. I can't think of any other a/v product that doesn't have it.

Having to hand-type the full file path in the exclusion list, then restore it from the quarantine is way too cumbersome.

Related suggestions :

- make the file path (at least name) immediately visible in the detection history, having to click on one entry to get any usable information isn't practical

- group detection history and quarantine list in a separate, easily accessible page. As of now they're way too hidden in a non-obvious place

- make quarantine the default action (right now it's delete), again every other product I've tried does it this way and it seems to me like the most conservative approach

Another one : add an "about product" button. As of now I can't find any way to show the product's exact version.

Hello All,

scyntax - this is in out task list and should be implemented in one of the future realeases.

MementoMori - You can stay using Ad-Aware 10.5, if you like it more. Unfortunately, it is impossible to create anything to be liked by everyone. You call it ugly, others like it.

ST2005 - you could not get detecting an incompatible software during update. I think you just saw the window telling that you have the previous Ad-Aware version installed and that it should be uninstalled before installing Ad-Aware 11. Can you please check it and send us screenshot?

"Why can't you just tell us what "incompatible software" has been detected ?" - if an incompatible program was detected you have only an option to install program in incomatible mode and you have only one button called "Compatible Install", otherwise you have 2 options to install software "Express Install" and "Compatible Install".

Thanks,

Ann

Hi Ann,

In your reply above to MementoMori you say:

"You can stay using Ad-Aware 10.5, if you like it more. Unfortunately, it is impossible to create anything to be liked by everyone. You call it ugly, others like it."

This is no longer true.

I have been using AdAware Pro version 10.5.3.4405 until just a week after Friday January 16th, 2015 at 19:28:53 o'clock when I recevied my last threat definition version 36710 update.

After that I noticed that I no longer got any more automatic updates.

I contacted LavaSoft Support asking about this and just got the reply to uninstall my version and install version 11 instead.

This although I initially said that I wanted to continue to use version 10.5 since I strongly dislike the GUI in version 11 and the GUI in version 10.5 looks much more clean and professional than in version 11.

I was recommended to download a 3rd party software called Revo Uninstaller (not a Lavasoft product) and use the Force Uninstall feature to delete all traces of Ad-Aware from my computer

left by previous installations in order to proceed to new “clean” installation of the program (version 11).

Is it just me thinking that it is rather unprofessional of Lavasoft Support to recommend me to download a 3rd party software and use it during the free trial period in order to remove previous AdAware version,

instead of that Adaware during installation itself remove older versions first before installing a later version?

It wouldn't hurt either to have a feature during installation to have a repair option of already installed version in case something might be wrong with it (corrupt or missing files for example).

However, I didn't got an explanation why the automatic updates suddenly stopped until I directly asked Lavasoft Support if they still supported version 10.5 with updates.

I then finally got a straight answer: "We advise you to install Ad-Aware 11.5 as it is the latest version and there are no updates for Ad-Aware 10."

Is it just me thinking that wouldn't it be clever of Lavasoft to mail their registered and paying customers about this beforehand stopping automatic updates?

I do get a lot of other mails from Lavasoft about News and stuff but nothing saying that they will stop support version 10.5 with updates.

Finally I must say that I fully agree with MementoMori's comment about how the version 11 GUI looks like compared to version 10.5. Version 11 is NOT looking more professional than 10.5 period!

10.5 had a very nice and real quality look to it that version 11 cannot even get close to and I stongly doubt that users that have seen version 10.5 GUI thinks that version 11 looks better.

I bet the developers at Lavasoft likes it, but it is we paying customers that are going to use it!

In a future version update of AdAware, please reconsider removing scroll bars in teh GUI and use a larger windows instead.

Use colours (like in version 10.5), since we users do have colour displays that manage to show a lot of colours on the screen at the same time.

Another drawback in AdAware Pro Security version 11 (that I now am "forced" to use since I have extended my license at the end of last year 2014),

is that it takes a longer time to load than version 10.5 did for some strange reason, please fix that in an updated version.

Hi Ann,

In your reply above to MementoMori you say:

"You can stay using Ad-Aware 10.5, if you like it more. Unfortunately, it is impossible to create anything to be liked by everyone. You call it ugly, others like it."

This is no longer true.

I have been using AdAware Pro version 10.5.3.4405 until just a week after Friday January 16th, 2015 at 19:28:53 o'clock when I recevied my last threat definition version 36710 update.

After that I noticed that I no longer got any more automatic updates.

I contacted LavaSoft Support asking about this and just got the reply to uninstall my version and install version 11 instead.

This although I initially said that I wanted to continue to use version 10.5 since I strongly dislike the GUI in version 11 and the GUI in version 10.5 looks much more clean and professional than in version 11.

I was recommended to download a 3rd party software called Revo Uninstaller (not a Lavasoft product) and use the Force Uninstall feature to delete all traces of Ad-Aware from my computer

left by previous installations in order to proceed to new “clean” installation of the program (version 11).

Is it just me thinking that it is rather unprofessional of Lavasoft Support to recommend me to download a 3rd party software and use it during the free trial period in order to remove previous AdAware version,

instead of that Adaware during installation itself remove older versions first before installing a later version?

It wouldn't hurt either to have a feature during installation to have a repair option of already installed version in case something might be wrong with it (corrupt or missing files for example).

However, I didn't got an explanation why the automatic updates suddenly stopped until I directly asked Lavasoft Support if they still supported version 10.5 with updates.

I then finally got a straight answer: "We advise you to install Ad-Aware 11.5 as it is the latest version and there are no updates for Ad-Aware 10."

Is it just me thinking that wouldn't it be clever of Lavasoft to mail their registered and paying customers about this beforehand stopping automatic updates?

I do get a lot of other mails from Lavasoft about News and stuff but nothing saying that they will stop support version 10.5 with updates.

Finally I must say that I fully agree with MementoMori's comment about how the version 11 GUI looks like compared to version 10.5. Version 11 is NOT looking more professional than 10.5 period!

10.5 had a very nice and real quality look to it that version 11 cannot even get close to and I stongly doubt that users that have seen version 10.5 GUI thinks that version 11 looks better.

I bet the developers at Lavasoft likes it, but it is we paying customers that are going to use it!

In a future version update of AdAware, please reconsider removing scroll bars in teh GUI and use a larger windows instead.

Use colours (like in version 10.5), since we users do have colour displays that manage to show a lot of colours on the screen at the same time.

Another drawback in AdAware Pro Security version 11 (that I now am "forced" to use since I have extended my license at the end of last year 2014),

is that it takes a longer time to load than version 10.5 did for some strange reason, please fix that in an updated version.

Hi Kenneth,

Since this is a suggestion topic and not for asking genereal questions, I'll keep my reply short.

When installing Ad-Aware 11, it usually uninstalls Ad-Aware 10 first. In some computers, not everything of Ad-Aware 10 is removed. The support team sees those cases but not the successful uninstallations, and maybe gets used to suggest other uninstallation possibilites and suggests it even when not necessary. My thoughts anyway.

Lavasoft received a lot of complains saying that the window of version 10 was too big, sometimes people have really small screens.

Hi Kenneth,

Since this is a suggestion topic and not for asking genereal questions, I'll keep my reply short.

When installing Ad-Aware 11, it usually uninstalls Ad-Aware 10 first. In some computers, not everything of Ad-Aware 10 is removed. The support team sees those cases but not the successful uninstallations, and maybe gets used to suggest other uninstallation possibilites and suggests it even when not necessary. My thoughts anyway.

Lavasoft received a lot of complains saying that the window of version 10 was too big, sometimes people have really small screens.

Hi CecilaB,

Well, I don't care anylonger how Lavasoft wants to handle things towards their customers apparently having small screens and no colour displays or whatever excuse Lavasoft may have to re-write an already good working software

into version 11 (which is a disaster according to me).

I as a paying customer since 2007 using earlier versions of Ad-Aware Pro before version 11 being very happy with those versions, have now uninstalled the software version 11 altogether on my PC and also uninstalled version 10.5

on my parents PC's aswell since they no longer get updates for version 10.5 either.

If I on last Christmas Eve would have known that Lavasoft would no longer support updates to version 10.5 in mid-January, I wouldn't have paid and extended the licenses for 3 PC's for another year, but unfortunately for me I did.

However, since I refuse to install version 11 on their PC's since I myself is not happy with it I have now instead bought licences for our 3 PC's from Kaspersky instead.

So Lavasoft have now effectively lost 3 paying customers due to Lavasoft Ad-Aware version 11!

Hi CecilaB,

Well, I don't care anylonger how Lavasoft wants to handle things towards their customers apparently having small screens and no colour displays or whatever excuse Lavasoft may have to re-write an already good working software

into version 11 (which is a disaster according to me).

I as a paying customer since 2007 using earlier versions of Ad-Aware Pro before version 11 being very happy with those versions, have now uninstalled the software version 11 altogether on my PC and also uninstalled version 10.5

on my parents PC's aswell since they no longer get updates for version 10.5 either.

If I on last Christmas Eve would have known that Lavasoft would no longer support updates to version 10.5 in mid-January, I wouldn't have paid and extended the licenses for 3 PC's for another year, but unfortunately for me I did.

However, since I refuse to install version 11 on their PC's since I myself is not happy with it I have now instead bought licences for our 3 PC's from Kaspersky instead.

So Lavasoft have now effectively lost 3 paying customers due to Lavasoft Ad-Aware version 11!

I suggest that you contact Lavasoft support team and ask for a refund since you don't like the product.

Perhaps this is more of a feature request more than anything else, but I believe Ad-Aware is the only anti-malware program that requires you to manually download and re-install it every time a minor update to the program is released.

Could this possibly be automated in the future?

Please stop deleting files without prompting the user. Every time this happens I end up unsinstalling Ad Aware out of frustration, and is the MAIN reason why I would never upgrade to the paid version. It's frustrating when it is a file you use frequently, it's disasterous when it is your outlook .pst files.

Edited by spinalgore

Please stop deleting files without prompting the user. Every time this happens I end up unsinstalling Ad Aware out of frustration, and is the MAIN reason why I would never upgrade to the paid version. It's frustrating when it is a file you use frequently, it's disasterous when it is your outlook .pst files.

Hi spinalgore,

Please, add your .pst file to the Exclusion list in Ad-Aware.

When one of your good files is quarantined by Ad-Aware, please follow the guide http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033to give Lavasoft all the information they need to be able to change the definitions.

What I would like to see is a product that works properly and not deleteing a file that I have told your piece of crap program 3 times in less thatn an hour to ignore it....I understand that an antivirus program can produce false positives for whatever reason - but for crying out loud - when it is told to exclude the file and it IMMEDIATELY goes and deletes it after you added it to exclude list??? Seriously - make it work....

Don't bother asking questions - I deleted adaware and I won't EVER reinstall it or return here....

Goodbye.