Sign in to follow this  
MyBrotherSteve

Ad-Aware 11 is scans folders and quarantines files in exclusions list

Question

Good morning,

So far Ad-Aware Free Antivirus 11+ (currently on version 11.3.6321.0) has been doing a good job, is lighter on system resources than AVG 2015, and starts in a relatively short time on system start. This is running on a pretty standard Dell PC tower, with a Core2 Duo, 6 gigs of ram, Windows 7 Pro w/ SP1 (fully updated and patched), a pretty run-of-the-mill selection of apps, and very few things loading on start-up, save for Ad-Aware, print monitor utility, and USB 3.0 add-in card drivers and monitor.

The one big problem I seem to be having is with folders in my Exclusions list being scanned, and files in those folders being put into Quarantine. I have an external hard drive with some testing work on it. Some of those files raise red flags with A-V scanners, so I initially added the entire drive letter to the Manage Exclusions section. It is still there if I go back and look, so that seems okay. Every time I plug in the external drive, Ad-Aware starts identifying and moving files on that drive into Quarantine, so I have to go into Quarantine and Restore them all. I thought that perhaps Ad-Aware doesn't do so well with a whole drive letter (I've seen a couple other A-V programs where you couldn't add just a drive letter, only folders), so I went to the Manage Exclusions list and added each folder on the root of the drive. I figure that it would automatically include any sub-folders in that directory, since there is no selectable option one way or the other, and it would obviously be a huge pain if you had to add (potentially) dozens or hundreds of folders manually, depending on how much content you wanted to exclude. The results are the same: every time I plug in this external drive, Ad-Aware still quarantines files from those excluded folders.

Am I still missing some setting somewhere or setting it up incorrectly, or is this a bug in the program?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

post-107037-0-78874500-1412873336_thumb.jpg

p.s. Apologies for the grammatical error in the title - apparently the title cannot be edited...

Edited by MyBrotherSteve

1 answer to this question

Hi Steve,

You seems to do the correct settings. Are you sure that your external hard drive gets the same drive letter (W:) every time?

Sometimes Windows assigns another drive letter to the same device.

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issue.