Sign in to follow this  
wellborn

Cannot uninstall Ad-Aware Antivirus Free and can't find topic in list elsewhere

Question

Could someone please tell me how to uninstall this Ad-Aware Antivirus Free when it is NOT in my programs list? (I can't simply go to program, uninstall)

I had been a "paid" user for several years but then it didn't catch a virus that caused major problems. When it came up for renewal, I actually did not intend to download any version, but somehow the free version got installed. I've tried and tried to get it off. It's showing in my system tray (white A in orange box) not to mention the lavasoft toolbar. Would someone kindly help me uninstall all of this?

8 answers to this question

by the way...it was suggested that I try installing it again. Well...it says there's an error. So...bottom line i have a program that doesn't work, that I can't uninstall, and I can't install any other antivirus until this comes off. Please help.

It is malware, they don't want you to be able to remove it. I would not send them logs either......your best bet is format and reinstall windows to be safe.

It is malware, they don't want you to be able to remove it. I would not send them logs either......your best bet is format and reinstall windows to be safe.

Hi,

Ad-Aware isn't malware of course and most user can uninstall Add-Aware without any problem. No need to reinstall Windows to remove Ad-Aware.

No problem with sending them Ad-Aware logs and some general information about the computer.

Then explain why it silently installs itself and if you try removing it, it magically reinstalls itself.

Edited by LSMalware

Then explain why it silently installs itself and if you try removing it, it magically reinstalls itself.

It isn't possible to get Ad-Aware antivirus program installed without running its installation program.

That an antivirus program sometimes is difficult to uninstall, doesn't mean that it's malicious. All good antivirus programs are difficult to uninstall since it's difficult to uninstall a program that's running. People don't uninstall an office program or a game at the same time they are using the program, but that's what they do when they uninstall an antivirus program.

• Like 1

It isn't possible to get Ad-Aware antivirus program installed without running its installation program.

That an antivirus program sometimes is difficult to uninstall, doesn't mean that it's malicious. All good antivirus programs are difficult to uninstall since it's difficult to uninstall a program that's running. People don't uninstall an office program or a game at the same time they are using the program, but that's what they do when they uninstall an antivirus program.

true, all true. It's just a badly written program. It is quite easy to uninstall a program that is currently running, I have many programs that do this. They make the program say "Hey program, don't start yourself on boot" and then add the uninstall process to run on boot, then ask the user to reboot. Really not rocket science.

true, all true. It's just a badly written program. It is quite easy to uninstall a program that is currently running, I have many programs that do this. They make the program say "Hey program, don't start yourself on boot" and then add the uninstall process to run on boot, then ask the user to reboot. Really not rocket science.

Hi knifey,

And your programs have several drivers and a service?

Why do you think Symantec has spent money on developing Norton Removal Tool, McAfee onn MCPR, AVG on AVG Remover, Avast on Avastclear ... ?

• Like 1