Sign in to follow this  
Novackfamily

Inability to adjust settings - 11 blocking email and more

Question

I am an Ad-aware user since it was invented 1999. I was pleased when Lavasoft added anti-virus. I administer a number of seats on a number of accounts. Recently I have been updating Pro Plus to 11 from 10 and had moved everyone to Pro Plus from Total in 2012 after a long discussion with Lavasoft tech because it is more effective and faster. I can attest not one of our machines has had a invasion.

However 11 lacks Lavasoft's long standing ability to adjust settings. Here are some problems encountered:

Email -

11 alone decides if an email is dangerous/spam/etc. There no longer is the ability to either click to allow an individual email or to enter an email address into an ignore list. One of many examples:

Two of our businesses are customers of giant Office Max. Both are also MaxPerks members where there are points and discounts for purchases. In addition to ordinary emails which 11 lets through, MaxPerks sends "flash sale" notices of items on deep discount for only 4 to 6 hours - about once a week. These SALE emails arriving in Outlook (Microsoft Professional Plus 10 fully updated) are blocked by 11 and posts its substitute notice. The original inaccessible. HOWEVER, if that same email is downloaded from our servers (some on Exchange and some internet POP) on a machine still running Ad-aware Pro Plus 10 - it is not blocked. A right click scan of it yields that the message is all okay. And it is. Getting such email is important to a business saving money on regularly purchased supplies.

Lavasoft's current solution? Stupidly - Turn off the email protection entirely. a/k/a throw out the baby with the bathwater. aa/k/a if you don't like it my way you are on your own.

Java

I access numerous bank accounts. Each bank has adopted deposit by photo/scan of check. A real convenience. I have been doing this for 2 years with it working fine on all our 64 bit windows 7 machines. All keep up with the latest Java version - used to manage the process. All those machines have been running Ad-aware Pro Plus 10. On updating to 11 no machine will allow the computer to use the scanner (via Java) to acquire the check photos let alone transmit them to the bank on clicking submit (never gets to submit or even to permits the scan.) I am going to assume that because action is being undertaken thru a page in a web browser ( tried ie10, FF, Chrome, Safari) that Ad-aware 11 is blocking the action. Nothing else is wrong since it can still be done on a machine running Pro Plus 10. A bank tier 3 tech suggested reinstalling the latest version of Java. OOPS, 11 also blocks the download of Java.

As a loyal user, I am looking for solutions ASAP. This is affecting our businesses. Where can I adjust the settings like I always have?

Thanks anyone for the help. :unsure:

5 answers to this question

Hi Assignor,

This forum is a place where users of the free version of Ad-Aware can help each other. Those that have paid for Ad-Aware are entitled to use Lavasoft support team instead. Your questions/requests are best handled by the support team and maybe should be given to the sales team, too.

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/contact

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/contact_support

I don't know anything about why Lavasoft has decided to do things in a particular way, but my impression is that they wanted to something simple that fits a lot of persons just because it's simple and no one needs to be worried that they have chosen the wrong settings. I understand that Ad-Aware 11 doesn't fit all persons. I'm not aware of any hidden settings, but it's possible to configure the firewall in numerous ways if you think that the firewall blocks the access to the scanner etc.

If Ad-Aware blocks the download of Java it's probably a false positive. Please, follow applicable parts of the guide http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033 to give Lavasoft all the information they need to be able to investigate if it is a false positive.

Thanks Cecelia B

I have submitted it through the online support channel. However, I feel that there would be general interest since this occurs on multiple machines, in multiple locations, run on various seat licenses on multiple accounts - all of which I administer. It is not a consumer wherein support can log on to some errant computer and fix it.

Maybe I am missing something but in all these years I have never noted that the Forums were for free versions only. So I would imagine a whole bunch of paid users look to forums for answers and to share. And, in truth, considering (1) the low cost for extremely better functionality/protection and (2) the state of 24/7/365 internet attacks these days I can't imagine why anyone would try to squeak by with only any vendor's free version and hope nothing happens. I can say, our total switch to Lavasoft after the addtion of anti-virus has resulted so far in an invasion free experience - something we never got with machines running Norton or McAfee. With them, during any given year something always got by even on their highest level program. (My free commercial for Lavasoft).

Having said that, I think they shot themselves in the foot by idiotizing the interface. Maybe that is what happens when a company is taken over.

You are welcome, Assignor :)

There are users of paid versions that ask or answer questions here, but they are few.

Nice that you have been satisfied with your experience of Ad-Aware.

As far as I have seen from other web sites Ad-Aware now has a larger market share than a few years ago.

• Like 1

So judging form the above exchange, there is no way to retrieve blocked email messages and also there is no way to configure the program to not block messages from "trusted" sources.

Nice feature guys...(Not!)

Clearly, my search for a proper anti-spam program is not complete.

Hi BDMarvin,

Ad-Aware isn't an anti-spam program in that sense. Ad-Aware quarantines emails since they have malicious attachments or links, not only for containing unwanted ads. Even friends' email accounts can send emails with malicious content if their accounts are hacked. You can read what Lavasoft writes about email protection on http://www.lavasoft.com/products/features.php?t=email and you see that they don't call it an anti-spam feature.

If you want Lavasoft to add an anti-spam feature, please add it to the http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33637-suggestions-ideas-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-in-ad-aware-11/ topic since that is monitored by Lavasoft staff. Other topics aren't.