Sign in to follow this  
dbarsalano

You can not download definition files.

Question

Dear Cecilia,

I´ve plea, you can not download definition files. The last one was withdrawn on May 15., And since you can not download the file or manually. What to do?

I tried this yesterday and it worked immediately.

It is interesting to note that Malwarebytes stopped working around the same time as the AdAware update issues began.

Since then I have downloaded and run the free version of Spybot Search & Destroy which found around 40 assorted malware and PUP issues which I have removed.

Malwarebytes still will not start even using the, "Chamelian" protected path tool which they provide.

However I was pleased to open AdAware this morning and find that the Definition Files Settings updater worked perfectly
Spybot Search & Destroy seems to run side by side with AdAware without any issues.
I wonder if AdAware condones this?

It is both actually. And ad aware attempts to update every time I open it.

Do you still have the zip file with definitions?

Then you could try to empty the folder again and then paste the definitions.

I tried this yesterday and it worked immediately.

It is interesting to note that Malwarebytes stopped working around the same time as the AdAware update issues began.

Since then I have downloaded and run the free version of Spybot Search & Destroy which found around 40 assorted malware and PUP issues which I have removed.

Malwarebytes still will not start even using the, "Chamelian" protected path tool which they provide.

However I was pleased to open AdAware this morning and find that the Definition Files Settings updater worked perfectly

Spybot Search & Destroy seems to run side by side with AdAware without any issues.

I wonder if AdAware condones this?

I don't think Lavasoft has tested the combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, but if you don't notice any side effects then you can continue to use it :)

So I tried both the manual update and the way to make it try to update itself and it still will not say that it has up to date definitions. And it still will not activate the protection. I may have to uninstall it all together and go with another program until the issue is fixed... And the only other one I get close to liking is AVG.... (and they are on the outs with me for randomly installing crap I don't want... Like their friggen tool bar... (insert very vulgar tirade))

So I tried both the manual update and the way to make it try to update itself and it still will not say that it has up to date definitions. And it still will not activate the protection. I may have to uninstall it all together and go with another program until the issue is fixed... And the only other one I get close to liking is AVG.... (and they are on the outs with me for randomly installing crap I don't want... Like their friggen tool bar... (insert very vulgar tirade))

Have you tried Calon's suggestion?

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/page-2#entry145422

It was worked for me to days ago but today I have same problem again. maybe Adaware 10 better than 11.

When you fix it?

Lavasoft is working on a fix in Ad-Aware 11 and a fix in the servers, but no estimate of when it will be finished.

Ad-Aware 10 has another program code for fetching updates and doesn't suffer of this update issue.

Abbastanza, Voglio indietro i Miei soldi. m'tired di dis antivirus bin., o io aggiornare il Programma, o AGIRE :angry2::angry2:

Please, contact Lavasoft instead of posting in this forum: http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/login?destination=support%2Fsupportcenter%2Fcontact_support

Not sure if any of this will work, it's been downloading for 35 minutes and about 50% done.

I've spent several hours on this twice now. (manually downloaded definitions already but how would you know if really worked?)

I'm wondering why I should be paying for a service that doesn't work and takes so much of my time.

This isn't the first issue I've had dealing with Lavasoft (stopped backing up files online without notifying customers or refunding for the unused service period).

Not too pleased and probably not going to renew without some major changes.

Not sure if any of this will work, it's been downloading for 35 minutes and about 50% done.

I've spent several hours on this twice now. (manually downloaded definitions already but how would you know if really worked?)

I'm wondering why I should be paying for a service that doesn't work and takes so much of my time.

This isn't the first issue I've had dealing with Lavasoft (stopped backing up files online without notifying customers or refunding for the unused service period).

Not too pleased and probably not going to renew without some major changes.

Hi GoldToyBox,

If the fixes in the forum don't help you, please contact the Lavasoft support team: http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/contact_support

So before I came searching here for a fix I had contacted Lavasoft support. The responded to me last night telling me to uninstall Ad Aware antivirus 11 and reinstall with this link http://ow.ly/sQKKE . I am happy to report that the fix has worked and protection is active.

Is there a new issue with the update servers? I was finally able to get it working last week after deleting all the definitions and letting it reload past the corrupted update. This morning however there have been no updates since 05/27/14 08:34:34. Attempting to manually update downloads nothing, just returns after attempting to contact the update servers. This is unusual since there usually would have been at least two updates by now. Is there an issue, or have there just been no updates? I'm just a little concerned after last weeks' problems since I doubt the hacker community have gone on holiday.

Well, I have 3computers running Ad Aware, 1 paid subscription and 2 free. I have the latest version, according to Lavasoft, 11.1.5345.0. Yesterday I manually updated all of the machines and everything seemed to be working fine. Today I have used 2 of the computers updated yesterday and have the same problem as before the manual upgrades yesterday. Both display the definitions are out of date and will not update the definitions. I have no other anti-virus software on any of the computers, i have Windows XP SP3 on all the computers.

I hope Lavasoft isn't finally going to tell us they will no longer support XP and we will have to buy new OS's in order to use their product. Even though MS has discontinued support for XP it isn't going into the night quickly and will be around on a lot of machines for quite a while. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and so far can't say I am impressed.

Just hoping they get a fix soon, and quit worrying about how Version 12 should look.

It just finally updated to 05/27/14 13:21:17 so I guess it's OK now. Given the recent issues it would be nice in the next release to have a more meaningful status as to exactly what it's trying to do, e.g. if it has contact with the server, querying updates, latest update definitions version found, etc. Now it only shows a diagnostic if it downloads or tries to apply something. More status info would also be helpful to support in diagnosing problems. Also please fix the automatic scan so it checks for new definitions before initiating a scan (Microsoft Windows Defender has done this properly for years).

Is there a new issue with the update servers? I was finally able to get it working last week after deleting all the definitions and letting it reload past the corrupted update. This morning however there have been no updates since 05/27/14 08:34:34. Attempting to manually update downloads nothing, just returns after attempting to contact the update servers. This is unusual since there usually would have been at least two updates by now. Is there an issue, or have there just been no updates? I'm just a little concerned after last weeks' problems since I doubt the hacker community have gone on holiday.

Hi jwadams84,

That seems to be the latest update at that time.

It just finally updated to 05/27/14 13:21:17 so I guess it's OK now. Given the recent issues it would be nice in the next release to have a more meaningful status as to exactly what it's trying to do, e.g. if it has contact with the server, querying updates, latest update definitions version found, etc. Now it only shows a diagnostic if it downloads or tries to apply something. More status info would also be helpful to support in diagnosing problems. Also please fix the automatic scan so it checks for new definitions before initiating a scan (Microsoft Windows Defender has done this properly for years).

Please, add suggestions to http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33637-suggestions-ideas-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-in-ad-aware-11-or-12/ since that topic is monitored by Lavasoft staff.

Well, I have 3computers running Ad Aware, 1 paid subscription and 2 free. I have the latest version, according to Lavasoft, 11.1.5345.0. Yesterday I manually updated all of the machines and everything seemed to be working fine. Today I have used 2 of the computers updated yesterday and have the same problem as before the manual upgrades yesterday. Both display the definitions are out of date and will not update the definitions. I have no other anti-virus software on any of the computers, i have Windows XP SP3 on all the computers.

I hope Lavasoft isn't finally going to tell us they will no longer support XP and we will have to buy new OS's in order to use their product. Even though MS has discontinued support for XP it isn't going into the night quickly and will be around on a lot of machines for quite a while. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and so far can't say I am impressed.

Just hoping they get a fix soon, and quit worrying about how Version 12 should look.

Hi oldtiger64,

Sometimes the update issue reappears. You can try Dorman1986's suggestion in post #64 since it's from Lavasoft support team.

XP is still supported by Lavasoft.

I have been having the same problem downloading and installing updated definitions. I manually downloaded last week and again this week the problem continues. Went back to manually download and they are the same as last week's definitions. Is this being worked on?

Regards,

panos

I have been having the same problem downloading and installing updated definitions. I manually downloaded last week and again this week the problem continues. Went back to manually download and they are the same as last week's definitions. Is this being worked on?

Regards,

panos

Hi panos,

There are a number of fixes (workarounds) described in the forum, see e.g. the post marked in green at the top of the page. Lavasoft is working on a permanent solution to be included in the next version of Ad-Aware.

I'm having the same definitions file update problem, I tried to delete the files in the plugins folder as described in the first post. I wasn't able to delete any of the files at all. I get this error message for every single file in the plugins folder:

File Access Denied

You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this file.

What do I do now?

Edited by relaprell

Try left clicking on the file(s) then right click on "Run as administrator'. That should fix your problem.

I'm having the same definitions file update problem, I tried to delete the files in the plugins folder as described in the first post. I wasn't able to delete any of the files at all. I get this error message for every single file in the plugins folder:

What do I do now?

Hi relaprell,

Another possibility is to uninstall Ad-Aware and make sure that you select to delete everything when the uninstall program asks you. Restart the computer and then install Ad-Aware again.

Link to installation program: http://ow.ly/sQKKE

The official solution from Lavasoft is to uninstall Ad-Aware, and select to delete everything during the uninstallation, restart the computer and then install Ad-Aware again.

An official apology from Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33939-message-from-richard-martineau-product-owner-and-coordinator-at-lavasoft/

The official solution from Lavasoft is to uninstall Ad-Aware, and select to delete everything during the uninstallation, restart the computer and then install Ad-Aware again.

An official apology from Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33939-message-from-richard-martineau-product-owner-and-coordinator-at-lavasoft/

Hi,

It worked one time, then same problem occurred again.

I just installed the latest version hoping for the problem to disappear, but it didn't. Uninstalling the program solves the issue for a moment, but then again can't update after that. I can understand everything, but I don't have the time and patience to reinstall 3 times a week just to make sure my definitions are up to date.

I know they working hard to fix that, just I thought I'll give this information to see, if only my issue or others experiencing as well.

Edit: Just randomly hit the button to update definition files, and it worked, I'm so happy. After many days everything goes back to normal. Probably the update server was restarted as well, anyway the changes really worked, and that's what it matters:)

Best regards,

Lehel

Edited by l3h3l

Just installed the new build Ad-Aware Pro Security

Version 11.2.5952.0 when prompted by the pop up screen.
Everything works. I can even delete the old Reports! Hallelujah!!!
Don't know if this applies to the free versions but roll it out and post the link to the new build everywhere please Ad-Aware :-)

Hi,

It worked one time, then same problem occurred again.

I just installed the latest version hoping for the problem to disappear, but it didn't. Uninstalling the program solves the issue for a moment, but then again can't update after that. I can understand everything, but I don't have the time and patience to reinstall 3 times a week just to make sure my definitions are up to date.

I know they working hard to fix that, just I thought I'll give this information to see, if only my issue or others experiencing as well.

Best regards,

Lehel