Sign in to follow this  
Marauder2003

Installation without my knowledge ended in loss of 160 Firefox tabs

Question

Hi there,

The Web Companion was silently installed when i installed the K-Lite Codec Pack.

The removal of Web Companion was easy using the uninstall from my startmenu but it left me with 1 Firefox-tab of my standard homepage, all other tabs were gone without any possibility to get them back.

I had very much information on those tab-pages which i still needed and are now extremely hard to get back.

I find it unacceptable that a program that i didn't want installs itself and thereby destroying my surf activity and gathered information from the last few months.

This feels like a hyjack activity and is something i would not expect from Lavasoft.

I am shocked to say the least.

4 answers to this question

Hi Marauder2003,

I'm sorry for your frustration regarding losing the contents of your tabs.

With regards to K-Lite Codec Pack, I've looked at their consent screens and they typically have a clear offer for users to download Web Companion with a "Decline" option located on the same screen. Sorry if you missed the option to decline the offer, but the software is not forced on users without their consent.

In terms of restoring your previous Firefox tabs, please consult these options offered by the Mozilla Firefox team https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-previous-session

I find it unacceptable that a program that i didn't want installs itself

Hi Marauder2003,

If you mean that you didn't get any possibility at all to disable the installation of Web Compaonion during the installation of K-Lite Codec Pack, Lavasoft wants to know the link to the program file that you downloaded, since that is against their rules for how Web Companion is allowed to be bundled.

Don't you have a backup of the Firefox profile?

I have downloaded and installed the Mega version from this website

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I do have some things as a backup but that are only the bookmarks not the entire profile.

Bookmarks are also stored online but that doesn't include tab-pages that are still open.

I had not suspected any change of my webbrowser since i was only installing audio- and videocodecs and didn't expect a web companion to take over my browser.

I have informed my contact person at Lavasoft, but not received a reply yet.