Sign in to follow this  
Wildways

All Outlook Content is gone

Question

I ran AdAware 11 Pro scan and it claimed I had a virus, so promptly deleted my entire Outlook.pst folder/file. I can now not start Outlook as it cannot fine the file.

I can find no way to recover this file. I phoned AdAware and the technician says I must buy another program to get my file back. NO WAY this is extortion.

How do I get this file and my emails back? Why does AdAware not have an undo function?

4 answers to this question

Hi Wildways!

Please, go to quarantine tab in Ad-Aware and check if you can see the file there.

Scan Computer - View Quarantined Files

Maybe best that you add the .pst files to the Exclusion list (also under Scan Computer) to avoid that it's quarantined again.

No there is nothing there - looking at the log it seems it disinfected the file which I assume is the same as deleting it, not quarantining it.

There should be an easy way of undoing anything Adaware does. We as users rely on Lavasofts expertise to protect us, yet I have lost all my business emails for the last two weeks since my last email backup.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<Summary><ScanInfo EndTime="20131030T144409.558198" StartTime="20131030T132948.558198" ScanType="Full" ScanMode="Manual"/>-<InfectedObjects><InfectedObject ThreatName="Trojan.GenericKD.1367345" ThreatType="Virus" ObjectStatus="Deleted" InnerObject="" ParentContainers="" ObjectPath="C:\Users\Andy\Documents\Outlook Files\My Outlook Data File.pst" ObjectType="File"/></InfectedObjects></Summary>

It's possible that when a file can't be disinfected, it's deleted but I'll check with Lavasoft.

Since the file is located in your document folder, I don't think a system restore would help, unfortunately.

Lavasoft asks if you allow them to connect to your computer to try to find the lost file. You'll see everything they do, and you'll be able to stop them and communicate with them. If you accept it, please send me your email address in a PM. Lavasoft will respond in another PM and later on send you a file by email.