Sign in to follow this  
sanjeev1966

Installed Ad Aware 11, but i cant download definitions !

Question

Hello lavasoft,

i recently installed ad aware 11.

But after i've installed the antivirus, the definitions won't download.

it says- " Something prevented definitions from updating. Please try at later time. "

I've tried it several times, but am facing this same problem.

Please help me--- I AM AN AD AWARE PRO SECURITY CONSUMER

post-104684-0-83915600-1383486603_thumb.jpg

Hi Sanjeev,

Since you have bought the product, you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers: http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/contact_support

Is the computer connected to internet through a proxy server?

Check here:
Control panel - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings

Are all Ad-Aware processes allowed in the firewall?

If you have turned on the firewall in Ad-Aware, try to turn it off.

Hi Sanjeev,

I asked you two questions in my previous post, please answer them.

If you have a bad, slow or unstable internet connection, it can be difficult to download the definitions.

How is your internet connection?

What's the problem with logging in to the support center?

Please, collect and upload the files that Lavasoft needs to be able to investigate your problem, see http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ for instructions.

Thank you for the logs, Sanjeev :)

But you forgot the last one, the System Information file. It contains important information about your computer.

It can take a few days before the support team answers you, I think they are heavily loaded at the moment.

Hi jmababa001,

If you upload all the necessary files before Sanjeev does it, the process of finding the reason will start sooner.

Hi Sanjeev,

I can see that the installation program for Ad-Aware 11 missed to remove two drivers of Ad-Aware 10. Please, uninstall them:

Right-click My Computer and select Manage.

Find the Device Manager in the left column.

Select View menu - Show hidden devices.

Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the middle column.

Find the gfibto driver.

Right-click it and select Uninstall.

Repeat for the gfiark driver (if listed).

Restart the computer.

If Ad-Aware still isn't working, please uninstall Ad-Aware 11, restart the computer and install Ad-Aware 11 again.

If Ad-Aware still isn't working, collect and upload everything on http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ .

I'm having the same issues as Sanjeev. I uninstalled the gfibto driver, and rebooted my computer. That didn't work. So, I uninstalled Ad-Aware 11 and restarted and reinstalled. And I got the same problem. Please help.

Hi aonyeka,

Please, check that the two drivers haven't reappeared, since they sometimes need to be uninstalled twice before they really are gone.

If you need more help, please collect and upload everything mentioned on http://www.lavasofts...roubleshooting/ .

Hi cecilia,

I have done as you told me...

I uninstalled the gfibto files multiple times and have tried each and every thing possible to get my ad aware working but to no avail....

plz help me.

Hi sanjeev,

Let see if it possible to fix it with the help of the FRST tool.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Double-click the FRST program icon and the program will start to run.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will make a log file, called FRST.txt, on the desktop.

Open the log file in Notepad.
Please, copy its content and past it into your reply.

I too am having trouble..... my defintions wont update, and my windows action center keeps telling me my adware fire wall is off and also my antivirus. i have to keep enabling it in my windows action center manually every time i boot up my computer.... but yet my adware tells me im protected... hmmmmm weird.. hopefully its working! I purchased my copy also

• Like 1

Hi olivia6663,

How long time ago were the definitions updated?

Which Windows version do you have?

Please, answer the questions in post #2.

If Ad-Aware tells you that you're protected you are and there is some kind of misunderstanding in the communication between Ad-Aware and Action Center.

+Cecilia

Def files updated the day I installed the new version of 11........ Ive had to click on check for updates every day after that.. even though I have it set to check automatically.... I am using windows 7 i believe they updated today AFTER i clicked on check updates

IIm still having to manually enable firewall and virus scan after reboot....... Its getting old to keep doing that :(

+Cecilia

Def files updated the day I installed the new version of 11........ Ive had to click on check for updates every day after that.. even though I have it set to check automatically.... I am using windows 7 i believe they updated today AFTER i clicked on check updates

IIm still having to manually enable firewall and virus scan after reboot....... Its getting old to keep doing that :(

1. Does the updates work if you turn off the Ad-Aware firewall and turn on Windows firewall instead?

If yes, the Ad-Aware firewall isn't configured as it should.

2. Does Ad-Aware report that the firewall and other protections are on, even when Action Center reports that they are off?

If yes, please ignore the messages from Action Center.

3. Is the computer connected to internet through a proxy server?

Check here:

4. Which antivirus program did you have before the installation of Ad-Aware 11?

If you had Ad-Aware 10, please, check if you have any drivers called gfibto or gfiark (instruction for Windows 7 and Vista):

Search for gfibto and gfiark drivers.

Do you find them?

Hi Cecilia,

Great News...!!!!!

My Ad- Aware repaired itself.....

Now its working fine....

Thank you for your support

Hi sanjeev1966,

That's great!

You're welcome :)

Wow, one person had a miracle. It hasn't helped the rest of us who cant update or can't turn on the protection. Windows defender won't even let me let Adaware run. I think I have wasted my time downloading, registering and looking for answers. I'm out.

Hi d lan,

If you want to get some help with your issue, please answer these questions:

1. Is the computer connected to internet through a proxy server?

Check here:

2. Which antivirus program did you have before the installation of Ad-Aware 11?

If you had Ad-Aware 10, please, check if you have any drivers called gfibto or gfiark (instruction for Windows 7 and Vista):

Do you find them?

3. Are all Ad-Aware processes allowed in the firewall?

1. Does the updates work if you turn off the Ad-Aware firewall and turn on Windows firewall instead?

If yes, the Ad-Aware firewall isn't configured as it should.

2. Does Ad-Aware report that the firewall and other protections are on, even when Action Center reports that they are off?

If yes, please ignore the messages from Action Center.

3. Is the computer connected to internet through a proxy server?

Check here:

4. Which antivirus program did you have before the installation of Ad-Aware 11?

Do you find them?

I turned off adware firewall , then turned on windows firewall, restarted computer.. windows firewall is still on, but adaware anti virus in the action center reports its turned off....... yet adaware shows im protected. I am using windows 7.......... no i do not connect thru a proxy, and yes I did see the driver gfibto in the device manager......... still have to manually turn virus protection on thru the action center............... this is getting old.......... how do I know if my software is working correctly.I ran a full virus scan the other day it came up with 0 detections which is good, but adaware 10 always found cookies to delete,, 11 shows nothing............. I used Mcafee virus proection before i bought adaware....... dont know what else to do to confirm im secure with virus;s and malware!

I turned off adware firewall , then turned on windows firewall, restarted computer.. windows firewall is still on, but adaware anti virus in the action center reports its turned off....... yet adaware shows im protected. I am using windows 7.......... no i do not connect thru a proxy, and yes I did see the driver gfibto in the device manager......... still have to manually turn virus protection on thru the action center............... this is getting old.......... how do I know if my software is working correctly.I ran a full virus scan the other day it came up with 0 detections which is good, but adaware 10 always found cookies to delete,, 11 shows nothing............. I used Mcafee virus proection before i bought adaware....... dont know what else to do to confirm im secure with virus;s and malware!

Hi olivia6663,

If Ad-Aware reports that the protection is on, then Ad-Aware is working and you can ignore Action Center.

Instructions for how to uninstall gfibto are in this post: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33712-installed-ad-aware-11-but-i-cant-download-definitions/#entry143449

Please, run McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR) by following the instructions on http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 .