JimThen

BitDefender Threat Scanner

Question

I got a message from BitDefender about it having a problem. I found this troublesome as I don't have, nor have I ever installed BitDefender. I thought this was a virus, and scanned immediately, nothing was found. I checked around on the web, and after a while I found out that you use components of BD in your program, and this message comes from those parts. It informs the user to report the problem, but beyond the message being generated by BitDefender, nothing tells how to get in touch with them - which is you, but it doesn't say this, of course. Why don't you change this part, and make it easier for people to figure out this is AdAware, and not BitDefender? Why do you use code from another antivirus program, can't you make a much better code yourself? I was trying to attach the BitDefender DMP file, but at the moment I'm unable to attach files for some reason. I will attempt again if you request this file.

5 answers to this question

I got a message from BitDefender about it having a problem. I found this troublesome as I don't have, nor have I ever installed BitDefender. I thought this was a virus, and scanned immediately, nothing was found. I checked around on the web, and after a while I found out that you use components of BD in your program, and this message comes from those parts. It informs the user to report the problem, but beyond the message being generated by BitDefender, nothing tells how to get in touch with them - which is you, but it doesn't say this, of course. Why don't you change this part, and make it easier for people to figure out this is AdAware, and not BitDefender? Why do you use code from another antivirus program, can't you make a much better code yourself? I was trying to attach the BitDefender DMP file, but at the moment I'm unable to attach files for some reason. I will attempt again if you request this file.

Hi Jim,

There are several antivirus companies that work together and use source code from each other. To fight against an enormous amount of new malware files every day, it's necessary for companies to specialize and collaborate, except for the companies that have the largest amount of paying customers.

Since Lavasoft is beta testing version 12 now, they won't make any changes of the error messages in version 11, but I'll forward your suggestion to them and maybe they can change the messages in future versions.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Hi again,

Lavasoft asks if you can upload the dmp file, either if it's possible to upload to the forum if you first pack (zip) the file or please use an online file sharing service, e.g. Dropbox, Microsoft's One Drive or Google Drive.

Please try to describe how to reproduce the error message.

On 12/20/2016 at 1:06 AM, CeciliaB said:

Hi again,

Lavasoft asks if you can upload the dmp file, either if it's possible to upload to the forum if you first pack (zip) the file or please use an online file sharing service, e.g. Dropbox, Microsoft's One Drive or Google Drive.

Please try to describe how to reproduce the error message.

Sorry for never replying to this, Cecilia, after your first reply I unsubscribed from the thread. The .dmp file does not exist, I've never been able to find it! The folder exists, the hexadecimal folder name is identical, but it is empty, no .dmp file, and this happens every time this error appears, back then, and now (see my newest thread).

I get the same error message every time I start up my computer. It is annoying. How do I get rid of it? Do I need to reinstall Adaware?

45 minutes ago, Lavonne said:

I get the same error message every time I start up my computer. It is annoying. How do I get rid of it? Do I need to reinstall Adaware?

Hi @Lavonne,

Please see