Sign in to follow this  
batlewae

What about Ad-Aware security toolbar

Question

11 answers to this question

At the moment we are not stopping the toolbar; however we've developed Web Companion to provide our users with even better security as well as offering features such as being able to set your search with just one click and ad-blocking which is coming very soon!

Eventually the toolbar will be phased out but we do not have a time frame at the moment.

Is it possible to combine both the Toolbar and the WebCompanion ?

I ask this because I like to have a per-site security information - meaning the green check mark that the toolbar displays on safe websites.

EDIT:

Also, how does Web Companion intercept the traffic ? Does it work like a proxy or something ?

Edited by batlewae

You can have both applications installed on your PC. If you have Ad-Aware Toolbar already installed on your PC, during Ad-Aware Web Companion installation, please choose 'Keep my current settings' options in Browser Homepage and Default Search engine drop-down menus:

post-105552-0-11610200-1412786760_thumb.png

Please use this link to install Ad-Aware Web Comapnion - http://webcompanion.com/download

As for your 2nd question, Ad-Aware Web Companion proactively protects you against malicious websites using Lavasoft Malware URL Blocker technology

Hi,

The page you pointed to doesn't mention any proxies, yet Ad-Aware seems to be using one, and breaking some encripted pages. See attached image.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see that the problem is not with Web Companion but the site it self. - The certificate is not valid for the website's domain. the Website is https://www.dges.mctes.pt and not https://www.dges.mec.pt

In any case, is it absolutely necessary to break end-to-end encryption?

post-106867-0-48644700-1412878557_thumb.jpg

Edited by batlewae

Thanks for your feedback! Please note that we are not a proxy, and we intercept web requests in a stack beneath the web browser. As for the website with certificate issue, we will contact our devel team and get back to you once we hear from them.

It turns out hat the certificate issue is a problem with the site, and not web companion.

I have recently reinstalled ad-aware, and this time instead of being offered web companion, I was offered to install the ad-aware tool bar. Why did you pulled back on offering web companion for installation?

Like we have initially mentioned, we have not stopped Ad-Aware Toolbar. Both programs have a similar feature – web protection from bad URLs, that’s why we do not offer them at the same time, but alternately. And now it's Ad-Aware Toolbar turn. =) But you can still download and install Ad-aware Web Companion from here - http://webcompanion.com

I'm referring to the local/host/loopback proxy and not LAN or WAN proxy servers. Here are three entries (edited for clarity) copied from my TCP/IP monitor showing the listeining state of LavasoftTcpService wherein IE works in 127.0.0.1 to render content, it is the service that is in actual communication.

PROCESS REMOTE PORT LOCAL PORT STATE
LavasoftTcpService.exe 0.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 12344 Listening
IEXPLORE.EXE 127.0.0.1 12344 127.0.0.1 54893 Established
LavasoftTcpService.exe 185.29.133.223 80 192.168.0.7 54836 Established