Sign in to follow this  
amsmagic

Blue Screen of Death on Windows 10 - Can't fix! -

Question

Hi all,

TLDR; AD-Aware 11 causes blue screen of death on a fresh install of windows 10. After some research it APPEARS (not 100% tested) to be because windows 10 defender has real time protection ALWAYS on, and aware 11 conflicts. I don't want to install in compatibility mode because I purchased adaware for its real time protection! What can I do?

I've been using AD-Aware since my early days on windows XP, it was always my go too. I switched to Mac OS for quite a few years, but my PC building side had a resurgence so after splurging on building a beast, I'm back to windows. Ad-Aware is all I feel comfortable with using, but it appears I cannot use it because the real time protection feature of windows 10 defender is stuck on. I do not wish to install in the mode that doesn't allow for real time protection from adaware. What can I do?

NOTE: I am not 100% sure that that is the reason of the BSoD, but after research and considering I'm doing this on a clean install of windows that is my conclusion thus far.

Any work Arounds?

Thanks so much,

Anthony

3 answers to this question

Hi all,

TLDR; AD-Aware 11 causes blue screen of death on a fresh install of windows 10. After some research it APPEARS (not 100% tested) to be because windows 10 defender has real time protection ALWAYS on, and aware 11 conflicts. I don't want to install in compatibility mode because I purchased adaware for its real time protection! What can I do?

I've been using AD-Aware since my early days on windows XP, it was always my go too. I switched to Mac OS for quite a few years, but my PC building side had a resurgence so after splurging on building a beast, I'm back to windows. Ad-Aware is all I feel comfortable with using, but it appears I cannot use it because the real time protection feature of windows 10 defender is stuck on. I do not wish to install in the mode that doesn't allow for real time protection from adaware. What can I do?

NOTE: I am not 100% sure that that is the reason of the BSoD, but after research and considering I'm doing this on a clean install of windows that is my conclusion thus far.

Any work Arounds?

Thanks so much,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

During the installation of Ad-Aware, Defender should automatically be disabled. I suggest that you first try with uninstalling Ad-Aware, restarting the computer and then installing Ad-Aware again, and hopefully Defender will be disabled this time.

While Ad-Aware is uninstalled, you maybe can test if the BSOD are gone.

Hi Anthony,

During the installation of Ad-Aware, Defender should automatically be disabled. I suggest that you first try with uninstalling Ad-Aware, restarting the computer and then installing Ad-Aware again, and hopefully Defender will be disabled this time.

While Ad-Aware is uninstalled, you maybe can test if the BSOD are gone.

Thank you for your reply. Just tested this. The BSoD is gone when Ad-Aware is uninstalled. I attempted to uninstall, restart, and reinstall again but windows defender still stays on. I disabled the real time protection feature of defender but I still got the BSoD (assuming because Microsoft says it can automatically turn itself on) To be 100% sure I booted up into a fresh copy of windows onto a fresh SSD, and the problem still occurs. I just paid 24.99 for the year so I'm really hoping to get this resolved.

If it helps these are the computer specs;

Asus Hero Alpha Mobo

Avexir core series Ram 16GB

I7 6700k OC 4.5Ghz

GTX 1080 SC EVGA

Samsung 950 pro SSD

Firecuda SSHD

I don't think it's a hard ware confliction though.

Edited by amsmagic

You're welcome :)

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/33638-collect-logs-for-troubleshooting/

Enable small memory dump file as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263 section "Configure the dump type" and note the path and filename of the dump file.

After a new crash, compress the created dump file into a zip file and upload it, too.

Lavasoft needs those files to investigate your problem.