Sign in to follow this  
puc79

Service Unavailable

Question

Hey

I have been running ad aware free versions for a while now and updated them as new versions have become available. I did so from v10 to v11 the other day. This is where my problems started.

After updating the program ran fine for the first day. But after this, whenever I open the client, there is a black bar across the client saying service unavailable.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall a few times but it does make any difference.

At the end of the installation process, it asks that you register when prompted. This never happens and the client I install says it has registration that will run out sometime in December. Also I am never asked to enter an e-mail address so I don't know how to get a permanent key because the link to get a key is broken (when I press get a key chrome opens to your web site where all I get is a message like action failed).

Have I done something wrong?

I look forward to your response and hope to be able to resume your otherwise product.

Regards

puc79

Thanks, for the file.

Please, upload Ad-Aware.zip on http://sprend.com/ or another file uploading site you are familiar with, and send me the link to the file in a PM.

Thanks for the answer

Meanwhile I reinstalled the software and, so far, it seems to be working fine.

Anyway I appreciate your help.

Best regards

Joao

Good!

To uninstall and reinstall is often a good start in trouble-shooting.

You're welcome :)

Hi Cecilia

i got curious so I checked on my Windows 8.1 Pro and found I had one file but not the other.

i stopped the first, then deleted it.

if this gfibto file was left-over from v10.x could it have been the cause of my strange behavior with v11?

i never had the errors shown by these other posts, (Service Unavailable), and definitions / program loaded, but I'm wondering if the one file that was still there possibly could have "played" with the scanning or "disinfecting" function of v11, making it erratic.

if so, maybe that's why mine deleted files without logging the action.

post-89679-0-61748600-1383906273_thumb.jpg

By the way, no listing showed for the hidden devices, when view-mode changed, in the device manager, so I tried the command prompt (Administrator)

post-89679-0-17291100-1383906874_thumb.jpg

Right-Mouse-button click on Start Button for Admin Command Prompt (Windows 8.1 Pro)

post-89679-0-02177600-1383907302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robsav

Hi Robsav,

Yes, gfibto and gfiark are left-overs from Ad-Aware 10. Note, the spelling gfiark (stands for GFI anti-rootkit), not gfiarc. Sorry, I can't say if it/them can make Ad-Aware 11 behave as it did in your computer.

The function to see "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" in the Device Manager has been removed in Windows 8. :wacko:

Hey thanks for correcting my spelling mistake.

it turns out the second file WAS there, but just not started.

i deleted it anyway.

post-89679-0-95588300-1383910867_thumb.jpg

i haven't re-installed v10.5 yet, been busy past couple of days, and was curious as to these files when I saw this post.

maybe one still remaining active while the other is there but not started didn't cause the other types of errors, but still interfered with v11, ... but they are gone now. :) at least.

Could AdAware v11 have a fault that doesn't completely remove or shut-down the v10 files, when installing v11, and some systems have different variants of file remnants that may create different errors?

it's very strange, anyway.

When I put back the corrected v11 (when ready), after using v10.5 , I'll check these older files again to be sure they're out.

and thanks for the other info of what MicroSoft-heads didn't put into Win8 ... :D

Edited by Robsav

There is a bug in the installation program that sometimes doesn't remove the old drivers and a fix for it will be included in the next update of Ad-Aware. Unfortunately the update has been postponed again since Lavasoft wants to fix several known bugs before publishing the update and not all of them are working as they should yet.

No problem :D

Hi! I have Windows 8.1 and Ad-Aware Free+ V.11. After I upgraded from v.10 it ran fine once it was activated, but then it told me the service was unavailable. I proceeded to uninstall and reinstall it, and it worked for a couple of weeks. Now it's telling me that it's 'Not Activated' (I never received a key) and that the Service is Unavailable again. I'm not entirely sure how I should proceed - should I just try and locate and delete the aforementioned files through command prompt since Windows 8 doesn't show the Non-Plug/Play devices? Thanks!

Thanks Robsav!

I went ahead and deleted the files via Command Prompt and the problem seems to be resolved.

On a side note it may also have resolved a strange error I was having that Windows Support couldn't figure out in relationship to the 8.1 Update where my PC said it was offline whenever I was trying to sign in and made me use the last password I'd used when the system was still on Windows 8. It doesn't appear to be doing so anymore, so that's a bonus.

Interesting..!

Your additional information supports my 'theory' it may also be the cause of my v11 issue using it on Win 8.1

It may affect separate system configurations differently, other than ways already known, that cause strange behavior with the OS, not showing up as the usual symptoms, or in addition to them.

thanks for that..! :D

Thanks Robsav!

I went ahead and deleted the files via Command Prompt and the problem seems to be resolved.

On a side note it may also have resolved a strange error I was having that Windows Support couldn't figure out in relationship to the 8.1 Update where my PC said it was offline whenever I was trying to sign in and made me use the last password I'd used when the system was still on Windows 8. It doesn't appear to be doing so anymore, so that's a bonus.

I was having the same issue but deleting the device twice from the Device Manager seems to have helped. Thanks!

You are welcome, feystep :)

I'm glad your Ad-Aware is working now.

I think I spoke too soon. This problem refuses to go away! :wacko:

I am running Win 7 x64 and have tried repeatedly removing the devices from the device manager and doing a fresh install, this problem keeps reoccurring. Probably similar to everyone else, when the service unavailable message appears, Ad Aware appears to revert back to the Free version, where I have the paid Personal version.

I was unable to upload the Ad Aware folder as it is 14mb in size. The other files are attached.

MSIe46da.zip

Nov112013.zip

Bad :(

Thanks for the logs :)

Please, upload the Ad-Aware folder to any file uploading site, e.g. Dropbox, Sugarsync, that you are familiar with or you can upload it on http://sprend.com . Please, paste the link to the file here, but if you use Sprend you have to send me the link in a PM since the file only can be downloaded once.

No need to apologize :)

Do you have the "Service Unavailable" message now?

According to Lavasoft it doesn't look like that in the logs.

There seems to be an activation issue and that's why it looks like you have the free version. Please, let Lavasoft get your license key and look at your IP configuration:

Start menu - All programs - Accessories - Commando Prompt

Enter this command (end with the Enter key):

ipconfig /all

Take a snapshot (PrintScreen, Snipping Tool) of the result (maybe several if the list is long) or copy the result and paste it into a text file. Upload the snapshot(s) or text file to Google Docs and send me a PM with a link to it/them and your license key of Ad-Aware. I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft.

You can remove the Ad-Aware folder from your Google Docs.

Hi,

I've been using Ad-Aware Free edition for a while, but suddenly I can't open the program and get a message "service unavailable"

My OS is Win 8 64bit.

Thanks for your helpattachicon.gifAshampoo_Snap_2013.11.03_19h23m11s_001_.jpg

Hi all,

I add this for the sake of confirmation and more evidence for everyone.

I came here looking for a solution to the very same thing shown in Newbie's screenshot.

It has been happening on and off ever since installed AdAware Pro-Security 11 a few weeks ago.

Alarmingly, I would often find this had happened when I'd lefy my computer unattended for a while so who knows how long it had been unprotected???

I did have AdAware 10 but manually uninstalled it months ago as it was too heavy on system resources.

I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus along with Windows Firewall in the meantime.

I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit, Service Pack 1 fully updated.

What is interesting is that I have just followed the instructions in Post #9 of this topic and low and behold there were the very drivers you mentioned.

The instructions were close enough to how it looked on my system for me to follow the spirit rather than the letter of the law as it were.

I had to restart my computer for the first driver uninstall and then repeat the process for the second driver and restart again.

I've copied and pasted those instructions below for clarity:

Thanks for the screen shot.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage.

Find the Device Manager in the left column.

Select View menu - Show hidden files.

Select View menu - Show hidden devices.

Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the middle column.

Find the gfibto driver.

Right-click it and select Uninstall.

Repeat for the gfiark driver.

Restart the computer.

Everything you say adds up. It now remains to be seen if it has done the trick. As the problem is intermittent I'll let you know in a few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm very, very happy with AdAware 11 in all other respects! :)

Hi all,

I add this for the sake of confirmation and more evidence for everyone.

I came here looking for a solution to the very same thing shown in Newbie's screenshot.

It has been happening on and off ever since installed AdAware Pro-Security 11 a few weeks ago.

Alarmingly, I would often find this had happened when I'd lefy my computer unattended for a while so who knows how long it had been unprotected???

I did have AdAware 10 but manually uninstalled it months ago as it was too heavy on system resources.

I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus along with Windows Firewall in the meantime.

I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit, Service Pack 1 fully updated.

What is interesting is that I have just followed the instructions in Post #9 of this topic and low and behold there were the very drivers you mentioned.

The instructions were close enough to how it looked on my system for me to follow the spirit rather than the letter of the law as it were.

I had to restart my computer for the first driver uninstall and then repeat the process for the second driver and restart again.

I've copied and pasted those instructions below for clarity:

Everything you say adds up. It now remains to be seen if it has done the trick. As the problem is intermittent I'll let you know in a few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm very, very happy with AdAware 11 in all other respects! :)

Hi worldwidewardy,

I'll keep my fingers crossed ;)

Welcome back even if Ad-Aware works as it should. It's useful for others to know that the uninstallation helped.

I'm sure Lavasoft appreciates that you're happy with Ad-Aware 11 :)

Hi darkhawk78,

According to the logs the Ad-Aware service is started and a scan was running. Please, explain in more detail your issue.

I'm back and boosting this topic again. Despite the lack of gfiark and gfibto drivers since I previously removed them, this problem has started to happen once more. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program a couple of times, and on reinstall it tells me that I have an active license until 2015 or so, but then after a couple of days it starts showing 'Service Unavailable' and says the product hasn't been activated.