Sign in to follow this  
John M65

AdAware does not show up in Progrms & Features

Question

Hi Cecilia, I have an interesting issue. I re-installed Ad-Aware into our desktop because of (guess) definitions files, I should have check with the forum but normally it is a re-install. Well from there things went downhill, I use REVO Uninstaller Pro. It will invoke the Ad-Aware installer and then clean the files that are leftover. When I reinstalled Ad-Aware the definitions did not download. When I went to uninstall I could not find Ad-Aware in the program and features or REVO. So I manually did the uninstall. Using tools that removed all remnants of Ad-Aware I think. I was able to install Ad-Aware but ran into the same problem with definitions! I used the manual workaround and they came down fine.

The problem I have now is the Protections will not activate. I have reported the issue to Support actually 2 different issues. I look through the threads but did not see anything that jumped out. It is interesting that windows reports that I need an anti-virus program. What will be more interesting is when I need to re-install.

John

post-72264-0-31913200-1400793877.png

post-72264-0-07757600-1400793963.png

14 answers to this question

Hi John,

Does anything happen when you try to change Real-Time Protection to ON?

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issues.

Hi Cecilia, Had a few things going and forgot about the post.

I could not change the real-Time Protection to on.

Followed the instructions for collecting information. I could find Msi files in temp directory.

I reinstalled and got the same results.

What I forgot to say is that when I try to re-install. AdAware informs me that I have the latest version. Since it does niot appear in 'Programs and Files' or Revo-unstaller. I use RCrawler to remove the keys (lavasoft and adaware). I delete all files manually with explorer. Then I can re-install.

John

sysinfo.zip

Ad-Aware 11.zip

Edited by John M65

Hi John,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Is Ad-Aware visible now in 'Programs and Files'?

If it is, please uninstall it, restart the computer and install Ad-Aware again. It's possible that left-overs from the old installation disturbed the installation or work of Ad-Aware.

If not, Lavasoft can give you a script to make Ad-Aware visible in 'Programs and Files'.

Ad-Aware is not visible in 'Program & Features' which is why i had to delete it manually. Why is Ad-Aware not visible in P & F? How can I get a script from Lavasoft? Do I just request script in Lavasoft Support?

John

I wasn't sure if it was in 'Program & Features' after you had installed it again.

I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft for a script.

Hi again,

Please, start with removing drivers that belongs to Ad-Aware 10.
Start menu - All programs - Accessories
Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Enter the following commands:
sc stop gfibto
sc delete gfibto
sc delete gfiark

If you get an error message, please don't do anything more and write the message in your reply.

Restart the computer.

Please, download the attached file.
Right-click it and select Extract all.
Select to extract it to the C:\ folder.

Start menu - All programs - Accessories
Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Enter the following commands:
C:
cd \
msiexec /I AdAwareUpdater_x64_11.1.5354.0.msi

If you get an error message, please write it in your reply.

Check if Ad-Aware can be uninstalled.
After uninstallation, please reboot the computer before installing Ad-Aware again.

AdAwareUpdater_x64_11.1.5354.0.msi.zip

Cecilia I followed the procedures and durning the reinstall I was presented with the message, 'AdAWare already instlled'! I have attached the MSI log and the command prompt information.

I also received an email asking me to call for assistance:

[Request ID :##244761##] : Support - Ad-Aware11 Personal/Pro/Total Security - John Messano

MSI1e899-adaware.LOG

post-72264-0-37639300-1401401146_thumb.png

Good that the drivers of Ad-Aware 10 were deleted.

Did you remember to reboot the computer between the uninstallation and the installation?

Didn't the installation create an MSI file?

Please, upload a new system information file to let us see which Ad-Aware files that are running.

I tried to reinstall and ran into the same issues, AdAware already installed. I had received an e-mail from support where I reported the problem on 5/22 they suggested I call the telephone support. For grins I called explained the issue. he downloaded a MS program and it scanned the system. a few changes were made (he did not click the identify before change. Well it removed some stuff. I rebooted and installed AdAware Pro! Well this time it worked with some exceptions. The only feature that is on is 'real time protetion'. I have included all the info as requested.

MSI641c3.zip

sysinfo.zip

Ad-Aware 11.zip

post-72264-0-35162200-1401415323_thumb.png

Have fun J

Do you get a message when you try to turn the features on?

Have you restarted the computer after the installation?

Will you continue to contact Lavasoft support?

I don't want that two LS employees work with your computer.

If you prefer to work with the QA team instead of the support team, the QA team asks if you allow them to connect to your computer to try to solve it. You'll see everything they do, and you'll be able to stop them and communicate with them. If you accept it, please send me your email address in a PM. Lavasoft will respond in another PM and later on send you a file by email.

The QA team is available office hours in European time zone and that's in the morning for you.

Cecilia, I do not get a message when I try to turn the features on it looks like the picture in my previous post, the buttons are greyed out.. I did restart the computer after installation. I contacted Lavasoft support on 5/22; they responded yesterday 5/29! I was asked to contact their “One of their highly skilled technicians (Peter)”. Peter connected to my machine downloaded a tool and it scanned my system. Of course Peter clicked the option to fix automatically so I did not see what was corrected. He ran the tool twice and both times he ignored my request to log the modifications. Whatever the fix was allowed me to install Ad-Aware i am not sure what it was. However, the same problem exists; I cannot turn on the additional features. Peter then tried to sell me services which would speed up my computer and remove the errors being reported in the MS Logs.

I will not deal with those clowns that Lavasoft pushes on you. Yes, it may be faster but I just don‘t trust their recommendations.

I want to continue with your team, yes it may take longer but I have seen the results of your work and I trust you.

John

John, that must have been one of the companies that some support is outsourced to.

Please, send me your email address in a PM and hopefully my contact person can connect to you soon.

Cecilia I want to thank you and Ann for your help in correcting my issue. You all have a new Champion

post-72264-0-12970000-1401475348.png

post-72264-0-12970000-1401475348.png

Please see that Ann receives hers.

John

Thank you for the beautiful roses, John! :blush:

I'm glad your issue has been solved :)

I'll inform Ann on Monday.