• 0
Sign in to follow this  
CeciliaB

Manual update of definitions

Question

New information:

The official solution from Lavasoft is to uninstall Ad-Aware, and select to delete everything during the uninstallation, restart the computer and then install Ad-Aware again.

Link to installation program: http://ow.ly/sQKKE

 

An official apology from Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33939-message-from-richard-martineau-product-owner-and-coordinator-at-lavasoft/

 

 

 

Old information:

Please, note that the current update issue (second half of May) might be solved by following the instructions in the http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33921-you-can-not-download-definition-files/page-2?p=145367#entry145367 post.

The attached files contain the definitions from 23rd of May.

If you have Windows XP or other 32 bits Windows, please download 32 bits Plugins0523.zip.
If you have 64 bits Windows, please download 64 bits Plugins0523.zip.
Note that the files are big and will take long time to download if your internet connection is slow.

Save the zip file on the desktop or in another folder where you can find it.
Right-click the zip file and select Extract all.

A folder called 32 bits Plugins0523 or 64 bits Plugins0523 will be created and opened.
Please, select all files and copy them.

Find the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0\Plugins, using Windows Explorer or similar program.
If your Windows is in another language than English the Program Files folder probably is called something else.

Right-click the Plugins folder and select Paste.
When Windows asks what to do with the files, since they already exist in the folder, please select to replace the files.

When done, please restart the computer.

If still unsuccessful, please see the instruction by Calon: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33926-manual-update-of-definitions/page-2#entry145422

32 bits Plugins0526.zip

64 bits Plugins0526.zip

Edited by CeciliaB
Added official solution and apology
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I went to start typed msconfig selected selective startup and only load system services.

Then restarted and was able to delete all the files in de plugin directory.

Set the settings in msconfig back to normal startup, rebooted and let ad aware get the update.

And now Ad Aware works fine again.

Hi losthart,

 

Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I went to start typed msconfig selected selective startup and only load system services.

Then restarted and was able to delete all the files in de plugin directory.

Set the settings in msconfig back to normal startup, rebooted and let ad aware get the update.

And now Ad Aware works fine again.

Thanks losthart,

 

I also tried this solution. I had been doing the manual update over the past couple of weeks, only to find it to be a temporary solution. Using msconfig, disabled the Ad-aware startup service, reboot, delete all files in the plugin directory, re-enable Ad Aware startup service, reboot, and let Ad-Aware update definition files.

 

Noticed that doing it this way, when I tell Ad-Aware to update the files, it finds and installs them. Have rebooted twice and told Ad-Aware to update and still worked. Using the manual update, I would tell Ad-Aware to find updates and nothing. Will see what the next few days reveal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Please, someboody tell the Lavasoft staff, that in the spanish version there is a message saying "Ud. no es protectado" (You are not protected), but that words means nothing in spanish! The correct frase is "Ud. no está protegido".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Please, someboody tell the Lavasoft staff, that in the spanish version there is a message saying "Ud. no es protectado" (You are not protected), but that words means nothing in spanish! The correct frase is "Ud. no está protegido".

Thanks, maurus, I'll forward it to my contact person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks losthart,

 

I also tried this solution. I had been doing the manual update over the past couple of weeks, only to find it to be a temporary solution. Using msconfig, disabled the Ad-aware startup service, reboot, delete all files in the plugin directory, re-enable Ad Aware startup service, reboot, and let Ad-Aware update definition files.

 

Noticed that doing it this way, when I tell Ad-Aware to update the files, it finds and installs them. Have rebooted twice and told Ad-Aware to update and still worked. Using the manual update, I would tell Ad-Aware to find updates and nothing. Will see what the next few days reveal.

 

 

This is exactly what I did as well. It is working so far.

 

From what I could tell, I could not delete some cache files in the Plugins folder that were still in use by the program.

Disabling the program as it was explained above allowed me to delete all the cache files.

That has allowed AdAware to rewrite what it's needed to in order to access the online definitions again.

 

Thanks again to losthart for the suggestion.

(I will edit this post if the updates have stopped performing again, but so far it's been about 24 hours and no problems accessing online database now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Edited first post with official solution and apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this