Sign in to follow this  
John M65

Ad-Aware Licensing problem

Question

Where do I start? I have been using Ad-Aware since probably 2004/5 (the free versions). I believe when version 8 or 9 came out I started licensing the full version, two licenses one desktop and one laptop. I was a beta tester for version 11 and when testing was complete I installed the production version on my laptop and desktop. Both licenses were scheduled to expire 2017-06-23.

Fast forward to April this year my laptop hard drive went to the hard drive graveyard. So I had to rebuild; fortunately, we have Carbonite for our backup so getting back to normal took a few days (longer to get the games back.) The first thing I did was to reinstall Ad-Aware and activate with our key. All appeared to be working correctly.

About June 8, 2015 I start receiving a message that Ad-aware was going to expire in 25 days…???? :angry2: What! Refer to expire date above! I checked the App section and sure enough was going to the end of June! I checked the desktop and the expiration date was correct, 2017. I checked Ad-Adware’s online licenses and I was amazed that my current license was not shown. Now I was really confused. As an aside the licensing section defies logic!

I sent an e-mail to support inquiring about this issue. They responded with a statement that I only have one license expiring in 2017 and asked for an order number. I search but could not find one. The support staff responded with a list of license keys with expiration dates that I have received.

BUT the license I was using was not among them! When I ask why in 2 emails I did not receive a response. They finally indicated that they have not record of my key (s) they found another one. They sent me an email with a telephone number to call for support, I thought it was Ad-Aware support, was that a mistake.

When I called the 888 number the hustler, OOPS, I mean technician would not address my issue of license expiration. I let him into my system, first mistake, he told me that I had outdated drivers, my system was running slow, and I had too many applications running, this from looking at my desktop. Then he proceeded to tell me I had malware and viruses on my machine. I wonder what Ad-Aware is doing? He then proceeded to tell me that csrss.exe was malware and should be removed. I took most of what he said and put it in my garden! He offered free one year assistance/monitoring/for my laptop to fix any issues that may occur. The only good thing, if you call it that, was my license was extended until August 2015! WOW I am impressed. :huh:

The question is, Ad-Aware is wants me to provide proof of my license! However, they cannot determine why they have no records of a license key that I received from them. Awkward! I think they should get their house in order before attacking one of their long term customers.

I have had respect for Ad-Aware in the past, but when they contract out to a slime bag help desk company which only wants to sell you junk my respect declines significantly.

4 answers to this question

Hi John,

I'll inform my contact person in the support team.

Sorry, I can't do anything here with licenses.

Hi again,

Have Lavasoft been able to reach you yet?

I know they were going to.

Hi Cecilia, I got off the phone with Victor G. and he corrected the issue. I told his that I did not know how I received the Key for the desktop and laptop. Victor provided a key for the laptop which expires in 2017. Now both machines are in sync. I also provided the name of the tech support person who I talk with Monday night. Many thanks for the quick support. All is well! :D

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

You're welcome :)

I'm glad that it's been resolved.