ebloch

Ad-Aware Command Line Scanner

Question

Win 7 Home Premium SP-1 64 bit, AA 11.1.5152.0, CLS _x64_11.0.4555.0

CLS --updatedefs and --custom "D:\\" run succesfully in unattended batch files

Problem or bug :(

The notification section of the main Ad-Aware GUI does NOT update after above operations

Result of today's scan, NO infected objects found:

1. at 0927: Scan time 7:13, Progress Bar ~90%

2. at 1158: Scan time 9:43, Progress Bar ~75%, Time Left 0:29

3. at 1450: Scan time 12:37, Progress Bar ~80%, Time Left 0:41 Scan Manually Stopped

---------- Batch file segment follows with some Echo commands removed for clarity
TASKKILL /IM iptray.exe /T /F > NUL
SET AdAwareVer=11.5.202.7299
SET ACL="C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareCommandLine.exe"

START "" %ACL% --updatedefs
TIMEOUT 180 > NUL & :: 3 minute delay to allow update completion
START "" %ACL% --custom "C:\\"

CALL :SetSec
SET /A "ss=%ss%-180"
TIMEOUT %ss% & :: Open GUI after key press or 3 min before batch end time
START "" "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\%AdAwareVer%\AdAwareDesktop.exe"

CALL :SetSec
SET /A "ss=%ss%-120"
TIMEOUT %ss%
START "" "C:\Program Files\Immunet\3.1.13\iptray.exe"
GOTO ShowReport

I'm sorry, but I don't know why your scan times are so extremely long.

I have been away for a few weeks.

A s a test I changed last Sunday to a quick scan and it completed in 5:25 which seems reasonable to me.

I have now changed back to --custom "C:\\" which is what has been running "long".

Questions:

How does Ad-Aware know when a scan is complete?

Perhaps it is running repeat scans. Is there a way I could check if it is?

Edited by ebloch

Ad-Aware should keep track of which files that have been scanned, it seems to have some kind of rules for deciding in which order the folders are scanned.

I subscribe to Soluto monitoring for my PC and today's report indicated crashes of LavasoftTcpService on 01/31, 02/02, and 02/05

What does LavasoftTcpService do?

Could it influence my scans? Last scan (quick)was on 02/01.

I do have "Web Companion" running and am very willing to uninstall it.

Should I remove it using the procedure outlined in:

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/LavasoftTcpService-75eac1ff33c6b489d4455304fc769157-application.htm

LavasoftTcpService is a part of Web Companion and you uninstall it in the usual way from the Control Panel's list of installed program. It shouldn't be necessary to use another program for that.

This is the uninstallation instruction: http://webcompanion.com/help#10

Now using version 11.6.306.7947 and for the first time in a long while a custom scan of C completed by itself in 8:06:39.

As noted in previous postings in this topic before this version I had to manually stop scans after 10++ hours.

I can only hope this continues. :wub:

This is an old topic but I now think I have a solution for my slow scans.

When I originally set up AdAware I thought I would always scan the whole computer. That was some time ago and at a time when my PC only had a 1 TB HDD and much less software installed with smaller and fewer data files. Of course that changed over time along with newer versions of programs and added hardware. My C drive is now an 500GB SSD and the HDD is partitioned into D and F.

At the beginning I had several anti-malware and virus tools installed which I used each to scan one day a week but which were otherwise inactive. My exception list included the quarantine folders from each along with my NAS.

When scanning AdAware it must first read a file name to scan and then check the exception list to see if it should proceed or skip the file. Now I have thousands more files then at the beginning and the constant checking of exception status is slowing the scan.

My solution is instead doing a whole PC scan I do a custom scan of "C:\\;D:\\;F:\\" and limit the exclusions to files that are on them. This reduces the exclusions while limiting the scan locations and the net result is a more acceptable scan time.

If that scan time becomes excessive I will separate it into two scans, "C:\\" and "D:\\;F:\\", and provide a separate exclusion list for each.

The exclusion list is "C:\ProgramData\adaware\adaware antivirus\Options\IgnoreList.db" and since I am running the scans from a batch I could have IgnoreList_C.db and IgnoreList_D.db and copy the one required into IgnoreList.db before running a scan.