Sign in to follow this  
katefields

Web Companion mysteriously appears, tray program won't uninstall

Question

Somehow, when updating another program, Web Companion got installed on my PC. My husband is sure he opted out of every add-on offer he could during the installation process, and yet here it is.

It rendered Firefox just about unusable. In Firefox settings, I couldn't access the "Search" settings tab (I clicked it and it did nothing).
It kept redirecting to Bing everytime I opened a tab, I couldn't search from any search or address bar, right-clicking brought up this menu that was so monstrously long it couldn't fit on the screen, and my computer slowed to a crawl every time I tried to do anything online.

I tried to uninstall it using the Control Panel. Everything seemed okay, but it still runs in the system tray. I went back into the Control Panel, and it's not in the list of installed programs. I set it so that it won't run at start-up, but just the fact that such a pernicious piece of sneak-ware is lurking in my computer is not comforting, and I want it OUT, completely.

I wasn't able to find much help online (using another computer, since this one was practically unusable). I did a system restore, but my earliest restore point still had WC on my computer. All I found was that I had to manually delete every shred of the program by going into the registry and searching over and over again for "lavasoft" and deleting the entries. I got about 1/3 of the way through the registry and had had about enough of that. I restarted and things seem to be back to normal, and yet, it still shows up in the system tray.

What gives, Lavasoft? Any advice on how to get this completely out of our computers?

Edited by katefields

1 answer to this question

Hi Kate,

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience that you are experiencing with this issue. I will address each concern individually in order to ensure I understand everything correctly (and also explain what may have happened).

1. Installed without consent: This is something we do not tolerate. We never force our software on users and ensure our distribution partners do not either. Can you give me more information (in this thread or in private) as to which software was updated that your husband opted-out of other add-ons? We would like to investigate this further (to avoid anyone else experiencing this).

2. Firefox being unusable: We noticed this issue as well and are pushing out a fix for this today. There appears to be some conflict with the latest version of Firefox 39 that causes this Search bug to happen. Our team tested it thoroughly and is confident it will be resolved with this latest update.

3. Can't Uninstall: Normally, uninstalling from the Control Panel will remove all traces of Web Companion from your machine. However, occasionally there appears to be some issues with uninstallation. We suspect there may be another program that is installed and running on the pc which unintentionally prevents Web Companion from completing its process. Because we don't know all the software installed on each of our users' machines, it is next to impossible for us to know exactly which program is causing it. I would have recommended a system restore but you appear to have already tried this. The next step would be to contact our customer support directly so that a tech agent can assist you more directly with complete removal of Web Companion. You can do this by sending an email to [email protected]

Again, please accept our apologies for this inconvenience and we appreciate your assistance in helping us resolve this matter.

Thanks!

Sophie