Sign in to follow this  
seansmall

Can't boot to run any scans (Blue Screen of Death)

Last week I restarted my computer, only to realize when it started up that I now had some new toolbar. Don't remember the name of the toolbar, but it was clear that I was infected. My antivirus was expired, so I installed Norton and ran a scan. While running, the scan froze and I had to restart the computer again. This is where it took an even worse turn. I got an error saying the NTDLR is missing. Did some reseach and figured out I need to restore the settings. However, when I put in the Windows XP cd, it goes thru setup and brings me to the Blue Screen of Death.

It tells me I should run a virus scan, but I can't get the computer to boot, even in safe mode, to run the scan. Not sure this is the right place for guidance, but no idea where else to ask. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

Hi Sean,

There are tools to clean a Windows installation that doesn't work, but to know if it's useful in your case I need some more information about the failing XP installation and the computer.

When during the installation do you get the BSOD?

Compare with the instruction on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp#section_2 .

What is the STOP code on the BSOD?

Do you have backups of all your important files, as photos, emails, favorites/bookmarks?

Have you had BSOD issues before or suddenly missing files?

That could indicate a bad hard disk.

I recommend that you to test the hard disk with its manufacturer's test program, which can be found on the manufacturer's web site. If you don't know who has manufactured the hard disk, look into the BIOS Setup to find the article number of the hard disk. It is usually easier to find the test program with the help of http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 than searching manufacturer's web site. Or check in the computer manual if the manufacturer of the computer has included some hardware diagnostic tests that can be started even when Windows isn't working.

Thanks for the response. After inserting the XP cd and booting from CD, I got to the blue screen where it said it was installing files. I never got to the licensing agreement or anything like that as it stopped during that installation. I don't have the STOP code off the top of my head, so I'll take a look and post it when I'm home after work.

I don't have backups to any of the files on my hard drive. However, the only files that are important are my emails, which I can access thru Gmail on any computer. I have music uploaded to Google Play, so i can get all that back as well. The rest of the files/favorites/etc... aren't needed.

This is the first time I've had BSOD issues.

Thanks again.

Here's the stop message in it's entirety:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0x00000000, 0X00000000)

STOP: 0X0000007B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Please, check if the XP CD is damaged, e.g. scratches, if not it might indicate a serious hard disk failure.

Sorry, I can't do anything more. You can ask in a general purpose Windows forum, if you want to spend more time trying to install XP on that computer.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact the staff member who was helping you with your issue.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank you !