Sign in to follow this  
parker5

Alienware Laptop running very slow

Question

Hi - we just purchased a used laptop which is a Alienware laptop. It ran "ok" when we tested it but since has become very slow in just about everything. What I have done so far is downloaded Malware Bytes and ran it twice. There were 10 objects removed. It does run a little faster but still very slow for such a powerful computer. Can you please advise what else I need to do to see how to make it run faster? I still feel something is making it run slow. Here is what the system is:

Alienware

Processor 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2,26GHZ 2.27GHZ

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Sys Type: 64 bit Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Thank you so much for any advice you have to offer - Jeff

6 answers to this question

Increasing your RAM from 2 to 4 GB will make a big difference. ;) What is the size of your hard drive? I run a 450 GB hard drive.

Hi Jeff,

I strongly recommends that everyone reinstalls Windows on all used laptops they buy. It's the only way to know that there are no key-loggers, spyware and other malware in it.

Thank you for your responses

@Peter the machine is 136 GB of which 63% is being used - yes good idea on upping the RAM to 4 GB thank you

@Cecilia B - in order to reinstall Windows I like this idea. To do this dont we need the key# or encryption key? I have never had to do that before. Would it be possible to use a restore point or would that not be sufficient?

Thank you both for your help!

You're welcome Jeff,

You need the license key for Windows and all other licensed programs that are installed. On a laptop the license key for Windows is on a sticker, called COA, which is attached to the bottom of the laptop or inside the battery compartment. Microsoft has photos of different COA on http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx#PCPurchase .

There should be a recovery partition on the hard disk that can be used to install Windows and the computer will contain the same Windows and programs as it did when it was shipped from the factory. The computer manual should have instructions for this, and it can be downloaded from the web page for the computer model.

http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads.aspx

Cecilia B - Thank you very much - will attempt this in a few days. Is there anything I should "not" do while reinstalling it? We do not have much personal stuff on the laptop yet but want to be sure I don't wreck the hard drive... Thanks again!

You're welcome, parker5 :)

Usually you can't do much at all during the installation, but since the computer manufacturer creates the program for reinstalling Windows I don't know what it looks like in your computer. But the reinstallation program is designed to be easy to use.

Take backups of all important files, and don't forget favorites/bookmarks and emails.