Sign in to follow this  
taffy078

Word 2007 - info about documents

Question

When you hover over an icon (in this case a Word document) a box appears showing "Type/Author/Size/Date Modifed."

A friend has come to me for advice - I can't help him & hope that you can.

He has XP and, unbelievably, no up-to-date firewall/anti-virus software. [i suspect that there are many like him.]

He has just opened a folder that contains ten documents with confidential/sensitive information. He created them at different times over a few months using the 'New' template but now, when he hovers over the icons, everyone of them shows 'Author' as someone else - a stranger - and with the same date.

Is it possible that someone has hacked into his PC? Is it possible for him to check?

5 answers to this question

Hi taffy078,

I don't think it's a malware issue that you describe. Maybe you/he should ask in a forum for Microsoft Office.

But, of course, he should install an antivirus (Ad-Aware) and scan the computer. But be very careful when uninstalling the current solution and check if there are special removal tools that need to be used.

Hi CeciliaB. Thanks for this - I've been directed to a MS MVP's website and I've just paid about $30 for an answer. Fingers crossed!

By the way, I'm about to create a new thread about how to check if you've been hacked. It came in a newsletter from PCPitstop. Also in that Newsletter was a warning about download sites installing crapware - CNET is mentioned and I'm sure that I came across them when using the Lavasoft site. If you want to mention it to someone there, is there a way that I can PM you? I can't paste the web address here.

Hi taffy078,

You're welcome :)

I hope you and your friend have a solution soon.

Yes, Lavasoft uses CNET for file hosting, but CNET is not allowed to add any adware to the installation file. CNET is one of the largest program download sites and sure there are crapware, but a lot of good and useful programs too, e.g. a lot of well-known antivirus programs: http://download.cnet.com/windows/antivirus-software/

Regarding your other topic, I would say, it's not a check if you have been hacked but if you have an account on one of those nine hacked web sites. But thanks for the tip :)

You can send a PM to me by clicking the "Send me a message button" on http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/user/79449-ceciliab/ .

Thanks CeciliaB. I've PM'd you.

Regarding the hacking thread , I've asked you a question there for when you've a moment.

The number of the thread is 33807. I tried to copy & paste the link but couldn't. Has the Forum blocked "copy & paste"?

You're welcome, taffy078!

I've answered your PM.

The hacking thread is http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33822-have-you-been-hacked-how-to-check-it-worked-for-me number is 33822.

This topic has 33807.

Sorry, there is a compatibility issue between Internet Explorer 11 and all forums based on the forum platform from IP Board. We're waiting for the next version of the forum platform, which will solve the issue.