Sign in to follow this  
benmrii

All Outlook archives gone

Question

Started a new job and the computer running XP was painfully slow. Ad-Aware has served me well for years so installed and ran it. This morning I try to load up the 5 years of archived emails from my predecessor and they will not load. I kept it both as a second profile in Outlook and backed it up as a standalone archive .pst file. Both are gone.

I find no .pst files in the quarantine folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 11\Quarantine) and am at a complete loss on what to do next. If anyone has any suggestions please share them. This is a huge issue, and unfortunately he used POP3 so there is nothing online to pull from.

If it matters, I have not reset my computer since Ad-Aware removed the files. At this point I'm nervous to do anything unnecessary in case it will make things worse or preclude me from trying something that might help. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Edited by benmrii

13 answers to this question

Hi benmrii,

Please, collect and upload folders and files by following http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issue.

PS. To get an email when I reply, please click "Follow this topic" button, which is located rather close to the upper right corner.

Thank you for your reply. I have attached the files Logs and System Information.

Unfortunately under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data there is no folder titled Local, nor is there under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. A file search for msi* turns up nothing (outside of C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch) for the the last week+.

Logs.zip

System Information.zip

Thank you for the logs. :)

Please, create a zip file from the whole folder c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 11 and upload it, Lavasoft needs some more information from another Ad-Aware folder.

Please, find the file name of the .pst file. You should be able to do that by following the instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636 .

Sorry, it was the wrong path for the .msi file, it has been corrected to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp, but the file isn't always created.

Thank you again for your help and patience.

The file names were Outlook.pst (original, still attached to the original profile at C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Outlook\Outlook.pst) and Outlook 20131021.pst (in a folder I created backing up my predecessor's significant data ...\My Documents\CW Backup\Outlook 20131021.pst).

There are two files in the Quarantine folder that were too large to include for uploading to this thread (UKYYJLK7XBNFGP9K2RWW8ZZ3GA.bdq, 298MB and 58ZA7BTPKQ7FFL6ETM4KFUTTHE.bdq, 1.00GB). To keep things simple I removed them prior to zipping the folder. The rest is unchanged.

And thank you for the clarification on the .msi files. I double checked the folder you listed, but to no avail.

Ad-Aware 11.zip

Also, I have been holding off resetting my computer in case that effects the potential/hopeful restoration of the .pst file(s). Is that overkill? Ideally I need to reset as I have an issue with another piece of software loading.

Sorry, I can't answer that.

I have informed my contact person that you have uploaded more files, but I don't know when she can look into your issue.

According to the logs two .pst files were quarantined during the 4th scan with Ad-Aware.

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\CW Backup\Outlook 20131021.pst

Probably they are inside the two big files you couldn't include in the zip file.

Please, go to quarantine tab in Ad-Aware (not the folder) and check if you can see the files there.

Scan Computer - View Quarantined Files

Well I would be embarrassed if I wasn't so incredibly relieved. I am clearly the buffoon who did not actually check the quarantined files via the application. I was able to restore both from Ad-Aware. Thank you!

I'm glad it has been resolved and you have the e-mails again. :)

Maybe best that you add the .pst files to the Exclusion list (also under Scan Computer) to avoid that they are quarantined again.