Sign in to follow this  
dbarsalano

You can not download definition files.

Question

Dear Cecilia,

I´ve plea, you can not download definition files. The last one was withdrawn on May 15., And since you can not download the file or manually. What to do?

Today's update was 6.79 MB (yesterday's 3.38 MB). It still won't "Apply the definitions". "Something prevented...Try again later." I tried temporarily turning off my firewall, that made no difference. This is frustrating and it's been going on since April. Can Lavasoft please give some indication when/if the problem will be fixed.

I've been trying since the 14th May. it still isn't working

I'm Australia ( Sydney)

I have the Pro Security.

I wish they'd fix it or tell us something. I hate it when you ask something and don't get a reply

this is almost a week now - which is not good IMO

Edited by H-W-A

Salve, mi dite Che fare? POSSO Navigare tranquillamente? Devo Install un'altro antivirus? Dite di Che morte Devo morire, almeno così venire comportarmi! dovete Essere chiari, senza illudere le PERSONE con il 48 minerale. Sono 3 Giorni Ora. Allora cari Moderatori, dite, Carissimi Utenti non sappiamo Che pesci pigliare, non possiamo affermare con certezza QUANDO il Problema Sarà, risolto. installate antivirus ONU gratuito per EVITARE spiacevoli inconvenienti. almeno Una persona sa venire Stanno Le cose e non naviga con il rischio.voglio, anzi Penso di Parlare per Tutti, vogliamo Chiarezza e non Prese in giro. italia

Edited by piranha69

Salve, mi dite Che fare? POSSO Navigare tranquillamente? Devo Install un'altro antivirus? Dite di Che morte Devo morire, almeno così venire comportarmi! dovete Essere chiari, senza illudere le PERSONE con il 48 minerale. Sono 3 Giorni Ora. Allora cari Moderatori, dite, Carissimi Utenti non sappiamo Che pesci pigliare, non possiamo affermare con certezza QUANDO il Problema Sarà, risolto. installate antivirus ONU gratuito per EVITARE spiacevoli inconvenienti. almeno Una persona sa venire Stanno Le cose e non naviga con il rischio.voglio, anzi Penso di Parlare per Tutti, vogliamo Chiarezza e non Prese in giro. italia

Sorry, piranha69, this is an English speaking forum and I don't understand your post.

C´e un post del moderatore, per adesso si puó fare manualmente.

Hi everyone,

This fix have worked for most users, please try it:

Please, go the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0\Plugins, using Windows Explorer or similar program, and delete all files that you are allowed to delete. It should be approx. 16 files left, all with a name containing the word "cache".

Restart the computer, please.

Ad-Aware should now start downloading updates automatically and be able to install them.

If still unsuccessful, please reply here and then follow the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/ to update manually.

Note!

If you have a slow or unstable internet connection and Ad-Aware maybe can't download a complete set of definitions, you should move the files in the Plugins folder to a new folder, you can e.g. create a folder on the desktop. If Ad-Aware can't download the definitions, you can copy back the files. You will then have old definitions, but that's better than no definitions at all.

Edit:

Added paragraph for users with slow or unstable internet connection.

Edited by CeciliaB
  • Like 2

What about the people who don't think to, or don't know they can or should go to the Lavasoft support forums for help with this problem? Any word on when a real fix is coming?

What about the people who don't think to, or don't know they can or should go to the Lavasoft support forums for help with this problem? Any word on when a real fix is coming?

Hi confusedus,

Sorry, I don't know when a real fix is finished.

I have asked Lavasoft to write about the update issue in their blog or on their Facebook page.

Thank you CiceliaB - your suggested solution worked for me.

Lavasoft, however, needs to give consideration to whether they are serious about being in this game - no serious and responsible anti-malware provider should allow a problem like this to continue for a week without a solution.

I live in a rural community where computer skills are low if not non-existant. I have installed Ad-Aware on about 50 PCs (some are paid licences) since I was impressed by Ad-Aware's simple interface and "quiet" background operation. I also assumed that Lavasoft was a serious player. If Lavasoft does not come up with a simple solution to this problem (and I don't consider the solution that worked for me to be simple), I will have to contact all those users and advise them to uninstall Ad-aware and replace it with something more reliable.

Once again, thank you for helping me (and I'm sure many other users) out of this predicament.

• Like 2

none of this works. I have not been able to protect my computer. I deleted lavasoft and downloaded the newest version. Not working. I then deleted everything that had to do with Lavasoft from my computer. There are no files.rebooted computer. Downloaded again. Rebooted computer again. it will not update and will not allow me to scan there are no definitions for the software to use.

• Like 1

Thank you CiceliaB - your suggested solution worked for me.

Lavasoft, however, needs to give consideration to whether they are serious about being in this game - no serious and responsible anti-malware provider should allow a problem like this to continue for a week without a solution.

I live in a rural community where computer skills are low if not non-existant. I have installed Ad-Aware on about 50 PCs (some are paid licences) since I was impressed by Ad-Aware's simple interface and "quiet" background operation. I also assumed that Lavasoft was a serious player. If Lavasoft does not come up with a simple solution to this problem (and I don't consider the solution that worked for me to be simple), I will have to contact all those users and advise them to uninstall Ad-aware and replace it with something more reliable.

Once again, thank you for helping me (and I'm sure many other users) out of this predicament.

You're welcome, Jeremiah!

Even if something happened with the update servers a week ago, that stopped the update process in some computers, it wasn't until Sunday a lot of users started to post here in the forum and I informed Lavasoft on Monday. As long as only few persons reported update issues, I and Lavasoft assumed it was something in their computers and Lavasoft were studying logs from those computers to try to figure out what was going on. I can assure you that Lavasoft has worked hard the last week (and still is) trying to find the real cause and a permanent solution.

• Like 1

none of this works. I have not been able to protect my computer. I deleted lavasoft and downloaded the newest version. Not working. I then deleted everything that had to do with Lavasoft from my computer. There are no files.rebooted computer. Downloaded again. Rebooted computer again. it will not update and will not allow me to scan ###### there are no definitions for the software to use.

Hi latanasio,

I'm sorry, that the fix didn't work in your computer. Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issue.

When you have answered, I'll move your posts and my answer to a separate topic for easier and more focused investigation.

The fix worked for me but I have to echo Jeremiah's comment: a failure of this kind is an entirely new and unpleasant experience in my 20 years online.

I am particularly annoyed that Support---with whom I have been in contact since the weekend---did not advise me of the manual fix. The last word from them 2 days ago was that the issue was caused by insufficient server capacity for a rapidly expanding customer base and that it would be resolved in 24-48 hours. I am sure I am not the only one with this issue who contacted them. A Support team with its act together would have group emailed all concerned with the manual fix info as soon as it became available.

Additionally I was horrified to see a comment from the Moderator on Sunday saying 'I'll tell them [support] tomorrow.' If a company is going to offer a product of this kind for 24/7/365 use then it has got to have tech support in place 24/7/365 too. That is crucial. Lavasoft has put together a great product; if its ancilliary processes do not match it then its current success will not last long.

Deleted all Plugins as suggested and then restarted to PC. Watched as AA reloaded 202.96MB of Plugins and then successfully updated DEF Files. It is clear to me some of the original Plugins must have been corrupted preventing Def file updates. What caused the problem and how to prevent it from happening again is AA problem. If they can't solve it surely it will be the users problem again. You can count on it.

The fix worked for me but I have to echo Jeremiah's comment: a failure of this kind is an entirely new and unpleasant experience in my 20 years online.

I am particularly annoyed that Support---with whom I have been in contact since the weekend---did not advise me of the manual fix. The last word from them 2 days ago was that the issue was caused by insufficient server capacity for a rapidly expanding customer base and that it would be resolved in 24-48 hours. I am sure I am not the only one with this issue who contacted them. A Support team with its act together would have group emailed all concerned with the manual fix info as soon as it became available.

Additionally I was horrified to see a comment from the Moderator on Sunday saying 'I'll tell them [support] tomorrow.' If a company is going to offer a product of this kind for 24/7/365 use then it has got to have tech support in place 24/7/365 too. That is crucial. Lavasoft has put together a great product; if its ancilliary processes do not match it then its current success will not last long.

Hi F0rdePrefect,

During my 10 years in different forums, I have seen other antivirus programs deleting normal Windows files, making Windows non-bootable. Much much worse than this issue of not being able to update definitions.

The manual fix was very new when I wrote it here. A few persons writing on Lavasoft Facebook page got the same answer as you in the beginning of the week, as that was a theory at that time. I don't know but maybe it still is, since that could cause corrupt definitions.

Lavasoft's support is available on Sundays, and it's possible to reach the support team through Lavasoft web site and Facebook page, but my contact person works in Quality Assurance and is working more normal office hours. I'm a non-paid volunteer, visiting the forum on my spare time and trying to help those with different issues, but I'm not a magician nor know anything about the internal work at Lavasoft.

Deleted all Plugins as suggested and then restarted to PC. Watched as AA reloaded 202.96MB of Plugins and then successfully updated DEF Files. It is clear to me some of the original Plugins must have been corrupted preventing Def file updates. What caused the problem and how to prevent it from happening again is AA problem. If they can't solve it surely it will be the users problem again. You can count on it.

Hi FredK,

Lavasoft is trying to find the cause and a permanent solution.

I just want so say ****, Lavasoft! Installed the program and the stupid 'security' toolbar, which actualy sends info to NSA. Now I can't even update it. I have 0(ZERO) definitions installed.

'It's New. It's Awesome.
Everybody says so.
'

Except me! ***! I'm going to spread the word everywhere.

Edited by CeciliaB
Words breaking the rules of the forum removed

Hi everyone,

This fix have worked for at least most users, please try it:

Please, go the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0\Plugins, using Windows Explorer or similar program, and delete all files that you are allowed to delete.

Restart the computer, please.

Ad-Aware should now start downloading updates automatically and be able to install them.

If still unsuccessful, please reply here and then follow the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/ to update manually.

Still unsuccessful.

Still unsuccessful.

Hi Bruce,

How many files were left in the Plugins folder after you deleted as much as possible?

Other persons have reported that there are 16 files left.

Did you restart the computer immediately after deleting the files?

Were you able to install the definitions manually?

The manual fix seems to have done the trick for me. It took about a day after I downloaded the plugins but sure enough on this boot up my definitions updated on their own. Manually selecting update within the program now works without error. It may have taken a bit to find a fix to this but at least it works now. Even big companies have tech issues, just look at ebay and their recent password hacking issue :blink:

I also had this problem and found that removal of the file did not work - I deleted it and reset my PC straight away, but found that the Update still didn't work and that the file I had deleted had reappeared :blink:

So I did the Update manually from http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/ and everything is working as usual now.

Thanks for your support :)

So I followed the suggestions above. And now it will udate... Every time it opens. But it still insists that I am still unprotected and will not let me scan. Any suggestions?