Sign in to follow this  
John M65

VERSION 11.0.4530.0 ACTION CENTER ALWAYS ASKS TO TURN ON.

Question

THIS IS BECOMING RATHER ANOYING i HAVE NOT HAD A REPLY SINCE 10/13. I CALLED SUPPORT YESTERDAY AND IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 20HRS AND NO RTURN CALL. I HAVE ATTACHED LOGS AND A SCREEN PRINT OF PROTECTION SUMMARY SCREEN. YOU CAN CLICK ALL YOU WANT ON THE ON/OFF BUTTONS AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

system-info.zipsystem-info.zippost-72264-0-22642500-1382035994_thumb.jpgMSI4d0c8.ziplogs.zip

I reported an issue to support…the ‘action center’ always requests that I start AdAware. This is their reply:

Note: support always asks you to reinstall???

Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Request ID :##190653##] : Undeliverable: Support - Ad-Aware11 Personal/Pro/Total Security - John

Dear John,
Thank you for your email.
Please be advice to reinstall Ad-Aware program on your PC.
In order to uninstall please do the following:

The link below will bring you to the website for a software called Revo Uninstaller. This is not a Lavasoft product, however they offer a 30 day free trial, so there will be no additional charges. This software specializes in removing troublesome products and will help wipe your computer of any product that cannot be uninstalled in a conventional sense.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Please open the software once downloaded and use the Force Uninstall feature to delete all traces of Ad-Aware from your computer.

Once the program is uninstalled kindly use the link below in order to install new version of Ad-Aware:

http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Antivirus/3001-8022_4-10045910.html

After the installation kindly activate the program again.

Please be advised to copy and paste the license key in order to avoid errors. For example, "1" which is a number, is not "I" which is the letter "i" in upper case, or the "0" is the number zero and not the letter "O".

Should you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-888-448-6881 or reply to this email.

My response:

Hi Vic, I followed your instructions and ran Revo Uninstaller with the ‘Force Uninstall’ option. In addition, I used Registry Crawler and removed all registry keys which used ‘adaware and Lavasoft, I also removed the directories which were left from the Revo Uninstaller.

I inserted the key which I used from previous versions and was accepted.

The action center requested me to start AdAware which I did. If you look at the attachment the only protection that is active is ‘Real-Time’. I can turn on ‘gaming mode’ but I don’t use that feature. I cannot start the other ‘protections’.

John

An update later that day:

This is iteration #2 I tried a reinstall using my Revo Uninstaller and I have received the same results. I think I have removed every instance of of AdAware before each install attempt. The Beta version ran fine… as well as a beta version should run. I am becoming very concerned about being exposed without the protection afforded with AdAware. I may need to turn on Defender until this issue is resolved or go back to version 10.

The time difference makes this process some cumbersome!

I have also down loaded new copies of the installer each time

John

An additional note this problem started after I downloaded the production version for CNET.

Hi John,

Thank you very much for all logs. I'll inform my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow.

Probably the support team gets a lot of questions about version 11 this week.

Hi again,

A new version of Ad-Aware with several bug fixes will be released today. Ad-Aware will display a message on its main screen when it's available, see chapter How To, section Update Ad-Aware in the manual. Please, click the Update Now button and let the installation proceed. When finished, reboot the computer and test Ad-Aware.

If you still have the same issue, please uninstall Ad-Aware in Control Panel and reboot the computer. Download the latest version of Ad-Aware from Cnet, install it and reboot the computer before testing Ad-Aware again. If you still have the same issue, please collect and attach the new logs.

Cecilia... 'your breaking my heart'. I had to do that! :D

Nothing has changed...

OK, I clicked the update button downloaded the new version 4555. After the down load I applied the change. Just for the heck of it i checked to see if anything changed. Nothing happened with the exception the new version was noted.

I shutdown and rebooted and after a few minutes the 'Action Center'; requested I start AdAware which I did. I checked the 'Protection Summary' and noted that three of the 'protection buttons' would not start, in fact they were greyed out.

Next I used Revo Installer Pro with the 'forced uninstall' command to uninstall AdAware 11. The response to my first support ticket advised me to use this product. I already use the free version. I looked for registry keys that contained 'adaware' or 'lavasoft' it found about 12 keys which I deleted.

I then booted the system into safe mode with networking.and removed all directories named 'AdAware' or 'Lavasoft' in program files and program data. Also, I removed entries in App Data including the temp entries. With this done I rebooted the laptop. I down loaded the version 4555 again and installed. After the install and subsequent down load of the definition files I checked to see if anything had changed. Nothing had changed I could not start the protections which add additional layers of security. I booted the laptop to see if that made a difference... it did not. The only thing that happened was the definition files were updated this had not happened before. I did insert the product key when requested and it was accepted.. I don't remember the free AdAware but the switches on the protection summary screen are greyed out and i am not sure if the software thinks I am using the free version.

I have attached the log files you have requested. Also, your response to a later user you indicated your contact is off for the weekend...Gee how nice a new version rolls out and everybody goes home! I know not all but there needs to be a way to get support for the paying customers. I still have not received a response from support both e-mail and telephone.

post-72264-0-29719700-1382128337_thumb.jpg

Sys-info.zip

MSI89713.zip

Thank you :)

Unfortunately my contact person wanted you to use the normal uninstallation in Control Panel and not Revo Uninstaller nor delete registry keys nor folders manually.

My contact person doesn't work in the support team, that probably works during the weekend. Do you think that the new version should have been released on Monday instead? I'm not sure that those persons affected by the bugs that now have been fixed agree. ;)

There are always issues discovered when a new version is released and installed in many more computers than during beta tests, e.g. Microsoft's forums and other forums with Windows knowledge are overwhelmed with issues due to Windows 8.1 being released two days ago.

Hi, CeciliaB

I'm glad this topic is already mentioned.

I've had this happen even with the latest update v11.0.4555.0 and Windows 8.1

I did notice, it ONLY happens when doing a total Reboot, or first turning the computer ON.

I tried simply Signing Out of my login account, then back in, and the AdAware protection stayed on, as far as Windows 8.1 was concerned.

When it happens, during a Reboot or Cold-Start, the AdAware task-bar icon (right-mouse-button click) shows the Real-Time Protection as still being ON, indicated by the GREEN check-mark for that option.

If I simply re-click that option OFF then back ON, the Windows 8.1 notification it's off goes away.

I'm sure this can be fixed by your colleagues at LavaSoft, eventually.

I just wanted to give this little bit of extra info about it not happening when simply Signing-Out, of Windows 8.1 (not rebooting, or cold-starting).

The Windows 8.1 Notification Center Complaining it's OFF...

post-89679-0-20144700-1382146257_thumb.jpg

-----

The AdAware Task-Bar icon saying it's not OFF, as shown by the BLUE upper-right "concern" indicator in the AdAware window, but it IS off...

post-89679-0-40624200-1382146267_thumb.jpg

-----

Using the Option, within the icon to shut it, as far as AdAware sees,

You'll now notice the RED "concern" indicator on the AdAware upper-right of window...

post-89679-0-52545200-1382146279_thumb.jpg

-----

Now all is O.K. Again, as far as Windows 8.1 after setting the Real-Time Protection back ON within the icon

post-89679-0-67581600-1382146292_thumb.jpg

-----

I'm also using my iPad2 to Remotely control the Windown 8.1 computer. It's really wild..!

post-89679-0-04631600-1382147016_thumb.jpg

post-89679-0-09413600-1382147040_thumb.jpg

post-89679-0-32425800-1382147063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robsav

Hi Robsav,

Thank you for the information, I'm sure it's valuable for Lavasoft.

Beautiful photos you have as backgrounds :)

Hi Robsav,

Thank you for the information, I'm sure it's valuable for Lavasoft.

Beautiful photos you have as backgrounds :)

You're welcome. :) I hope it helps them solve it.

my backgrounds were obtained thru the Windows 8.1 screen settings, additional backgrounds download.

They're part of the "Brook Burling" collection, offered by MicroSoft

Thanks for mentioning it... I was also impressed by them.

I had them since my original install of Win8 Pro.

I'm sure there's more offered now, with 8.1 released, but these are good enough for me. :D

By-the-way, there must have been a real virus on my iPad2 with iOS 5.1, because this newer version of AdAware v11 found some TrojanVirus' on my files I had from one of my iPad2 Apps, when downloaded thru it.

Not that other Low-Level one we discussed months ago, but this one was a High-Level Trojan Virus.

If your support team wants to have a look at it, to see if it's a false positive, or real...

I saved the file to the quarantine area, as well as saved a copy of the original .EXE install file. (185MB)

(It's a paid App, of a Data Recovery Program for Windows, called "Active File Recovery Enterprise Edition")

It had a "Trojan.Generic.KDZ.2748"

That same file, when downloaded now, under iOS 7.0.2 shows as good, so it wasn't the App adding the virus, but rather, the older iOS 5.1 may have gotten the virus on it somehow and it was being added to some files downloaded thru that iPad App.

I did a fresh install of the newer iOS 7, then used a special program to put back my documents and stuff from the Apps iTunes backup file I had on my computer, when I was using the older iOS 5.1

(iExplorer)

Found here.... http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

It reads the iTunes Backup files, and also reads and writes to the iDevice, even if the iDevice isn't Jailbroken.

Maybe this is an idea of how someone can use AdAware to scan their iDevice files, using this iExplorer program to read the iDevice, and export to another hard drive, or maybe LavaSoft can use the method the iExplorer program uses, to actually READ the iDevice files, and scan them for a virus.

Anyway, :) that's what I've been up to, after updating my iPad2 to iOS 7 and couldn't use the original iOS 5.1 backup file to restore all my documents to it. (iTunes said it was either corrupted, or incompatible)

iExplorer helped.

Then this newest AdAware v11 found additional virus' mentions that even the older one (v10.x) didn't see, even on past files I had on windows programs stored on other drives.

So, ... I'm not going to uninstall this v11 -- I'm sure they'll solve the problem with it shutting off Real-Time protection when rebooting the computer.

Bye, for now. And good-night. ;)

Good morning Robsav,

Please, start a topic in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/forum/93-report-a-false-positive/ and upload a zipped folder with the quarantined file and the install file to let Lavasoft investigate them.

Thanks for the information about iExplorer :)

Hi again :) and good morning to you too.
Please tell me the path on Windows 8.1 where AdAware puts the Quarantine files, then I'll zip both (that & original EXE) into a folder to upload in the "Report False Positives" section.
will the quarantined file have the same name, or is it changed when put there by AdAware?
Also, yes, you're welcome, ...for the iExplorer link... ;)
... I never knew anything like that was even possible on a NON-Jailbroken iDevice. :D

Hi.

Same problem with total security version 11.0.4555.0. Plus i can add some other kindly problems. Paid to renew my "old version" of total security, program says that key number is invalid. Tried many times to resend me credential from customer pannel,no email response.

Downloaded new version from cnet. After installation i have 2 ad aware on pc (so there is no update from old to new version). Probably lavasoft have to specify, first uninstall previous version and than reinstall new version, thing that is write nowere. New version now accept the same key that previously didn't work, but every time pc turns on, windows ask me to launch program. At last, new user interface is not friendly use than the old one and program lost pc-tune option, the only one useful thing that make difference between pro and total ( omitting the higher price ).

Hi Cecilia, there may be a little egg on my face, but not much. As far as version 11 being release to early, my answer is yes. I believe marketing wanted release 11 delivered on the eleventh.

Well this morning at 08:00 CTZ I received a call from the support group Andrew M was on the line (the call ended at 11:00 CTZ). She (yes, she) ask a about the problem I was having. I told her what I told you: I explained the first time I removed all remnants of AdAware using the free version of Revo Uninstaller, Rcrawler and, also removed directories numerous times over the last week. I e-mailed support ([Request ID :##190653##] and I was told to use ‘REVO Uninstaller Pro’ with ‘Force’ option, that did not work either.

She had me connect to ‘remote control’ and she was able to view my laptop. She spent some time (about 30+ minutes) looking at the install and trying different things to turn on the 3 protections that would not activate. Finally she asked if she could set up a remote shutdown and re-boot. That being accomplished she removed the installed version through the control panel (gee where have I heard that before), rebooted the system then downloaded a new version of eleven. The install went with no issues. About 09:30 AdAware was working again.

She was about to signoff when the action center indicated that AdAware was not running. She examined the message (I think other techs were viewing also). I will send you the transcript (PM).

She rebooted the system. About 2 to 3 minutes after the boot the action center reports AdAware is not running. She looked into the action center and where the 2 antivirus programs are displayed. She started AdAware and tried to start Defender which would not start because I have disabled it. In the past there were conflicts when 2 or more antivirus programs running with AdAware. To me the solution was easy only run AdAware. As you will see from the transcript she thought AdAware disabled Defender. Her solution was to disable the message. I am not sure if all action center messages will be disabled (not good) but for now we will try this solution. One of her statements that is perplexing: …when windows starts it doesn't see the work of ad-aware which starts working later then windows. But it is ok. The Ad-aware works now in real time protection”. I am not sure in the grand scheme of MS boot when AdAware starts, but I checked services and Ad-Aware Service is ‘Automatic’ not ‘Automatic (delayed)’. Also, it does not have dependencies.

And last but not least: how does AdAware know when there is a clean installation vrs. an update/upgrade. If I remove all references to either ‘AdAware’ or ‘Lavasoft’ my conclusion is that there is another registry entry that does not carry the previous designations. Just a thought.

Cecilia, I hope Lavasoft knows what an asset you are to the organization. Having to go through an intermediary for support is not the easiest way to perform your tasks, since you are not a paid employee of Lavasoft. In my opinion you perform far and above.

John

Hi again :) and good morning to you too.
Please tell me the path on Windows 8.1 where AdAware puts the Quarantine files, then I'll zip both (that & original EXE) into a folder to upload in the "Report False Positives" section.
will the quarantined file have the same name, or is it changed when put there by AdAware?
Also, yes, you're welcome, ...for the iExplorer link... ;)
... I never knew anything like that was even possible on a NON-Jailbroken iDevice. :D

Good night Robsav,

Sorry, I haven't installed Ad-Aware 11 on this computer yet. Have you checked if the folder is the same as for Ad-Aware 10 in Windows 7?

See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/18033-guide-for-posting-false-positives/ but if you can't find the quarantined file, the install file will probably be enough.

Hi.

Same problem with total security version 11.0.4555.0. Plus i can add some other kindly problems. Paid to renew my "old version" of total security, program says that key number is invalid. Tried many times to resend me credential from customer pannel,no email response.

Downloaded new version from cnet. After installation i have 2 ad aware on pc (so there is no update from old to new version). Probably lavasoft have to specify, first uninstall previous version and than reinstall new version, thing that is write nowere. New version now accept the same key that previously didn't work, but every time pc turns on, windows ask me to launch program. At last, new user interface is not friendly use than the old one and program lost pc-tune option, the only one useful thing that make difference between pro and total ( omitting the higher price ).

Hi voyager310,

It's a very big difference between old Total Security and Ad-Aware 11 Total Security, nothing in common at all. That maybe is the reason for no automatic uninstallation, but I agree with you that Lavasoft should have told you that you needed to uninstall the old program yourself. I'll forward that information to my contact person at Lavasoft on Monday.

Hi Cecilia, there may be a little egg on my face, but not much. As far as version 11 being release to early, my answer is yes. I believe marketing wanted release 11 delivered on the eleventh.

Well this morning at 08:00 CTZ I received a call from the support group Andrew M was on the line (the call ended at 11:00 CTZ). She (yes, she) ask a about the problem I was having. I told her what I told you: I explained the first time I removed all remnants of AdAware using the free version of Revo Uninstaller, Rcrawler and, also removed directories numerous times over the last week. I e-mailed support ([Request ID :##190653##] and I was told to use ‘REVO Uninstaller Pro’ with ‘Force’ option, that did not work either.

She had me connect to ‘remote control’ and she was able to view my laptop. She spent some time (about 30+ minutes) looking at the install and trying different things to turn on the 3 protections that would not activate. Finally she asked if she could set up a remote shutdown and re-boot. That being accomplished she removed the installed version through the control panel (gee where have I heard that before), rebooted the system then downloaded a new version of eleven. The install went with no issues. About 09:30 AdAware was working again.

She was about to signoff when the action center indicated that AdAware was not running. She examined the message (I think other techs were viewing also). I will send you the transcript (PM).

She rebooted the system. About 2 to 3 minutes after the boot the action center reports AdAware is not running. She looked into the action center and where the 2 antivirus programs are displayed. She started AdAware and tried to start Defender which would not start because I have disabled it. In the past there were conflicts when 2 or more antivirus programs running with AdAware. To me the solution was easy only run AdAware. As you will see from the transcript she thought AdAware disabled Defender. Her solution was to disable the message. I am not sure if all action center messages will be disabled (not good) but for now we will try this solution. One of her statements that is perplexing: …when windows starts it doesn't see the work of ad-aware which starts working later then windows. But it is ok. The Ad-aware works now in real time protection”. I am not sure in the grand scheme of MS boot when AdAware starts, but I checked services and Ad-Aware Service is ‘Automatic’ not ‘Automatic (delayed)’. Also, it does not have dependencies.

And last but not least: how does AdAware know when there is a clean installation vrs. an update/upgrade. If I remove all references to either ‘AdAware’ or ‘Lavasoft’ my conclusion is that there is another registry entry that does not carry the previous designations. Just a thought.

Cecilia, I hope Lavasoft knows what an asset you are to the organization. Having to go through an intermediary for support is not the easiest way to perform your tasks, since you are not a paid employee of Lavasoft. In my opinion you perform far and above.

John

Hi John,

I'm glad that you have a working Ad-Aware now :)

The explanation "“when windows starts it doesn't see the work of ad-aware which starts working later then windows." can't be correct. If it was correct, all Ad-Aware installations would behave the same and they aren't.

Thank you for the kind words :blush::D

Good night Robsav,

Sorry, I haven't installed Ad-Aware 11 on this computer yet. Have you checked if the folder is the same as for Ad-Aware 10 in Windows 7?

See http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/18033-guide-for-posting-false-positives/ but if you can't find the quarantined file, the install file will probably be enough.

Hi, yes, the location was the same for the v11, but the very large file doesn't seem to be in the Quarantine section.

It should be over 180 MB but nothing in that folder is nearly that large, besides the dates of the files there not matching the Quarantined date of this file.

So, I'll just upload the main install EXE infected file, with the Scan Report XML file LS Andy mentioned in that link you showed.

thanks for your reply. :)

Hi Cecilia,

the file attach routine says the file is TOO big to upload (over 180 MB)

what can I do to get the forum to allow the attachment?

Edited by Robsav

Hi Robsav,

You can upload the file on http://sprend.com/ and send Andy the download link in a PM (not in the forum since the file only can be downloaded once).

That Action Center reports that Ad-Aware is turned off, is a known issue and will be fixed, probably in the next version of Ad-Aware 11.

Thanks Cecilia, now i must revise my diatribe on the support call. Too busy watching football (American) yesterday.

A solution to the issue with grey buttons after update/installation of Ad-Aware 11 on computers with Windows 8.1 has been developed. It will be included in an up-coming release.

To be able to find the solution on other Windows installations, Lavasoft needs to connect to a computer with that issue. Please, tell us if you can help Lavasoft.