Sign in to follow this  
IamPissed

Trojan Horse...

Question

I can no longer trust Lavasoft after finding Web Companion on my laptop.

It apparently arrived unwantedly bundled with the K-Lite Codec Pack as a Trojan Horse.

Cnet downloads is just as culpable for being complicit in this scam.

(EDIT: Or did it come in with the Adobe update? Either way, it sucks...)

I wish it merely ironic that an anti-Trojan program installs itself as a Trojan...

Seriously, what the frig? Have you lost your minds?

On top of it all, Lavasoft has a history of using malicious code in their programs.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/security-software-found-using-superfish-style-code-as-attacks-get-simpler/

Edited by IamPissed

3 answers to this question

I can no longer trust Lavasoft after finding Web Companion on my laptop.

It apparently arrived unwantedly bundled with the K-Lite Codec Pack as a Trojan Horse.

Cnet downloads is just as culpable for being complicit in this scam.

(EDIT: Or did it come in with the Adobe update? Either way, it sucks...)

I wish it merely ironic that an anti-Trojan program installs itself as a Trojan...

Seriously, what the frig? Have you lost your minds?

On top of it all, Lavasoft has a history of using malicious code in their programs.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/security-software-found-using-superfish-style-code-as-attacks-get-simpler/

Hi,

Web Companion from Lavasoft isn't a trojan or any other type of malware. It can protect you from adware that hijacks your browser.

Web Companion isn't an anti-trojan program, it is an anti-adware and anti-hijacker program.

But Web Companion can be bundled with other software, e.g. K-Lite Codec Pack, but it's always possible to deselect it during the installation of the other software.

Superfish and other SSL-intercepting code aren't malware, but sometimes they are badly written and can make it easier for malware authors to infect computers. From your link:

Lavasoft appears to have licensed the Komodia engine and put it into the Companion product for inspecting SSL traffic. Most other AV products use similar self-signed certificates to detect SSL-injected threats, but so far there are no reports of other AV companies using such vulnerable implementations.

I like how you defend your skeevy tactics but do not deny them.

At the very least, your stuff installs itself, often does not delete completely, and can break certain functionalities of a PC.

Isn't that the very definition of malware?

I'm an unpaid volunteer here, I don't need to defend Lavasoft or comment on what they do.

No, that isn't the definition of malware:

Malware is defined by its malicious intent, acting against the requirements of the computer user, and does not include software that causes unintentional harm due to some deficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

If you mean that you didn't get any possibility at all to disable the installation of Web Compaonion during the installation of K-Lite Codec Pack, Lavasoft wants to know the link to the program file that you downloaded, since that is against their rules for how Web Companion is allowed to be bundled.