Sign in to follow this  
adephagous

Ad-Aware Free Antivirus Update not taking place

Question

Hi

I downloaded the free Ad-Aware Antivirus and am unable to activate it as the prohram is unable to update the definition files. I can see the download starting (1.86 / 184.46 MB ) but after a while the application closes with a message stating that something prevented the definition from updating. I have a broadband connection and the speed is terrific, have also tried rebooting the laptop couple of times but to no avail. Please help (have attached the zip file for investigation).

Thanks

Ad-Aware 11.zip

23 answers to this question

The official solution from Lavasoft is to uninstall Ad-Aware, and select to delete everything during the uninstallation, restart the computer and then install Ad-Aware again.
Link to installation program: http://ow.ly/sQKKE

An official apology from Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33939-message-from-richard-martineau-product-owner-and-coordinator-at-lavasoft/

Hi adephagous,

There have been (or still are) some issues with the update server today, please restart the computer and try again or try later.

Apparently today it is still not working. I have reinstalled the Ad-Aware and my virus definition update is sitting at 1.97 MB of 195.48 MB for last 8 minutes. I have an 8Mbps line and my internet works well.

I donwloaded today also and have been trying for ages to get it to work...

"Definitions could not be updated. Something prevented the definitions from updating. Please try at a later time"

I have been with no sucess. I have reinstalled twice and rebooted multiple times to no avail.

Is there anyway I can go back to my adaware 10? That actually worked!

I've currently turned win defender and the firewall back on but have no virus protection. I'm going to look for other alternatives tomorrow. It's such a shame. I've been a long time user of adaware. Computer shut down

Edited by EADragongirl

Hi everybody,

Since there are several users with the same issue, I think it's an issue with the update server. Sorry, but I can't reach my contact person at Lavasoft during the weekend.

Filehippo has old versions of Ad-Aware, maybe they work: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/15369/

You're welcome, EADragongirl!

I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Well, that a program isn't popular doesn't mean that it isn't an excellent program ;)

Ad-Aware has improved a lot during the last years, but most people haven't realised that, they still thinks it's an anti-spyware program and don't know it's an antivirus program with good test results.

Been trying to update def files since 5/15 to no avail. keeps telling me update failed and to try again later. Reboot does not work.

Is this a server problem again? Had identity stolen (income taxes) and sort of worried about surfing now with definitions outdated. Please advise.

Been trying to update def files since 5/15 to no avail. keeps telling me update failed and to try again later. Reboot does not work.

Is this a server problem again? Had identity stolen (income taxes) and sort of worried about surfing now with definitions outdated. Please advise.

Hi Christof60,

Lavasoft is aware of that there is an issue with the definition updates and they are working on a solution, but it might take a day or two to solve it.

I hope LavaSoft can solve it soon. I keep getting the message "Definitions could not be updated. Something prevented the definitions from updating. Please try at a later time". I turned off the firewall when trying to update, but it made no difference.

I can't use AVG antivirus anymore - their latest updates destroyed my internet connection. I would like to stay with Ad-Aware. Please help.

I hope LavaSoft can solve it soon. I keep getting the message "Definitions could not be updated. Something prevented the definitions from updating. Please try at a later time". I turned off the firewall when trying to update, but it made no difference.

I can't use AVG antivirus anymore - their latest updates destroyed my internet connection. I would like to stay with Ad-Aware. Please help.

I'm getting the same message, it only started yesterday. I've been using Ad Aware for a few years now and this is the first time I've seen this. I have it installed on several computers, so I hope Lavasoft is working on a fix.

Same problem here since the 7th of this month (may-2014) with pro. "something prevented the definitions from updating". I've been using ad-aware for years and spend a lot of money on lavasoft.

Hi everyone,

This fix have worked for at least most users, please try it:

Please, go the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0\Plugins, using Windows Explorer or similar program, and delete all files that you are allowed to delete.

Restart the computer, please.

Ad-Aware should now start downloading updates automatically and be able to install them.

If still unsuccessful, please reply here and then follow the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/ to update manually.

Manual update worked Cecilia. Thanks. It let me do an update after that also.

You're welcome, ddattler :)

I'm glad it helped.

It worked for the manual update but failed again on both Computers the next day, Pro 11

I'm sory, ddattler. In some computers the same issue will reoccur sometimes, unfortunately. Lavasoft is working on a permanent solution but until it's released, the only way is to repeat the procedure with deleting or replacing the definitions.

I plan to upload the latest definitions tomorrow.

I have 3 computers with ad-aware pro 11 Paid for and installed. They all refuse to update. They download but then fail to apply the updates in each case. I'm on public networks a lot. I'd say this is a very unsafe situation.

I have 3 computers with ad-aware pro 11 Paid for and installed. They all refuse to update. They download but then fail to apply the updates in each case. I'm on public networks a lot. I'd say this is a very unsafe situation.

Hi ddattler,

If the fixes I and other persons have given in the forum don't work for you, please contact Lavasoft support team: http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/login?destination=support%2Fsupportcenter%2Fcontact_support

I'm locking this topic since that particular definition update issue has been solved.

Please, start a new topic if you can't update definitions and attach logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issues.