Sign in to follow this  
the_fun_cpl

Ad Aware 11 Install failure - WaitForTransactionOwnerChanged failed

Question

Hi:

I am trying to install Ad Aware 11 Free version on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with Service Pack 1. The installation is failing with an error pop-up - WaitForTransactionOwnerChanged failed. Result=258

I tried to install using the stand alone installer and get the same error. How do I resolve this error so that I can get the software installed? I want to run a full scan and most likely upgrade to the pro version to keep the laptop protected.

Regards,

Karthik

6 answers to this question

Hi Karthik,

That error message means that another installation using Windows MSI is ongoing, at lease Windows believes that. It can be another program installation or Windows Update. Are you aware of another installation or has Windows the wrong information?

Please, restart the computer and check if it's possible to install Ad-Aware. If you still can't do it, please ask for the way to circumvent the issue and give us your Windows version, including 32 or 64 bits.

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Restarted my computer, ran a full anti-virus scan (MSE), lastes Windows updates, tried running the installer as Administrator, but still this message pops up.
Could it be that my computer is already infected somehow? MSE does not detect any virus/spyware.
I'm on Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by Stilongs

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Restarted my computer, ran a full anti-virus scan (MSE), lastes Windows updates, tried running the installer as Administrator, but still this message pops up.

Could it be that my computer is already infected somehow? MSE does not detect any virus/spyware.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit

Hi Stilongs,

As I understood it, it has nothing to do with infections.

This is Lavasoft's work-around for Windows Vista, 7 and 8, 64 bit versions. If you're sure that no other installations nor Windows Update is running, and your internet connection isn't used by other programs:

1. Save AdAwareUpdater_x64_11.2.5952.0.msi.zip on your computer. Unpack it by right-clicking it and selecting Extract All. You'll get AdAwareUpdater_x64_11.2.5952.0.msi.

2. Install this unpacked file by double-clicking it and following prompts.

3. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus Updater\11.2.5952.0 and start AdAwareUpdater.exe.

If Ad-Aware Antivirus Updater starts without any errors, continue program installation.

If you get errors again, continue with the steps below:

4. Save dependency_walker_x64.zip on your computer.

5. Unpack the file to get a folder with three files. Open the folder.

6. In that folder start the depends.exe program by right-clicking it and select Run as Administrator.

7. In the Depends program select File menu -> Open. Locate AdAwareUpdater.exe in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus Updater\11.2.5952.0 folder and open it.

8. If you get any errors and a yellow question mark next to msvcp100.dll and/or msvcr100.dll, it means that the necessary dll files are missing or corrupt. You need to install Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package. You can fetch it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Change the language if necessary. Install the package.

9. Download vc100_crt_x64.zip and unpack the files.

10. Copy both dll files.

11. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and paste them there.

12. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus Updater\11.2.5952.0.

13. Locate AdAwareUpdater.exe and start it to install the Ad-Aware program.

Could you install Ad-Aware after step 3 or 13, or maybe not at all?

AdAwareUpdater_x64_11.2.5952.0.msi.zip

dependency_walker_x64.zip

vc100_crt_x64.zip

Hello Lavasoft team.

I'm having the same issue on my Windows XP Professional 32bit.

I've just formatted my laptop and at the moment I have installed only the browser (SeaMonkey). Downloaded the latest version (11.5.202.7299) of the free antivirus (that redirect to html.it for the download) I've obtain the above mentioned error. I've tried also some old version until the 11.0.4395.0 version but nothing has changed.

So, I have followed your 13 steps. I have downloaded dependency_walker_x86 and, inside, I have opened the .exe file of the installer (because I don't have the .exe of the software installed) and the result is this:

http://refusi.altervista.org/disp/depencywalker.png

(the text alongside the MSJAVA.DLL tells "Error opening file. Impossible to find the specified file (2).")

I haven't already installed Java, so I've installed it (Java7) but the red error on MSJAVA.DLL still remains. Then I've re-launched the installer of Lavasoft (of course switching off the Windows Update and the Windows Firewall) but nothing to do: the error still appear.

With the version 11.4.6792.0, instead, the progress bar stops at "Installing updater" for hours notwithstanding the process is active:
http://refusi.altervista.org/disp/installertask.png

How can I fix?

Thanks.
Greetings,
Mattia from Italy.

Hi Mattia,

Didn't you read this sentence in post #4?

This is Lavasoft's work-around for Windows Vista, 7 and 8, 64 bit versions.

I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft what to do with Windows XP.

Hello Lavasoft team.

I'm having the same issue on my Windows XP Professional 32bit.

I've just formatted my laptop and at the moment I have installed only the browser (SeaMonkey). Downloaded the latest version (11.5.202.7299) of the free antivirus (that redirect to html.it for the download) I've obtain the above mentioned error. I've tried also some old version until the 11.0.4395.0 version but nothing has changed.

So, I have followed your 13 steps. I have downloaded dependency_walker_x86 and, inside, I have opened the .exe file of the installer (because I don't have the .exe of the software installed) and the result is this:

http://refusi.altervista.org/disp/depencywalker.png

(the text alongside the MSJAVA.DLL tells "Error opening file. Impossible to find the specified file (2).")

I haven't already installed Java, so I've installed it (Java7) but the red error on MSJAVA.DLL still remains. Then I've re-launched the installer of Lavasoft (of course switching off the Windows Update and the Windows Firewall) but nothing to do: the error still appear.

With the version 11.4.6792.0, instead, the progress bar stops at "Installing updater" for hours notwithstanding the process is active:

http://refusi.altervista.org/disp/installertask.png

How can I fix?

Thanks.

Greetings,

Mattia from Italy.

Hi again,

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/to let Lavasoft investigate your problem.