Sign in to follow this  
Theo1882

Never Had So Many Problems with Software Before, Never...

Question

I'm not even sure where to start because I have so many issues with Ad-Aware 11.

I installed Ad-Aware (V 10.5) for the very first time exactly a week ago, having run Microsoft Security Essentials for years. I got rid of MSE because of the on-going download issues, getting worse with every MS update.

After reading a number of reviews, I decided to try Ad-Aware, recent reviews seemed to bear out that you are now a topflight A/V again, or so I thought.

I installed Ad-Aware Free.

10.5 seemed to be just what I was looking, light, unobtrusive, didn't freeze my system, and with the exception of trying to get a key, it went smoothly.

Then the notice to upgrade to V11 sometime earlier this week.

I have had nothing but problems and I'm not sure how to move forward:

1. When I boot up now, this has been going on since the upgrade, "service is unavailable", the little icon just spins and spins - it takes about 30 minutes for the service (whatever that "service" is) to connect such that the tray icon will turn orange, rather than completey grayed out.

During this 30 minutes of searching, Ad-Aware completely freezes my entire system - can't get anything done, nothing will load during this time.

In addition to this maddening process, I get constant nagging, as follows:

2. My "computer is at risk" - this is from you, not from Microsoft's Security Center - it nags me to run a scan every single morning.

Today is typical - it has been 43 minutes since the "quick" scan started as of this writing, it is not yet completed, and it has slowed my system to a crawl, it even freezes my mouse and keyboard.

I am very very upset at this turn of events.

I don't want to run a scan every day, it's not your call how I should manage my system or my time - I have a process that I go through every week, not every day - your scanning forces me to stop working for a solid 80- 90 minutes first thing in the morning.

Since I bill my clients by the hour, who is going to pay for this?

I have never been exposed to a piece of software that was so unbelievably difficult to deal with, never.

BTW, my "quick" scan this morning took 47+ minutes, it has just now completed - this is unacceptable, considering the 2 scans I did using v10.5 took 20 minutes or less, one of them was the initial scan after installation.

What is the solution to all this? is there a way to downgrade to v10.5?

Thanks so much...

Hi Theo1882,

Sorry that you got such serious problems after upgrading Ad-Aware, it's definitely not normal. It's possible that not everything of Ad-Aware 10.5 was uninstalled and the left-overs now disturbs your system.

Please, upload logs by following http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to make it possible for Lavasoft to investigate the problem.

Hi again,

Please, note that Quick Scan in Ad-Aware 11 scans more than in Ad-Aware 10 and therefore takes longer time, but instead it will miss fewer malicious files, registry items and cookies. But it should go in the background and let you do other things with the computer.

Usually Ad-Aware only wants you to scan the computer every third day. With so many new malicious files every day that spread fast, it's hard for all antivirus programs to add new definitions before computers are infected, and it's important to do scans frequently to find malware that are missed when they first enter the computer.

Cecilia,

I have some other things to do today, will get to the logs sometime later today.

That said, would it be easier to just uninstall everything and download 11 again.?

I assume there is an uninstaller?

As for the third day nag, this makes no sense.

Ad-Aware tells me it checks every hour for new definitions - if your software is effective, given the hourly check on definitions, it should catch everything in realtime, as such.

I run my realtime A/V (now Ad-Aware) every Friday, along with the other on-demand scanners (not realtime, on-demand).

Please let me know...

Theo1882,

No hurry with the logs, my contact person is leaving the office for the weekend any minute now (European time zone).

Sorry, since I don't know why there are problems in your computer, I don't know if an uninstallation and new installation will solve it. But, of course, you can try that after collecting the logs, since it will take several days before you get an answer due to the weekend.

Are the on-demand scanners designed to be used together with another antivirus program?

It's usually not enough to only turn off real-time protection in antivirus programs to stop its drivers and it's drivers from different programs that collide and give strange problems, e.g. a slow computer. I think the drivers are listed in the System Information log.

Yes, the scanners work with each other because they are not realtime, nor are they resident. They are second opinion scanners, like Hitman Pro.

My realtime set up is in layers, I use Microsoft's EMET and WinPatrol as the additional realtime security, neither of which will interfere with Ad-Aware because they are not A/V or A/M software.

In the meantime, there was another update of a new version about 1.5 hours ago.

How often is there a version update? That is 2 just this week.

Is this normal, multiple new versions in a week? Good Lord, it took 30+ minutes to download and install, again, taking over my entire system.

I really have to rethink this if there are this many new versions on a constant and continuous basis.

This entire process is so incredibly invasive and complex - nothing else I use is like this, it's been this way all week.

The loss of productivity is nothing I've ever encountered before, just for a simple A/V program.

This isn't a billion dollar SAP or Oracle implementation.

BTW, why is this marked solved?

This isn't solved by a long shot...

I can't see that any post is marked as solved, I only see a Mark Solved button on all posts.

Yes, the scanners work with each other because they are not realtime, nor are they resident. They are second opinion scanners, like Hitman Pro.

My realtime set up is in layers, I use Microsoft's EMET and WinPatrol as the additional realtime security, neither of which will interfere with Ad-Aware because they are not A/V or A/M software.

In the meantime, there was another update of a new version about 1.5 hours ago.

How often is there a version update? That is 2 just this week.

Is this normal, multiple new versions in a week? Good Lord, it took 30+ minutes to download and install, again, taking over my entire system.

I really have to rethink this if there are this many new versions on a constant and continuous basis.

This entire process is so incredibly invasive and complex - nothing else I use is like this, it's been this way all week.

The loss of productivity is nothing I've ever encountered before, just for a simple A/V program.

This isn't a billion dollar SAP or Oracle implementation.

The current update rate won't continue. It's because some serious bugs have been discovered now when the program has been installed in more computers than during beta test.

Hi Jimindc,

Please, collect and uploads logs as I wrote in post #2.

I have attached the log and systems zip files...

I simply can't find the Msi temp file(s) anywhere, I have tried most of this afternoon to find them - maybe they were deleted when I ran my weekly scans on Friday, including temp file clean up.

Where else should I look?

Logs.zip

System.zip

I have attached the log and systems zip files...

I simply can't find the Msi temp file(s) anywhere, I have tried most of this afternoon to find them - maybe they were deleted when I ran my weekly scans on Friday, including temp file clean up.

Where else should I look?

Thank you for the logs :)

Since the MSI log is in the temp folder, it's deleted when you run a clean up of that folder.

Theo1882,

I can see that a driver of Ad-Aware version 9 is still running in the computer. Please remove it:

Start menu - Run - All programs - Accessories - Command Prompt

Enter the following commands and end each command with the Enter key:

sc stop Lbd

sc delete Lbd

If you get an error message from the first command, don't enter the second one.

If you gen an error message, please write it in your answer here.

Are you sure that WinPatrol has been set to allow all changes that Ad-Aware requires?

Version 9?

I have never installed anything related to Ad-Aware before last Friday, version 10 or 10.5, whatever it was, then the 2 installs of 11 this past week...

1. I got the following message after the first entry:

[sC] Control Service Failed 1062:

The Service Has Not Been Started

2. As for Winpatrol, the following are in startup:

AdAware Tray (2 instances, which I don't understand)

AW Service

AW Security Center

AW Desktop

AW Command Line

3. I run MS EMET, as well - AWTray and Service are listed, but since EMET is opt-in, EMET is not monitoring them.

Yes, Lbd is a driver in Ad-Aware 9 and earlier version. It doesn't exist in Ad-Aware 10 or 11.

1. You can proceed with the second command to delete the driver.

1. I'm not sure what you mean - leave what problems to Lavasoft? I thought this was a support forum?

2. How is it that I had components from Version 9 on my system when I never installed any version of Ad-Aware before 10.5?

1. I can't interpret the logs, but I have informed Lavasoft that you have uploaded them.

The main purpose of this forum is to let users of the free version of Ad-Aware help each other with minor issues. Remember that the Free version has a limited free support, see license agreement. If you are using Ad-Aware commercially, you should buy a license and then you are entitled to contact the Lavasoft support team for all your issues.

I'm a volunteer here and not paid by Lavasoft.

2. I have no idea.

Hi mod. Same exactly problem as Theo and the other guy.

I couldn't find the temp files but I do use ccleaner on a daily basis. I scanned for deleted files in the folder and found no msi's. Ad-aware 10 ran with no issues.

The computer is only running smoothly in safe mode now.

thanks for your prompt attention.

*tried to uninstall from control panel but it gave an installation error message. Went in program files and ran the uninstaller which appeared to complete but adaware is still present and now the uninstaller has disappeared. Still can not uninstall from control panel so we have a non-functioning av that's screwing up the computer and no easy way to remove it.

system info.zip

Ad-Aware 11.zip

Edited by Super Cactus

Hi Super Cactus,

I have sent a PM to my contact person at Lavasoft and hopefully a person can check your logs on Monday.

If you prefer to have the computer in the state before the uninstallation of Ad-Aware, you can try to do a system restore to a date before the uninstallation:

Start menu - All programs - System toools - System restore

Hi Super Cactus,

I have sent a PM to my contact person at Lavasoft and hopefully a person can check your logs on Monday.

If you prefer to have the computer in the state before the uninstallation of Ad-Aware, you can try to do a system restore to a date before the uninstallation:

Start menu - All programs - System toools - System restore

Hi thx for the prompt reply.

It's actually the second time I'm having this problem but the first time I thought it was just my computer so I secure erased the entire hard drive and reinstalled everything. That was a week ago and ad-ware was the first program I reinstalled. I'll wait for the assistance from lavasoft and I do hope they make this a priority as this version is clearly causing problems.

Did the others ever find a solution?

You're welcome :)

Note that the other two persons in this topic installed 11.0, but you have installed 11.2. Since Jimindc never came back with any logs, he/she wasn't given any help in the forum, but can have contacted Lavasoft support team directly. I don't know if Theo1882's issue was solved.