Sign in to follow this  
petehug

System.IO.IOException in LavaSoft.SearchProtect.WinService.exe on Windows 8

Question

I really want my money back!!!

AdAware is such a piece of crap I had nothing but hassles. In fact I should charge you guys for wasting my time.

I get the error in the subject line all the time. I cancel the unhandled exception occurred dialogue but it reappears a minute later.

One VERY ANGRY customer!

14 answers to this question

Hi petehug,

Please, uninstall Lavasoft Toolbar in Control Panel's list of installed programs.

Let us see what's going on in the computer.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply (press More Reply Options button to see how to attach files).

I see that the file is a part of Lavasoft Web Companion. I've moved this topic to the forum for Web Companion and informed my contact person for Web Companion that her assistance is needed.

In the mean time, please collect and upload the Web Companion logs:

1. Hidden files

To see all files you have to select to show hidden files, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html for a description.
Please, restore the setting when you're done with this instruction.

2. Web Companion folder

Windows Vista, 7 and 8:
Please, find the folder C:\Users\All Users\Lavasoft\Web Companion.
Right-click the folder name and select Send to - Compressed folder.
A new zip file, called Web Companion.zip, will be created.

3. System Information

Windows 8:
Please, right-click on Start button (bottom left corner) and select Search. Search for: msinfo32
When it's listed (may appear as System Information), start that program.
In the System Information window, please select Save in the File menu and save the file where you can find it, e.g. the desktop.
Right-click the saved file and select Send to - Compressed folder.
A new zip file will be created.

Windows Vista, 7:
Please, click on Start button and in the little search field above the start button enter the command: msinfo32
When it's listed above the search field, start that program.
In the System Information window, please select Save in the File menu and save the file where you can find it, e.g. the desktop.
Right-click the saved file and select Send to - Compressed folder.
A new zip file will be created.

4. In the forum

Click on the More Reply Options button, please.

Click on Browse.
Find the Web Companion.zip file.
Click on Open.
Click on Attach This File.

Repeat for the file from System information.

Please, write what you do when the error occurs, and what antivirus program and similar programs you have.

Click on Add Reply to post.

Thank you for your help!

P.S.

To make the computer less vulnerable for exploit of web pages, I recommend that you uninstall these old and vulnerable versions of Java:

Java 7 Update 79 (64-bit)
Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 79
Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 45

Hi petehug,

It seems like there is an incompatibility issue with some of the installed applications/drivers on your machine. We are looking into it and will hopefully have a fix soon.

Meanwhile we advise to uninstall WebComapnion and verify if the problem doesn’t appear anymore.

Thank you for you collaboration.

Sophie

Hi petehug,

It seems like there is an incompatibility issue with some of the installed applications/drivers on your machine. We are looking into it and will hopefully have a fix soon.

Meanwhile we advise to uninstall WebComapnion and verify if the problem doesn’t appear anymore.

Thank you for you collaboration.

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

Probably isn't Web Companion visible in petehug's list of installed programs, since it's shown as hidden in Addition.txt:

"Ad-Aware Web Companion (x32 Version: 2.0.1025.2130 - Lavasoft) Hidden"

It's possible to use FRST to make Web Companion visible. Shall I give the instruction for that?

Here are the requested files:

I will now reinstall web companion.

BTW: I can't uninstall Java RTE and SDK 7 (79) - I need this! Anyway, it isn't on the path and the web browsers I have installed should use JRE 8. I will update Java SDK 8 sometimes in the future but don't really know what the vulnerability should be???

msinfo.zip

Web Companion.zip

Edited by petehug

And the frustration continues....

I rebooted the system after uninstalling Web Companion. Upon restart I was told that I had to update Ad-Aware 11 NOW. I only extremely reluctantly clicked the "go-ahead" button because I know how shoddy your software is. At least I wasn't surprised that as usual, the install failed.

I have so enough of this crap.

But just FYI, I took screenshots of the shitty message boxes. he first one was the "Service Unavailable" with the wheel endlessly spinning and then after a log time I got the "Update Error" screen:

post-107932-0-34875400-1440713536_thumb.jpg
post-107932-0-21986800-1440713538_thumb.jpg

Another 1 hr wasted debugging your crap software for free!!!

post-107932-0-34875400-1440713536_thumb.jpg

post-107932-0-21986800-1440713538_thumb.jpg

Edited by petehug

Ad-Aware 11.8 was released yesterday.

Please, fetch the latest version of Ad-Aware on Lavasoft web site (don't install yet), uninstall all Ad-Aware/Lavasoft programs, restart the computer and install the latest version before restarting the computer again. If you still have problems with Ad-Aware e.g. with activation, please collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/to let Lavasoft investigate it.