Sign in to follow this  
alaneilers

Scam/phishing update popup? "You have to update NOW!"

Question

I have seen a lot of scam/phishing messages that urgently want me to click on the link or button that they provide.

So I get suspicious when I repeatedly receive a nagging popup demanding "You have to update Ad-Aware Free Antivirus NOW!"

In fact the word "now!" is used three times (see attachment).

And it doesn't provide a link that I can point to and see where the link would take me, it provides a button hiding that info.

It also doesn't say what version I would be updating to (though I know it's v12), nor does it provide the Lavasoft logo.

So 2 questions:

1) Is this popup a scam, like a phishing message which the wording seems to imply?

2) If you tell me it's not a scam, but I decide not to update based on the many reports of problems with v12 in your forum, how would I shut off the chronic nagging popup?

Thanks. AE

post-110505-0-24981600-1488396745.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi alaneilers,

Exactly the same message is shown in the user guide: https://www.adaware.com/user-guide/update_from_11_or_lower

so probably not a false message.

I haven't seen anything about how to turn off the nag screen, except for updating, but I'll ask adaware software (former name Lavasoft).

Hi again,

Sorry, you can't get rid of the nag screen every second hour.

CeciliaB

Are you serious?

"Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

Hi again,

Sorry, you can't get rid of the nag screen every second hour."

I researched the problem of constant popupsfrom AdAware online before reading this reply. Along the way I accidentally came across a thread where customers of AVG also had this problem. There were miles and miles of complaints about this practice and AVG lost a lot of customers.

As for me, I recently upgraded to a paid version of Adaware Pro and it has been downhill ever since. First I encountered the long delays in Windows explorer as it became very slow to list files. It also caused unacceptable delays for some programs to load.

CeceliaB, you gracious and very competently led me through a series of tests to identify that problem and ultimately solved the issue. What you don't know is that the problem came back later. The process to clear that problem is just too time consuming to go thru again.

But now that Adaware has followed in AVG's footsteps to put marketing of their products through the very same process of popups that I paid to prevent, and seeing AVG's failure to correct their ways, I am prone to think I'm headed for the same nightmare that AVG's customers experienced. I'm not a gamer, but the popups for AVG gamer customers was a deal breaker. It's a deal breaker for me too as I have work to do and don't need these frequent interruptions throughout my work day. I do a lot of work with DAW software (audio track editing) and the frequent stalls are intolerable and then to have AdAware popups to rub salt in the sore is unacceptable.

Is there a warranty/customer satisfaction guarantee for Adaware Pro vers 12? I want my money back and will go to another antivirus software where these are not issues.

CeciliaB

Are you serious?

"Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

Hi again,

Sorry, you can't get rid of the nag screen every second hour."

I researched the problem of constant popupsfrom AdAware online before reading this reply. Along the way I accidentally came across a thread where customers of AVG also had this problem. There were miles and miles of complaints about this practice and AVG lost a lot of customers.

As for me, I recently upgraded to a paid version of Adaware Pro and it has been downhill ever since. First I encountered the long delays in Windows explorer as it became very slow to list files. It also caused unacceptable delays for some programs to load.

CeceliaB, you gracious and very competently led me through a series of tests to identify that problem and ultimately solved the issue. What you don't know is that the problem came back later. The process to clear that problem is just too time consuming to go thru again.

But now that Adaware has followed in AVG's footsteps to put marketing of their products through the very same process of popups that I paid to prevent, and seeing AVG's failure to correct their ways, I am prone to think I'm headed for the same nightmare that AVG's customers experienced. I'm not a gamer, but the popups for AVG gamer customers was a deal breaker. It's a deal breaker for me too as I have work to do and don't need these frequent interruptions throughout my work day. I do a lot of work with DAW software (audio track editing) and the frequent stalls are intolerable and then to have AdAware popups to rub salt in the sore is unacceptable.

Is there a warranty/customer satisfaction guarantee for Adaware Pro vers 12? I want my money back and will go to another antivirus software where these are not issues.

Hi Ron,

Is there a problem with using the latest version?

The latest version of an antivirus program will protect the computer better than any of the previous versions, regardless of which antivirus program you select.

If you've adware in the computer again, you can try to clean with AdwCleaner yourself.

Regarding warranty etc. you've to contact the support team of adaware software (Lavasoft).