Sign in to follow this  
Clematticus

Turned off real-time protection still stops program from running

Question

Since updating to adaware 12, real-time protection stops some of my programs that I know are virus-free, even tho I have real-time protection turned off. I have to stop adaware entirely to allow the programs to run.

A little box in the lower right corner slides up and says something like "potential malicious program stopped" and the program I was trying to run is stopped, regardless of whether real-time protection is on or off.

Any thoughts? Thx. Clem

5 answers to this question

Guest OlegB

Hello Clematticus, once you turn off AA Real-Time Protection Windows Defender turns on to keep you secure, so the program that you are trying run must be dealing with Windows Defender real-time protection. If there is a software that you want to run on you pc and you know for sure that it is safe and trusted you can always add it in to Exclusions list (start AA desktop -> click Scan Computer -> scroll down click View next to Manage Exclusions -> click add to add a path to program executable file, which ends with extension "programName.exe" for example) . If you will have more questions please provide more info about you windows version and software that you are having hard time running.

Thanks

Here is a screenshot for one of the several executables that adaware stops when run, even tho clearly the real-time protection is off. The notification that fades in on the lower right corner is an adaware notification--not a Microsoft antivirus notification.

Attached too is an online virus detection test .pdf showing adaware and almost all other programs do not even heuristically detect anything, and none show an actual known virus.

The program running is an executable I wrote over a year ago and is not a virus and is not infected by any external virus, but is unusual somewhat in its file handling methods, so maybe that explains why a heuristic real-time analyzer might flag it. But no previous adaware version or update behaved like this when real-time protection was turned off.

Also I tried excluding the folder where it was located from being scanned but adaware still stopped it.

I have a laptop with Win 7 home premium.

Thanks,

Clem

post-107783-0-76712000-1488630518_thumb.png

VirusTotalScan.pdf

Here's another example: this is a very popular chess program (winboard) that adaware 12 stops, which adaware never previously stopped, even with real-time detection turned on.

post-107783-0-13353500-1488635186_thumb.png

Guest OlegB

hi Clematticus, thank you for provided screenshots and detailed reply. In order to provide you with help to your query please allow us couple of days to investigate.

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Guest OlegB

hi Clem,

The reason why latest Adaware Antivirus behavior differs from its previous version is, the latest version has few updates and overall improvements related to dealing with viruses, ransomware, spyware and other forms of malware.

Please provide a screenshot of Adaware Antivirus Exclusions list and Real-Time protection Detection History, if it is possible we would like to have a copy of your executable file (exeFile-i-wrote.exe) for our internal testing, also please collect the logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/34799-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.