Sign in to follow this  
Oldloophol

Problem getting file definitions

Question

I am trying to install to Windows 8.1 OS; Installation does not complete and demands to update file definitions but just says it is checking and never completes. Also won't

run a scan of any kinds . Software does not appear to be connecting to the internet.

Thanks for advice,

Ed

19 answers to this question

Hi Ed,

Which antivirusprogram and similar programs did you uninstall before starting to use adaware antivirus?

Do you have another firewall, anti-malware program etc. installed?

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/34799-how-to-report-a-problem/ to let Lavasoft investigate your problem.

I uninstalled Ad-aware 12 successfully. I cannot find Ad-aware 11 to uninstall it. Does not appear in the list of programs; but it is there under Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\ ...... etc.... When you try to start it, it also just says , Please wait while we update your definition files ....... and nothing ever happens.

Thanks,

You're welcome :)

Let us see if anything of Ad-Aware 11 is still running after the partial uninstallation.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply (press More Reply Options button to see how to attach files).

Please, uninstall IObit Malware Fighter and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware since they can disturb the (un)installation of Ad-Aware/adaware antivirus (restart the computer after the uninstallation). If you want to, you can install one of them again when you've a working antivirus program. Having both are a known source of problems.

Uninstall Advanced SystemCare also and restart the computer, please.

When you've done that, please start FRST.

Select Addition.txt and let the program scan the computer. Attach the two new log files to your reply and I'll see what we can do with all left-overs of Ad-Aware 11.

I see that you have old Java versions installed. These can be exploited by a hacked/malicious web site. Please update.

You can install Advanced System Care again when adaware antivirus is running, but now it's best to create a Windows environment that disturbs (un)installation as little as possible.

Please, start Notepad.

Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
SSODL: WebCheck - {E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED} -  No File
SSODL-x32: WebCheck - {E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED} -  No File
CHR HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Restriction <======= ATTENTION
BHO: No Name -> {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} -> No File
BHO: No Name -> {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} -> No File
BHO-x32: No Name -> {BA0C978D-D909-49B6-AFE2-8BDE245DC7E6} -> No File
BHO-x32: No Name -> {FFCB3198-32F3-4E8B-9539-4324694ED664} -> No File
Toolbar: HKLM-x32 - No Name - {ba00b7b1-0351-477a-b948-23e3ee5a73d4} -  No File
R2 LavasoftAdAwareService11; C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.14.1023.10544\AdAwareService.exe [630976 2016-12-05] ()
S2 adawareantivirusservice; "C:\Program Files\adaware\adaware antivirus\adaware antivirus\12.0.636.11167\AdAwareService.exe" [X]
S2 AdvancedSystemCareService10; C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare\ASCService.exe [X]
S3 avchv; \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avchv.sys [X]
S3 cpuz138; \??\C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\cpuz138\cpuz138_x64.sys [X] <==== ATTENTION
R4 RegFilter; \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter\drivers\win7_amd64\regfilter.sys [X]
2017-02-25 17:53 - 2016-12-05 20:14 - 00002396 _____ C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Ad-Aware Antivirus.lnk
2017-02-25 17:51 - 2016-11-27 20:34 - 00000000 ____D C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
2017-02-25 17:45 - 2016-11-27 20:34 - 00000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
2017-02-25 17:45 - 2015-12-31 17:59 - 00000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Advanced SystemCare
2017-02-24 20:32 - 2016-11-27 20:35 - 00192216 _____ (Malwarebytes) C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
Task: {1A10F85A-6EFE-4558-B61F-A7B45B680229} - \Tempo Runner cozahost -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: C:\Windows\Tasks\ASC7_SkipUac_Ed.job => C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 7\ASC.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
C:\Program Files\adaware
AlternateDataStreams: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\pdhisxyf.sys:changelist [1210]
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\adawareantivirusservice => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\LavasoftAdAwareService11 => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\adawareantivirusservice => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\LavasoftAdAwareService11 => ""="Service"
Reboot:
and paste in Notepad. Check that no files have been split on two lines.

Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.

Start FRST, please.

Click the Fix button.

Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.

Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

I had a little confusion because although I had a shortcut for FRST64 on the desktop it did not find the fixlist and told me that it had to be in the same folder, so I moved it into downloads......... rebooted and here it is. So I have not done anything else. BTW, I am sure it is beyond your area to want to advise, but could you help with another issue...... this computer never does reboot on it own. It just displays a wait/cycle symbol and goes on that way forever. Eventually the hard drive monitor light goes off and I kill the power and then restart.

thanks,

Fixlog.txt

That the computer can't reboot is a sign of problems in Windows and that can cause other problems with installed programs. The fastest way of solving that is probably to format and install Windows and all programs again.

Can you right-click a file and the context menu is displayed immediately or is it slow or something else happens?

I want you to check that since it's another place where Ad-Aware/adaware could be hidden.

Been gone for 2 days: I think I over stated the problem when I said it was not shutting down. Seems fine now; might have been IObit Advanced System care that you had me remove and also having an external drive (on which I have some pictures and such) open at shut down. I try to run JRT removal tool and CCleaner and then shut down is fine.

Yes, the right click menu comes up instantly on all files and works fine and I am pretty good at moving files around.

So are we done? Does it look like the fix worked? Should I download Adaware 12 now? And I believe you said I could put Iobit back in but not that and Malware Bytes both, correct??

Thanks,

Ed

Yes, I think you can try to install adaware antivirus now.

Yes, it's best to select either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Iobit Malware Fighter, and in my experience Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is better. Don't install it until you're sure that adaware antivirus is working.

• Like 1