Sign in to follow this  
Servalan

Firewall Components

Question

When Ad-Aware Pro Security is installed what are the firewall components/drivers that I should check for to make sure the firewall is working properly? The reason I ask is that I am having a bit of issue with Ad-Aware Pro Security firewall when I use the grc.com ShieldsUP! test, in particular the FileSharing test. When I looked through the questions in this forum I found questions about the firewall components and drivers, and I thought that that was a question to ask! :-)

6 answers to this question

Hi Servalan,

Please, check the firewall rules.

As far as i know, Ad-Aware will complain if not all components/drivers are running.

-what are the firewall components/drivers that I should check for to make sure the firewall is working properly?

-a bit of issue with Ad-Aware Pro Security firewall when I use the grc.com ShieldsUP! test, in particular the FileSharing test.

Libraries:

bdfwcore.dll

BdFirewallSDK.dll

Drivers:

bdfndisf6.sys

bdfwfpf.sys

Those are Bitdefender components and application firewalls don't get much better than that.

It goes without saying,"a bit of issue" is extremely vague, but ShieldsUP! File Sharing checks for NetBIOS ports which are of use only in the LAN for file sharing (back in the 90's) and should be blocked on the WAN by default on any router's firewall built in the last decade. If those are open on the router, even if denied for your file sharing application or service in Pro's firewall, you'll still fail ShieldsUP! - if that's the bit of an issue you're having. If those router ports are open for some server you're hosting, you should pay meticulous attention to your NAT and port routing/forwarding and share point permissions.

Cheers.

Edited by dallas7
  • Like 1

Hi Servalan,

Please, check the firewall rules.

As far as i know, Ad-Aware will complain if not all components/drivers are running.

Thanks for your reply!!

Good to know that Ad-Aware Pro Security will know if some of the drivers are not running.

So far I haven't had Ad-Aware complain.

Servalan

Servalan

Libraries:

bdfwcore.dll

BdFirewallSDK.dll

Drivers:

bdfndisf6.sys

bdfwfpf.sys

Those are Bitdefender components and application firewalls don't get much better than that.

It goes without saying,"a bit of issue" is extremely vague, but ShieldsUP! File Sharing checks for NetBIOS ports which are of use only in the LAN for file sharing (back in the 90's) and should be blocked on the WAN by default on any router's firewall built in the last decade. If those are open on the router, even if denied for your file sharing application or service in Pro's firewall, you'll still fail ShieldsUP! - if that's the bit of an issue you're having. If those router ports are open for some server you're hosting, you should pay meticulous attention to your NAT and port routing/forwarding and share point permissions.

Cheers.

Thankis for your reply as well!!

At this point I don't use a router, after all I only have one computer. :-) With my previou firewall (Avira) connection with my computer's Netbios wasn't an issue. I have reported this to tech support and they are quite aware of this. The maddening part about this is that if I do the File Sharing test first then grc.com/ShieldsUP! can connect to my computer's Netbios. If I run a port scan first (Common Ports or All Service Ports) and then run the File Sharing test then my Netbios cannot be connected to. A big bug imho. Hence the question about the firewall components. I just wanted to make sure that the firewall was running properly.

Again, thanks for your reply!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Good to know that Ad-Aware Pro Security will know if some of the drivers are not running.

So far I haven't had Ad-Aware complain.

Servalan

Servalan

Servalan, you're welcome :)

Thankis for your reply as well!!

At this point I don't use a router, after all I only have one computer.

Since you have only one computer, I strongly urge you to disable NetBIOS and network sharing. Unless you are fully aware of some sharing service that depends on it (i.e. Samba, NAS), you don't need those.

Since you don't mention which Windows you run, Google "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP," "Disable File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Disable Clinet for Microsoft Networks."

Perhaps you already have experience with your newtork conrtol panel and the properties panels where those are. Good luck.

BTW, Gibson's ShieldsUP! isn't perfect.

Edited by dallas7
  • Like 1