Sign in to follow this  
Ericbee29

Lost Network Adapters After Ad-Aware 11 uninstallation

Question

I've been trying to uninstall my copy of Ad-Aware 11 from my Lenovo T61 running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, and every time I do it disables all my network devices and I lose connectivity. I've seen the topic for XP and Vista but I can't find anything in the Support Forums dealing with this problem in Windows 7. Will one of those fixes work with Win 7?

Images (2) attached of Device Manager before and after uninstallation......thanks.

post-105104-0-52703200-1389147306.png

post-105104-0-70841700-1389147305.png

22 answers to this question

Hi Ericbee29,

I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft if we can get fixes for Windows 7, too.

Tried the fixes, did not work. No real explanation as to what they do either so I cannot help the solution manually.

Cannot download new version to try to replace settings either, as it prompts to download version info immediately and cannot due to lack of connectivity.

My client is going to be very poor after this case.

Hi insanegain,

Since you know Windows well (I guess due to you job), you can try to remove the network drivers manually, too.

Control Panel - Network and sharing center - Change settings for network card (since I'm translating from my computer the exact terms might be different)

Right-click the network card and select Properties.

Deselect objects related to Ad-Aware, GFI and Bitdefender

There is an standalone (offline) installer available on http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter

If Lavasoft shall be able to investigate the reason to the lost connection, you have to collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/

Hi and thanks for your prompt reply and willingness to help on this issue,

Under both network adapters, wireless and LAN, there are no objects related to Ad-Aware, GFI and Bitdefender

Running Stand alone installer now and will see what happens.

More to come......in minutes

I can go to any web site by ip address, but not by sitename, which leads me to suspect changes in the dns. I have tried to manually solve that issue but was not able to.

Since you can go to web sites by IP address, it's another issue than the lost network adapter. In the latter case the internet connection is lost completely.

Was Avast installed before or after the uninstallation of Ad-Aware?

There are also services from Trend Micro installed. If they shouldn't be there, try to find a removal tool for Trend Micro Client Security.

What's the result from the "ipconfig /all" command?

Can the "ping" command resolve any web addresses or does it only work with IP addresses?

On Monday I'll inform my contact person at Lavasoft that there are logs to check.

Did Avast find anything malicious?

Is it configured to detect PUP and PUM?

Check that no proxy is configured in "Internet Options" - "Connections" - "LAN settings".

Have you checked the content of the Hosts file?

Do a DNS Flush in Command Prompt: ipconfig /flushdns

Since I made my post I've found that whenever I can't browse all i have to do is disable the adapter and then enable it and it works everytime.

It would seem to act like a DNS problem, but in my case it was all down to the drivers.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2128671

See also the post by IELC Lab on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1735863/ping-browse.html

What happens if you change the DNS Servers to OpenDNS in the network settings?

http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses/

What's the result of the "nslookup google.com" and "ping google.com" commands?

I have tried everything I could think of before posting to this site.

Avast found nothing

uninstalled/re-installed adapter

Disabled re-enabled adapter

flush dns

winsock reset

deleted host file

recreated host file with spybot

imported host file from working pc

No proxy is selected.

I tried using openDNS and that didn't work. Tried using google's dns servers and that didn't work.

Nslookup and ping google come back no host found, but when I ping the ip address of google I get a reply, in fact I can browse there by typing http://74.125.225.63, no problem. Thats what makes me suspect something along the lines of DNS, probably by way of AD-aware having some stealthy firewall that got corrupted on uninstallation.

My client loaded the adaware, ran it once, uninstalled and has laptop hasn't been on line since.

Results of NS Lookup are:

nslookup www.google.ca

Server: Unknown

Address 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.google.ca

Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4009:803::1017

Since nslookup could translate google.ca to IP addresses the issue isn't related to the DNS server.

Have you installed the network driver after fetching it from the computer manufacturer's (network card manufacturer's) web site?

I couldn't see any drivers or services related to Ad-Aware in the system information file, but we can check with the FRST tool, too.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply (press More Reply Options button to se how to attach files).

Haven't done network driver only because I am getting the same result with the LAN and the WLAn

I guess it is time to try that though. Can't hurt.

WIll try the above recommended steps and report back

THank you

Can you ask how the user uninstalled Ad-Aware, e.g. from Control Panel or by a Revo Uninstaller or another similar program?

There are nothing in the logs of Ad-Aware that are from the uninstallation, the earliest information is from you trying to install Ad-Aware by using the normal installation program.

Is it possible to do a system restore to a time before your client installed or uninstalled Ad-Aware, or before you started to work on the computer?

If not, please uninstall Avast and Ad-Aware to get a more "clean" system.

System restore failed. First thing I tried.

User used the control panel to uninstall the Ad-aware product.

Avast has already been uninstalled and I will do Ad-Aware next.

Back in minutes

Correction, avast was still installed....now uninstalled along with the Ad-adware.

Tried creating new windows user profile and tried that....no success.

Edited by insanegain

Did you try the system restore in safe mode?

Please, attach the FRST logs.

Ran system restore in safe mode and it failed. Once it restarted it said that it completed successfully and the network connection is back on.

I'm not sure if I want to uninstall the as-aware or not.

I ran through the repair your computer option on boot up and Safe mode system restore worked.... Network connectivity has been restored. Uninstalled the ad-aware and

Thanks for all of your help.