Sign in to follow this  
virusesarebad

free version blocking websockets

Question

Hi,

I have the free version of AdAware 12. It's blocking all websocket connections, and I can't change the "web protection" settings without upgrading to the full version.

How do I disable websocket blocking in AdAware 12?

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I have the free version of AdAware 12. It's blocking all websocket connections, and I can't change the "web protection" settings without upgrading to the full version.

How do I disable websocket blocking in AdAware 12?

Hi,

How do you notice that the websocket connections are blocked?

Do you've Web Companion installed according to Control Panel's list of installed programs?

Hi,

How do you notice that the websocket connections are blocked?

Do you've Web Companion installed according to Control Panel's list of installed programs?

I notice because when AdAware 12 is installed and I try to initiate a websocket connection, it fails. But when I uninstall AdAware 12, it connects successfully. Re-installing AdAware 12 again causes all websocket connections to fail.

Control Panel's list of installed programs just says "AdAware 12." It does not distinguish between the Web Companion and the rest of the program.

This was an issue back with AdAware 11 as well. The free version of AdAware comes with Web Protection enabled by default even though there is no way to turn it off as the settings are disabled without paying. A long time ago I asked about the same problem here but for AdAware 11 and I was given a solution, which was to disable a certain system32 file. I do not know if there is an equivalent solution for AdAware 12, but it shares the same problem as AdAware 11 which is that without some sort of manual file deactivation (or uninstalling AdAware altogether) websockets are blocked by default by the program.

Edited by virusesarebad

I notice because when AdAware 12 is installed and I try to initiate a websocket connection, it fails. But when I uninstall AdAware 12, it connects successfully. Re-installing AdAware 12 again causes all websocket connections to fail.

Control Panel's list of installed programs just says "AdAware 12." It does not distinguish between the Web Companion and the rest of the program.

This was an issue back with AdAware 11 as well. The free version of AdAware comes with Web Protection enabled by default even though there is no way to turn it off as the settings are disabled without paying. A long time ago I asked about the same problem here but for AdAware 11 and I was given a solution, which was to disable a certain system32 file. I do not know if there is an equivalent solution for AdAware 12, but it shares the same problem as AdAware 11 which is that without some sort of manual file deactivation (or uninstalling AdAware altogether) websockets are blocked by default by the program.

This is the other topic: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/34269-ad-aware-is-blocking-websockets-ipython-notebook/

The problem usually occurs due to a conflict with a driver from another antivirus or similar program, it isn't the Web Protection feature in the paid versions that is active. Do you have any other anti-virus or anti-malware program installed or had one earlier?

But Ad-Aware 11 and adaware antivirus 12 are rather similar internally, you can try with the old solution if the httproxy.dll is there.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/34421-false-positive-lichessorg/#entry149788