Sign in to follow this  
Geoff46

Service Unavailable Ad-aware not Activated

Question

This is the third time that I have had this problem and the only solution seems to be to remove and re-install Ad-Aware version 11 on this windows 7 computer. Ad-aware was installed in compatibility mode . The only other anti-virus program I am running is

Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have it running fine on a Windows XP version and also on a Vista version.

The program has been running fine for a few months then all of a sudden today I get the "service unavailable" and the note at the

top that says Ad-Aware not activated. Cannot do anything but watch the circle spinning in the middle of the black band. I have read the forum and have tried the following to no avail.

1) Right-click My Computer and select Manage.

Find the Device Manager in the left column.

Select View menu - Show hidden devices.

Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the middle column.

Find the gfibto driver.

Right-click it and select Uninstall.

Repeat for the gfiark driver.

The Devices are not there.

2) Just to be sure I also did the following:

1. Start a Command Prompt window:

Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

2. In the Command Prompt window enter the following commands (end each one with the Enter key):

sc stop gfibto

Got error The specified service does not exist.

sc stop gfiark

Same Error

And yes Ad-Aware was activated and no it was not more than 12 months ago.

I have attached a screen shot of the problem.

I will not uninstall and reload program in case you or The Lavasoft folks want any files/logs etc..

Thanks

post-92199-0-59047000-1393872727_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Hello CeciliaB

Sorry I have been busy and just got back to this . My original post was on March 3. Today March 6 everything is working again. I have done nothing to fix

the problem but again all is now working fine.

Don't see much sense to collecting logs etc. when everything seems ok, unless you still want them.

Thanks for your reply and apologize for not getting back sooner.

Hi Geoff46,

I'm glad that Ad-Aware is working and you don't need to collect logs now, of course.

You're welcome :)

I have this exact same problem (in Windows 7 Pro) and have tried the same solutions. In my case, it has been several weeks and the program has not healed itself. I did try reinstalling and it did seem to work for a short time, ie: a day or 2.

Hi dinobaba,

Did you install or update Comodo Internet Security or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware shortly before Ad-Aware service process stopped working?

It's very important to configure Comodo and MBAM to let everything related to Ad-Aware run.

Hi again,

Please, specify which Comodo program you have, antivirus program, firewall, both or something else, and if it's Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free without real-time protection or paid/trial with real-time protection. According to the logs Ad-Aware Service stopped running after a scan and that maybe is due to some kind of conflict with one of the other two programs.

Did the issue start when you upgraded from MBAM version 1.75 to version 2?

...if it's Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free without real-time protection... maybe is due to some kind of conflict with one of the other two programs.

Did the issue start when you upgraded from MBAM version 1.75 to version 2?

Before trying to install the new Ad-Aware I had upgraded MBAM to V2...

Uninstalled old AA....

Installed new AA...

Over 24 hrs. later some of it was installed but it was still trying to 'Initialize'...

Cancelled further 'installation'...

Search Bar in place and appears to work...

Invoked AA via Decktop Icon and go the dreaded Balck Banner w/ 'Service Unavailable' ringy dingy... and 'Not Activated' red flag in Header...

So, what do you suggest I tell MBAM to do or not do, appropriate settings to make, etc. and then what to do about getting AA to install and perform...

TIA...

sc.alt.1

Before trying to install the new Ad-Aware I had upgraded MBAM to V2...

Uninstalled old AA....

Installed new AA...

Over 24 hrs. later some of it was installed but it was still trying to 'Initialize'...

Cancelled further 'installation'...

Search Bar in place and appears to work...

Invoked AA via Decktop Icon and go the dreaded Balck Banner w/ 'Service Unavailable' ringy dingy... and 'Not Activated' red flag in Header...

So, what do you suggest I tell MBAM to do or not do, appropriate settings to make, etc. and then what to do about getting AA to install and perform...

TIA...

sc.alt.1

Hi sc.alt.1,

I suggest that you uninstall MBAM and Ad-Aware, restart the computer, install Ad-Aware, restart the computer and when you know that Ad-Aware is working you can install MBAM. Since Malwarebytes says that MBAM shall be compatible with all antivirus programs, you should ask them for necessary settings to get the combination of Ad-Aware and MBAM working.

If Ad-Aware isn't working after its new installation, it's possible that there are left-overs from the old version of Ad-Aware and then we need to see the log files to be able to check that.

Welcome back with more questions.

Hi sc.alt.1,

I suggest that you uninstall MBAM and Ad-Aware, restart the computer, install Ad-Aware, restart the computer and when you know that Ad-Aware is working you can install MBAM. Since Malwarebytes says that MBAM shall be compatible with all antivirus programs, you should ask them for necessary settings to get the combination of Ad-Aware and MBAM working.

If Ad-Aware isn't working after its new installation, it's possible that there are left-overs from the old version of Ad-Aware and then we need to see the log files to be able to check that.

Welcome back with more questions.

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll give it a try first chance I get and try to remember to let ya know how it works out.

sc.alt.1

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll give it a try first chance I get and try to remember to let ya know how it works out.

sc.alt.1

Yes please, tell us how it works out.

Hi CB...

Is it generally best to Uninstall programs using their included Unistaller such as MBAM has, or to do it via the Control Panel Add / Remove function? AA as installed in my case this time does not have one, but I noted the MBAM does.

TIA,

sc.alt.1

Hi CB...

Is it generally best to Uninstall programs using their included Unistaller such as MBAM has, or to do it via the Control Panel Add / Remove function? AA as installed in my case this time does not have one, but I noted the MBAM does.

TIA,

sc.alt.1

Hi sc.alt.1,

It doesn't matter, since "Control Panel Add / Remove function" calls the uninstallation function of the program, and that is the same uninstaller you can find for the program in the Start menu or in the folder of the program.

Tried the uninstall both AA and MBAM then reinstall AA, without search bar. Got the 'Not Activated' deal and attempt to run started, but then seemed to stall out as before.

I had AVG in service at the time, is that the issue now. I *think* I had disabled it the first time I installed AA and had the problem, but did have MBAM installed that time.

Beginning to reach point of diminishing returns as earlier versions never seemed to do much, but then my po ol memory may be a tad fuzzy on that.

What now... how many hoops does one have to jump thru just to get one lil ol program to install and play nice with other equally valued apps. It's getting to be jes a tad annoying... ';)

TIA,

sc.alt.1

Please, upload the logs and other information, see post #2.