Sign in to follow this  
WGel44

Virus definitions not updating?

Question

I have Ad-Aware Anti-virus free edition Version 11.2. It didn't update any new virus definitions on June 15, though I was online for a couple of hours. Today, June 16, I've been online for over an hour but still no updates. My Ad-Aware screen says "Protection Active" in blue. Is my Ad-Aware failing to update daily? Is anyone else experiencing this problem (if it is a problem)? Please advise.

7 answers to this question

Hi WGel44,

No known issues with the update server during the weekend or today.

1. What happens when you click on the blue "Check for updates"?

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/how-to-update-definitions

2. Please, check that no proxy server is used:

Start Internet Explorer.

In the Tools menu select Internet options, followed by Connection tab and then click the LAN Settings button.

If the check box Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) is selected, please:

a. Write down the content of the Address and Port fields, if the Address field is empty click on Advanced and write down the addresses and ports there. These values indicate if the computer is or was infected.

b. Remove the check mark before clicking OK twice.

Try to update Ad-Aware again.

3. Did you install, uninstall or update another program before this update issue started?

Some programs can interfere with or block the update procedure.

Thank you for your reply, CeciliaB.

1. I clicked "Check for updates" three times. On the third try, it updated successfully. I wasn't aware of this manual option. Thanx! But there's still something wrong if the automatic updates keeps failing. It's set for "check every 1 hour".

2. No proxy server. In IE "Use proxy server for LAN" was not checked.

3. No other programs were installed or uninstalled before the issue started. I ran SuperAntiSpyware scan after the issue started; it found nothing. I downloaded MalwareBytes AntiMalware 2.0 yesterday and ran a scan; also found nothing.

I frequently get the hideous "Page not found - Problem loading server" message when browsing, and occasionally pages do not format properly. My wife has experienced the same problem but to a much lesser extent. I have Windows XP, SP3, HP netbook 5 years old; she has Windows 7 and a stronger faster processor on a better laptop. I've read that this could be a DNS server attack on our ISP provider, but it's happening a lot lately. We share the same home wifi network.

I switched to Ad-Aware from AVG around April after an AVG update crashed my computer and prevented start-up. I uninstalled AVG and eliminated AVG traces as much as possible before installing Ad-Aware. I prefer Ad-Aware and would like to keep using it, but I have a feeling there's something wrong with my computer or with its interaction with antivirus programs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, WGel44 :)

1. If you didn't run AVG Remover when you uninstalled AVG, please do so:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

2. It's possible that you and your wife has a setting pointing to a bad DNS, either in the computers or in the router/gateway.

This is how to check DNS setting in a computer:

Start button - All programs - Accessories - Command Prompt

Enter this command: ipconfig /all

Find "DNS" and write down its IP address(es).

If that IP address is the same as the IP address after Default Gateway, you have to check your router/gateway by going to its settings pages in the browser.

1. I downloaded and ran the AVG Remover following your suggestion. Thanks. I hope it helps.

2. My IP address does differ from the "Default Gateway". The Default Gateway number is identical to the "DNS Servers" number. Ditto for wife's computer. Her computer has an internet security suite which maybe partially thwarts sporadic DNS server attacks, so she gets "Page not found" much less than me? Or else my computer has a configuration issue, or the wi-fi home network does? I once saw her security program flash a message "Your DNS server is under attack". Today and last night I was not getting the hideous "Page not found" message. Maybe removing AVG traces did help!

Today June 18 Ad-Aware definitions updated automatically after my computer was turned on for about an hour. (Maybe removing AVG remnants did help...Thank you)

I upgraded Firefox from 29 to version 30 a few days ago. Don't know if that makes any difference. I have two add-ons, the Classic Themes Restorer and the gizmo to make type slightly larger.

I'll keep tabs on the situation hoping the automatic update issue is resolved. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome, WGel44 :)

I think you should try to log in to your gateway by entering the IP address of the Default Gateway in Firefox (or other browser), and try to find its settings for DNS.

The DNS server website says "A user name and password are requested. The site says 'WebAdmin'."

I have a password to enter, but I'm not aware of any user name. I tried entering the name of our home wi-fi network but that didn't work.

The "Page not found - Problem loading server" problem came back again this morning with a vengeance on both computers, shortly after I manually uploaded the new virus definitions. (Automatic uploading worked fine through June 19, but I got impatient). Since the "Page not found" demon occurs on wife's computer and she has a different internet security suite, I don't think the updating of Ad-Aware is causing the problem. It seems like some kind of intermittent attack which occurs every 2-3 days. Maybe I should call the ISP company and ask them to give us a new router or reset this one?

You can try with "WebAdmin" as user name.

I think it's a good idea to contact your ISP company.