Sign in to follow this  
metaed

"Registration failed! Your registration could not be completed, please try again later."

Question

This is a first-time install of any version of Ad-Aware. Platform is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with SP1.

Avast Pro and Spybot S&D were uninstalled and the system was rebooted prior to installing Ad-Aware.

The system was recently scanned with Avast Pro and Spybot S&D, no malware found. Ad-Aware 11 was able to install, update, and scan the system, no malware found.

There is no Internet proxy configured on this system.

The only issue seems to be completing the registration.

Cheers

Edward

Edited by metaed

10 answers to this question

I have the same issue with my ad-aware free antivirus. I am running WindowsXP Pro SP3 Fresh Install, updated. Installation went very smooth but the Registration and subsequent issuing of a product key will not complete. I keep getting the error message: "Registration Failed! Your registration could not be completed, please try again later." I have allready tried turning off the firewall and connecting directly to my modem. I have good internet connectivity but the registration program does not work. I need my anti-virus to work and if its going to cut me off in a month then I will try another antivirus.

Hi Edward,

Please, check that all Ad-Aware processes are allowed full access in the firewall and run the special uninstallation tool for Avast.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

If you still have the same error message after 24 hours, please send me your name and email address in a PM and I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft. She will send you the license key in another PM.

Hi Jeepkeys,

If you have the same error message after 24 hours, please send me your name and email address in a PM and I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft. She will send you the license key in another PM.

Hi everyone,

There was a temporary issue with the registration/activation server. It has been fixed now.

I retried at about 1300 CT, no good. I rebooted and retried at about 1325 CT, no good. That rules out the activation server (unless it's gone down again).

I downloaded the Avast "AvastClear" removal tool, booted into safe mode, ran the tool successfully, rebooted, and retried at about 1400 CT, no good. That rules out Avast.

I checked firewall settings (Windows Firewall): outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed, and there are no rules for AdAware. That rules out the firewall.

Other ideas?

They didn't fix the activation server. A couple of hours after I wrote my previous post, I got the information that the server wasn't stable.

Hi jonl130155!

I haven't seen any complaints since the beginning of December, so I'm pretty sure the server is up. But there could be other issues.

Which antivirus program did you have before installing Ad-Aware?

Which firewall do you have?

Which version of Ad-Aware 11 do you have, Free, Personal, Pro or Total?

Which Windows version do you have?

Please, check that no proxy server is used:

Start Internet Explorer.
In the Tools menu select Internet options, followed by Connection tab and then click the LAN Settings button.
If the check box Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) is selected, please:

1. Write down the content of the Address and Port fields, if the Address field is empty click on Advanced and write down the addresses and ports there. These values indicate if the computer is or was infected.

2. Remove the check mark before clicking OK twice.

I was ultimately able to activate my copy on December 5. I did not need to make any other changes to my system; it just didn't work one day and did work the next.

I hope the activation server can be made stable soon. New users are wasting a lot of effort checking various system settings when the real problem is at the Lavasoft end.

Hi metaed,

Since nobody has complained during the last two weeks until today, I think the activation server has been stable.